Noobie with a question

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
harrycanyon
Cub

Noobie with a question

Postby harrycanyon » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:43 am

Hi all,

I haven't played Traveller in <cough, cough> 25+ years... But I recently joined a game. :lol: Fortunately for my character a career in the Star Marines was fairly successful. Regardless, I didn't register to bore you with a character story.

I'm guessing this has already been answered somewhere, but my search-fu isn't up to the task. That said, I've been reading the main book and I'm looking for a resolution to a contradiction I've encountered.

In the Core Rulebook on page 56 under the Medic skill, First aid, it reads: 'The patient regains lost characteristic points equal to the effect.'

However, on page 75 under 'Medical Treatment, First Aid' it reads: '...first aid restores a number of characteristic points equal to twice the Effect of the Medic check.'

So... Which is it? :)

Thanks!

Take care,

Derek
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:54 am

If you're a player, you cite page 75 and hope the Referee doesn't notice the inconsistency on page 56.

If you're a Referee, you cite page 56 and hope that the player doesn't ... oh. Too late. :)
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jeraa » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:25 am

Since the Medic skill itself tells you to go to page 74, I'd use the numbers there. So 2x the effect.

And the Traveller SRD doesn't include the skill examples, so makes no mention of the First Aid section under the Medic skill on page 56. It does have the 2x Effect from page 74 though.
rust
Chief Mongoose

Postby rust » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:37 am

As I read it, First Aid restores 2 x Effect in characteristic points if the
patient is treated within 5 minutes, and only 1 x Effect in characteris-
tic points if the patient is treated later, but within 1 hour.
Iron Guardian
Stoat

Postby Iron Guardian » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Actually I have a bigger question regarding Medic and First Aid:

For first-aid use, the time increment is given as 1d6 minutes under the skill listing;

Under combat, first-aid is given as a miscellaneous significant action, implying an action done within 6 seconds per the time increment given for a combat round;

So, I am a wee bit confused as to whether it should be the more realistic limit of the skill, or the faster give'm-a-shot-and-he's-ready-to-go combat version. I could see slap-patches done per the combat version, other stuff...? :?
"ENOUGH TALK!" -- Conan the Destroyer

"I aim to misbehave" -- Malcolm Reynolds

That which does not kill me, makes me stronger. That which does not make me insane, did not try hard enough.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Iron Guardian wrote:Actually I have a bigger question regarding Medic and First Aid:

For first-aid use, the time increment is given as 1d6 minutes under the skill listing;

Under combat, first-aid is given as a miscellaneous significant action, implying an action done within 6 seconds per the time increment given for a combat round;

So, I am a wee bit confused as to whether it should be the more realistic limit of the skill, or the faster give'm-a-shot-and-he's-ready-to-go combat version. I could see slap-patches done per the combat version, other stuff...? :?
The difference is situational: first aid given under combat conditions, versus first aid delivered under non-combat conditions - an accident on board ship, or someone shooting or stabbing someone in the back or whatever in a non-combat situation, versus all-guns-blazing-and-deadlead-flying-everywhere battle, where one is less likely to have to worry about freak asphyxiation from chewing on a chicken bone than to worry about the risk of high-velocity lead poisoning.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:19 pm

I think I would go with:

1xEffect if in the combat situation (1d6 seconds)
2xEffect if in a non-combaty situation (1d6 minutes)
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
Iron Guardian
Stoat

Postby Iron Guardian » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Ok, I think I know where you're coming from. I suppose if the wound were minor (not resulting in DM penalties or whatever), or the patient just needed reviving from unconsciousness, or something like a slap-patch would suffice I could see the 6-second combat time being used (allowing of course for the minor action of retrieving the item* needed for the first aid).

For more serious stuff (bullet wounds, shock, bleeding out, etc.), I will go with the 1d6 minute increment listed under Medic skill (which kind of fits the 5 minute limit for double effect unless combat is still going on for the duration, then 1 x effect).

Edit:
Combat Turn: 1 x Effect rolled
1d6 Minutes: 2 x Effect rolled out of combat, 1 x effect in combat
Within Hour: 1 x Effect rolled

*Now I just have to keep trying to explain to some of my players why they can't save time by readying the item while they move to the patient as opposed to readying a weapon while moving which I have allowed for a normal move. Gotta get them to understand that medical stuff needs to be more properly stored than just a holstered/slung weapon, and that a medic won't truly know what is needed until he/she reaches the patient. :roll:
"ENOUGH TALK!" -- Conan the Destroyer

"I aim to misbehave" -- Malcolm Reynolds

That which does not kill me, makes me stronger. That which does not make me insane, did not try hard enough.