Book 9: Robots Questions

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
cmdrx
Stoat

Book 9: Robots Questions

Postby cmdrx » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:08 pm

Okay, I like this book. I really do. It definitely looks inspired buy the original Classic Traveller. But I do have to ask a few design questions:

What exactly is a slot? A litre? 10 litres? Some fraction of a cubic metre? I'd like to know so I can place non-standard items in the bot, like weapons from CSC.

Also how many slots does a grav floater, or a grav belt take up? I'd like to make small bots that don't need to use the internal grav module (the only grav propulsion system listed in the book) which takes 6 slots.

My goal is to recreate the small holodrones and sensor drones that are in the Core book (yes I know about the compatibility issues between the 2 systems), or at least a reasonable facsimile. But my ultimate goal is to recreate the Zhodani Warbot and unleash it on an unsuspecting party...
apoc527
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby apoc527 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:21 pm

I hope someone comes along to discuss this. I'm curious!
-Apoc527
Sevya
Mongoose

Postby Sevya » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:22 am

I have the same question about the slots for equipment in other books. the rules say you can put a grav floater on a robot, as well as a grav belt, and any weapons you want. How many slots?

Sevya
apoc527
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby apoc527 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Please Mongoose, enlighten us!
-Apoc527
DFW
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Book 9: Robots Questions

Postby DFW » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:54 pm

cmdrx wrote:What exactly is a slot? A litre? 10 litres? Some fraction of a cubic metre? I'd like to know so I can place non-standard items in the bot, like weapons from CSC.

Also how many slots does a grav floater, or a grav belt take up? I'd like to make small bots that don't need to use the internal grav module
WHAT!? A robotic design system that omits basic, critical info like this? How are you supposed to design without this data?
apoc527
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby apoc527 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:29 pm

I think I've determined, at least, that only frames actually provide slots. Everything else, including limbs, uses them up. This isn't terribly clear and needs to be clarified. OTOH, I'm unclear on how you add stuff to limbs. Seems like they should have slots for weapons and stuff.

And while I don't particularly care what real world measurements for slots are, I'd like a basic rule of thumb for installing grav belts and CSC weapons.
-Apoc527
Sevya
Mongoose

Postby Sevya » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:18 pm

It seems that if you add a head, in the form of a Unit frame, that will also add slots, rather than take them up. Otherwise, my understanding matches yours.

I agree that the only thing I need with this is the mass and slots to add equipment not included in this book. I am happy with it otherwise.

Sevya
The Greek
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Greek » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:34 pm

It is quite acceptable for a Robot to carry a piece of equipment the same way a human might.

So a grav belt, for example, could be worn by the robot. A gun can be carried in its arms. And both cases would take up no slots.

It is acceptable to design a robot with (say) a small arm inbuilt into one of its arms with no extra slot cost. However the arm would then not be able to be used to carry something. (Be sensible, a body pistol in the arm of a huge construction robot is going to be negligable). A rifle would take up a human sized arm, for example.
wibble.
SSWarlock
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby SSWarlock » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:52 pm

I've pretty much been doing what Mongoose Nick has been doing. Yes, it's a SWAG but isn't swagging by GMs one of Traveller's finest traditions? :wink:

It would be nice to get a definitive answer if indeed one can be decided upon.
Sir Dhaven Hevelin, IOD, Baronet of Fulacin
Owner/Captain - S.S. Warlock

Playing Traveller/RQ/D&D since 1977
cmdrx
Stoat

Postby cmdrx » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:48 pm

Ok, I've been fiddling around with the system and figured out a few things.

You can start with a basic frame and add units to it so it doesn't ramp up the mass too much. So I am guessing that 2 Size 1 units != One Size 2 basic frame, these are intended to me modules after all. I use 2 size 1 units and visualize them as a hemisphere, which makes a ball for my probes or drones. Generally if you don't have enough slots, add a unit.

Weapons I had to fudge with. How many slots for the laser rifle on the Zho Warbot? and of course the bot could just carry the weapon in its arms, but that doesn't fit the classic feel.

Another issue is for those bots without manipulators have no DEX score. I'm sure flyers and runners still have some ability to dodge.

I wonder if there will be a robots catalog, like the vehicle and ships catalogs out there now. I wouldn't mind helping make a few designs. ;-)
Nuclear Fridge Magnet
Mongoose

Postby Nuclear Fridge Magnet » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:40 pm

How often do the ABC Warriors of 2000AD use hand-held weaponry? (answer = a lot!)
As long as it's clearly defined - by the GM - is there really a problem?

And before people start moaning, I come from a gaming era where all we had to go on WAS calls by the GM...
"A very wise man once taught me a valuable lesson...
"In space we have nothing. Nothing at all."
DFW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby DFW » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:29 pm

Nuclear Fridge Magnet wrote:And before people start moaning, I come from a gaming era where all we had to go on WAS calls by the GM...
Same here. But, leaving too much to arbitrary guesswork makes for a poor "system" for later published works.
Sevya
Mongoose

Postby Sevya » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:37 am

Mongoose Nick wrote:It is quite acceptable for a Robot to carry a piece of equipment the same way a human might.

So a grav belt, for example, could be worn by the robot. A gun can be carried in its arms. And both cases would take up no slots.

It is acceptable to design a robot with (say) a small arm inbuilt into one of its arms with no extra slot cost. However the arm would then not be able to be used to carry something. (Be sensible, a body pistol in the arm of a huge construction robot is going to be negligable). A rifle would take up a human sized arm, for example.
That's great for a generally human sized and shaped robot. What about designing a large, spherical robot with a grav belt, or a few, built in? What's the performance of a grav belt on a 1000 kg frame? How many are needed to get the performance of a human on a grav belt? What size of a weapon is considered negligible for a size 5 arm? How large of a weapon can be carried in a size 1 arm? These are the issues that I'd like answers for. With the amount of communication gamers now have, GM discretion only goes so far. Without consistent rules on these things, sharing robot designs gets difficult.

Sevya