Mongoose 2300AD Progress Report

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Mongoose 2300AD Progress Report

Postby Colin » Fri May 27, 2011 9:06 pm

I've been working on 2300AD for a couple of months now, and things are starting to gel quite nicely. Especially now that the Vehicles book is out of the way.
I've got starship design pretty much ironed out. That was a major part of the effort for this book, making 2300AD starship design work with the standard system. It now does, and it is all table-based. I just need to work a little on surface-to-orbit systems.
Most of the spacecraft/starship section is done. Just a couple of ships to add, and then stat them all up.
The vehicle section is done, and I should be able to stat them up over the weekend.
I'm torn on the starmap. While I would like to use a new starmap, it would require a great deal of work, and time. I have to make a decision on it in the next couple of days.
The equipment section is almost done. I just have to add the Sk-19 back in, and it should be good to go.
"Aliens" is complete. Ebers, Sung, Xiang and Blattes, oh my.
Outposts and Enclaves is nearly complete.
Currently working on an expanded DNA modification section.
I've got a fun section on colonial diseases, parasites, and "Planetary Adaptation Syndrome"
I should have a more complete summary in a couple of weeks. 8)
rust
Chief Mongoose

Postby rust » Fri May 27, 2011 9:11 pm

This sounds very good so far. :D

So: Go, Colin, go ! :wink:
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Colin » Fri May 27, 2011 10:16 pm

Oh, right, and Pentapods. Can't forget about Pentapods. They're there, too. Along with a couple of biological starships and the tooth gun.
carandol
Mongoose

Postby carandol » Fri May 27, 2011 10:21 pm

*Really* looking forward to this. Always loved the background but hated the rules :-)

Is the background being updated (in terms of backstory) or is it a sort of alternate future from a WW3 that never happened?
--
Ken Walton
Cakebread & Walton: Purveyors of Fine Imaginings
Clockwork & Chivalry RPG available from Cubicle 7
http://www.clockworkandchivalry.co.uk
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Colin » Fri May 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Updated. My thinking is that 2300AD is a possible future for us. Just like the original game was a possible future for 1986. There is still a Twilight period, which includes a war. Recovery takes a little longer and the rest of the timeline is a little bit more compressed.
carandol
Mongoose

Postby carandol » Fri May 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Colin wrote:Updated. My thinking is that 2300AD is a possible future for us. Just like the original game was a possible future for 1986. There is still a Twilight period, which includes a war. Recovery takes a little longer and the rest of the timeline is a little bit more compressed.
Makes sense! Good luck with it. :-)
--
Ken Walton
Cakebread & Walton: Purveyors of Fine Imaginings
Clockwork & Chivalry RPG available from Cubicle 7
http://www.clockworkandchivalry.co.uk
GJD
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby GJD » Fri May 27, 2011 10:43 pm

Outstanding news.

My personal take is stick with the original star map, it's more accurate than most and if it's a possible future, then stars could have ended up in different positions to where they are now.

G.
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Colin » Fri May 27, 2011 10:57 pm

From my point of view, it is simply far easier to use the original. While I would love to use current data, and real exoplanets, it may not be feasible. I'll see where I am by the end of the weekend.
zero
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby zero » Fri May 27, 2011 11:49 pm

Slowly becoming more interested in this release... especially as my Traveller games are slowly going more hard scifi and travel times are becoming more important due to Reaction Drives.
Thanks to Barnest2 for designing my Stubby 1.0 and for GJD in doing a model also!
Thanks to AndrewW and far-trader for deckplanning my new Darrian ship and Barnest2 for renders!
Dave Chase
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dave Chase » Sat May 28, 2011 12:24 am

Congrats on the progress.

Dave Chase
Freedom is the ability to express your self under your own control
It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.
apoc527
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby apoc527 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:23 am

Is this a real release or fan project? Either way, I'm going to go off gibbering in excitement now.
-Apoc527
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Colin » Sat May 28, 2011 3:02 am

It's a real release, for later this year.
Vile
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Vile » Sat May 28, 2011 3:24 am

Colin wrote:I've got a fun section on colonial diseases, parasites, and "Planetary Adaptation Syndrome"
Sold! :D
apoc527 wrote:Is this a real release or fan project? Either way, I'm going to go off gibbering in excitement now.
It's both! :lol:
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Colin » Sat May 28, 2011 8:00 am

Oh yeah, a section on NPCs and beasties, additional vehicle design rules specific to 2300AD, for use with the new Vehicles books, cortex-hacking, cybernetics, robots, drones, combat walkers, a lexicon, new careers, background options, and lots of fun stuff. Neo-dogs, Pentapod shivas, a bunch of colony worlds, new worlds to explore...

But I'm getting ahead of myself.
crazy_cat
Mongoose

Postby crazy_cat » Sat May 28, 2011 8:37 am

Looking forward to this a lot. Is there any sort of estimate on a date for this beyond 'later this year'?
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die"
Sturn
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sturn » Sat May 28, 2011 3:25 pm

Great to hear this! I own anything ever published about 2300AD and will add this to my list.
-Sturn
"I don't need a medal, God knows what I did" -

SGT William Hisle, US Army, WW2.
Terran Dawn Campaign Guide
Sturn's Shipyard!
SSWarlock
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby SSWarlock » Sat May 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Sturn wrote:Great to hear this! I own anything ever published about 2300AD and will add this to my list.
Same here. I almost prefer 2300AD over the 3rd Imperial because it seemed to be a bit more manageable for me as a GM and a bit more easily related to as a player.

I can feel my credit card starting to get warm already. Excellent, excellent news, Colin; thank you!
Sir Dhaven Hevelin, IOD, Baronet of Fulacin
Owner/Captain - S.S. Warlock

Playing Traveller/RQ/D&D since 1977
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Sat May 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Vile wrote:
Colin wrote:I've got a fun section on colonial diseases, parasites, and "Planetary Adaptation Syndrome"
Sold! :D
apoc527 wrote:Is this a real release or fan project? Either way, I'm going to go off gibbering in excitement now.
It's both! :lol:
I am also sold. And props to Colin for doing this release, which I shall buy a copy of.
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
zero
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby zero » Sun May 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Most interested on the changed spaceship creation rules and surface-to-orbit transits.

Seems v. cool so far :)
Thanks to Barnest2 for designing my Stubby 1.0 and for GJD in doing a model also!
Thanks to AndrewW and far-trader for deckplanning my new Darrian ship and Barnest2 for renders!
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Colin » Mon May 30, 2011 4:39 am

There are multiple types of interface travel available in 2300AD. Starport code from the UWP is changed to reflect what type of commercially available interface travel the world has, not the capabilities of the port. Each successive letter code assumes that the other types mention are also available on that world.
A- Beanstalk
B- Catapult
C- Spaceplane
D- Roton
E- Disposable Rocket
X- None

So a world with a beanstalk also has the other types available
The design system will specifically address spaceplanes, rotons, and rockets, but the book will contain rules for all type.