Trading 'Life Support' Costs for 'Berthing Costs'

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jeraa » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:35 am

Very true :) Say I kept the life support costs then...how would you deal with scout ships exploring an uninhabited or uncivilised subsector without resupply?
Buy the supplies beforehand, and use some cargo space to store it.
DFW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby DFW » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 am

Mithras wrote:Very true :) Say I kept the life support costs then...how would you deal with scout ships exploring an uninhabited or uncivilised subsector without resupply?
They take supplies with them of course.
Mithras
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mithras » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:39 am

Of course, why didn't I think of that. :?

We must be clear about this though, life support seems to be food only. The vessel should be easily able to create water from its fuel stocks, and the oxygen tanks can be refilled on a visit to a breathable atmosphere (Core Book p142).

That leaves Simon's sanitary products, but I don't believe personal hygiene products, laundry and surface cleaning products add much to that Cr2000 total.

Filters et al are part of routine annual maintenance. Same for replacing or redecorating stateroom features, annual maintenance.
Last edited by Mithras on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paul Elliott
HOSTILE: A Gritty SF setting inspired by Alien, Outland and Bladerunner - for Cepheus Engine https://www.paulelliottbooks.com/hostile.html
Mithras
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mithras » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:43 am

In fact, I think it is the older version of Beltstrike that states one ton of long term supplies lasts 50-man weeks and costs Cr25,000.
Paul Elliott
HOSTILE: A Gritty SF setting inspired by Alien, Outland and Bladerunner - for Cepheus Engine https://www.paulelliottbooks.com/hostile.html
simonh
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby simonh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:54 am

I think starships would routinely carry enough supplies to last a month at least, in case of emergencies. Maybe 2 months. It's probably a regulatory requirement. Scout and military ships would carry more, but it's not worth the hassle factoring in the storage space. Just assume they have a little less space for living quarters than civies.

Annual maintenance fees don't take into account the higher cost of maintaining and refurbishing living space as against cargo space or fuel tankage.

Edit: Well, it does to an extent. Each stateroom costs Cr500 per year in maintenance, which is pathetically low IMHO if it's going to include life support, crew supplies, refurbishing and such IMHO. Halve that to Cr250 per year per crew for double occupancy.

Simon Hibbs
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:02 pm

I would go with costs per person based on class of passage.

Treat crew Officers (Merchant Rank 3+) as High Passengers and Enlisted (Rank 0-2) as Middle Passengers.

Cost per MONTH for Life Support:

Middle/Barracks Passenger: Cr. 1,000
High Passenger: Cr. 2,000
Luxuries: Cr. 500 per ton

One month of Life Support is subsumed within the Stateroom tonnage, if additional supplies are desired on board (long-range survey missions for example) then each Person/Month of Life Support takes up 0.02 tons (50 persons per month) at the costs above per person by Class of passage.

The Life Support Cost for a Barracks (Which is not given in ANY book) is the same as a Middle Passenger (Protien Packs in a variety of colors). Luxuries represent the extra cost for fine dining, swimming pool cleaning etc.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
DFW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby DFW » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Mithras wrote: We must be clear about this though, life support seems to be food only. The vessel should be easily able to create water from its fuel stocks, and the oxygen tanks can be refilled on a visit to a breathable atmosphere (Core Book p142).

That leaves Simon's sanitary products, but I don't believe personal hygiene products, laundry and surface cleaning products add much to that Cr2000 total.

Filters et al are part of routine annual maintenance. Same for replacing or redecorating stateroom features, annual maintenance.
Yes, the majority of the monthly stateroom costs would have to be food. In reality they could recover enough O2 from the CO2 to not have to replenish O2 for years.

Given that, a couple tons of cargo space in a Type S would be sufficient for months of duty without returning to base.