Deneb Sector

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Deneb Sector

Postby AndrewW » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:52 pm

Finally, we continue fleshing out the Third Imperium, with a brand new sector to explore.
July 2011
DFW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby DFW » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Very cool
kafka
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby kafka » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Very nice. Thanks! Deneb gets neglected. I would be interested be know which sources they are using. I know that Traveller's Digest was a venerable gold mine of info.
As long as there are stars in the sky and dreams about the universe, as long as there are chronicles of high adventure to recount, there will always be Traveller.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:11 pm

TNE:1248 Spinward States describes the Deneb sector in the 1248 era. Published by Avenger.

Although no longer available due to licensing issues, I believe it will be released by FFE as part of one of their CDs.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
kafka
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby kafka » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:36 am

Oh yeah, that's right..I had forgotten about that source...as the ComStar stuff were so text heavy (often the only art was the cover), they were a chore to read through. I hope Liam/Daniel is on board, as I love his Spica merc book. Plus, our conversations over at the COTI always were interesting to get the first hand account of things.
As long as there are stars in the sky and dreams about the universe, as long as there are chronicles of high adventure to recount, there will always be Traveller.
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:01 pm

kafka wrote:Oh yeah, that's right..I had forgotten about that source...as the ComStar stuff were so text heavy (often the only art was the cover), they were a chore to read through. I hope Liam/Daniel is on board, as I love his Spica merc book. Plus, our conversations over at the COTI always were interesting to get the first hand account of things.
I hate to say this about anything Spica or MG do, but if Liam Devlin is involved then I will not buy it.
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
rust
Chief Mongoose

Postby rust » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Jame Rowe wrote: I hate to say this about anything Spica or MG do, but if Liam Devlin is involved then I will not buy it.
May I ask why, if it is nothing personal ? :?
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:35 pm

rust wrote:
Jame Rowe wrote: I hate to say this about anything Spica or MG do, but if Liam Devlin is involved then I will not buy it.
May I ask why, if it is nothing personal ? :?
He and I have had difficulties communicating--we have only ever met online but his vision of Traveller seems unwilling to allow space for mine.

rust
Chief Mongoose

Postby rust » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Jame Rowe wrote: He and I have had difficulties communicating--we have only ever met online but his vision of Traveller seems unwilling to allow space for mine.
Ah, I see and understand. I also have some authors of game material on
a kind of "blacklist" because their version of a setting is not compatible
with my idea of it.
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:49 pm

It's more of a personal thing; a friend let me read his copies of the Avenger stuff, and I'd liked it. The distance is borne of online behavior, I fear.

GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:58 am

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:TNE:1248 Spinward States describes the Deneb sector in the 1248 era. Published by Avenger.

Although no longer available due to licensing issues, I believe it will be released by FFE as part of one of their CDs.
Deneb also got MT-era and TNE-era stats in the fully GDW "Regency Sourcebook", so there is no need to depend on 3rd party material, shiny as it could be.
daryen
Mongoose

Postby daryen » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:10 am

GypsyComet wrote:
Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:TNE:1248 Spinward States describes the Deneb sector in the 1248 era. Published by Avenger.

Deneb also got MT-era and TNE-era stats in the fully GDW "Regency Sourcebook", so there is no need to depend on 3rd party material, shiny as it could be.
"Third-party" or not, it is still canon. Mongoose already has 1248 Spinward States; there is no reason for them to go searching for it. They have had it for quite a while, actually.

That said, their best source is probably the Regency Sourcebook. Also, DGP's Travellers' Digest did spend a lot of time in Deneb, and they covered a lot of ground in it prior to the Rebellion.

That all said, I hope they keep the broad brush strokes and just go from there irrespective of what was in Travellers' Digest, the Regency Sourcebook, or in Spinward States. Deneb is a bad mis-mash of stuff that is heavily weighed down by badly applied Rebellion changes. Trying over would actually be a good thing.
Liam Devlin
Banded Mongoose

Postby Liam Devlin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:42 pm

rust wrote:
Jame Rowe wrote: He and I have had difficulties communicating--we have only ever met online but his vision of Traveller seems unwilling to allow space for mine.
with my idea of it.
And that is as it should be Herr Rust. One should be free to choose which author's stuff one buys. Governments and freedoms aside, the purchaser still remains in charge of their own wallet.

Mssr Jame,

You may continue to boycott anything that I write for, Traveller or otherwise. That is your perogative. If it makes any difference, and in the issue of the civility of these boards, I did chastise you strongly at the time. You have my apologies sir.

in passing through,

Liam Devlin
"You talk the talk, can you walk the walk?"

"Any use of written materials by the author without his express written permission will require a really good lawyer."
Liam Devlin
Banded Mongoose

Postby Liam Devlin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:44 pm

kafka wrote:Oh yeah, that's right..I had forgotten about that source...as the ComStar stuff were so text heavy (often the only art was the cover), they were a chore to read through. I hope Liam/Daniel is on board, as I love his Spica merc book. Plus, our conversations over at the COTI always were interesting to get the first hand account of things.
Not to be viewed as a spoiler,

No I am not.

regards,

Liam Devlin
"You talk the talk, can you walk the walk?"

"Any use of written materials by the author without his express written permission will require a really good lawyer."
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:01 pm

rust wrote:
with my idea of it.
It stems more from my having given him what I had honestly thought was a compliment, and he reacted as if I'd insulted him. So I think I'd better never speak to him directly again (thus to avoid the situation repeating itself, which given how my mind works could well happen).

GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:10 pm

daryen wrote:That said, their best source is probably the Regency Sourcebook. Also, DGP's Travellers' Digest did spend a lot of time in Deneb, and they covered a lot of ground in it prior to the Rebellion.

That all said, I hope they keep the broad brush strokes and just go from there irrespective of what was in Travellers' Digest, the Regency Sourcebook, or in Spinward States. Deneb is a bad mis-mash of stuff that is heavily weighed down by badly applied Rebellion changes. Trying over would actually be a good thing.
Without the 5FW to rile things up, Deneb is going to look pretty static right up to when the Vargr invade in 1117 or so. It is a bit of a mash-up sector, with conflicting influences from the frontier and the Imperial core and little clear identity of its own. That can be used as the identity itself, with a little work.
BFalcon
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby BFalcon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:14 pm

LOL thanks Gypsy - I overlooked this one...
Leomund
Cub

Postby Leomund » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:14 pm

I like very much seeing a book for Deneb too.

I have plenty of questions about this sector, who seem at the heart of the political power of the region.
rje
Mongoose

Postby rje » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:26 pm

Deneb doesn't sound like an easy job. It would have to consolidate material, but I think it would have to be a unified work.

What's the "point" of Deneb sector? I know that sounds absurd. Deneb "is", just as the Marches "is". A sector is a big place; there's room for a billion plot points. At the same time, it seems that there should be a few overarching themes or purposes or ... or whatevers.

The Marches is defined by its borders. A number of states collide there. In that respect it's not unlike a frontier. And note that even the Marches has trouble making certain subsectors interesting (Lunion, Mora, even Glisten), with or without interesting borders. Deneb has two borders. Vargr states to coreward, and the Great Rift to trailing/rimward. It would be a mistake to try to make Deneb another Marches. Why bother?

From what I recall, Deneb was supposed to be defined by research. So in effect it's the Los Alamos of the Imperium. That might be a way to start.
Deneb author and FFE Minion.
BFalcon
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby BFalcon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Well, given that there's only what... 2 subsectors of Imperial space in Spinward before you hit Deneb, I'd suggest that Deneb would also be the main defensive effort of the Imperial Navy in the event that the Zhodani attacked (and the Imperials seem paranoid about such an event). It's either a case of go through Deneb and into corridor or try to get a major fleet across the Claw...

The risk of serious attack from the Vargr seems only slight - the main risk is raiding - so Deneb seems, to me, to be the main defensive point in the region, with corridor being the secondary - Spinward would be able to defend to a point, but I'd expect the Zhodani, if there was another war, to try to block off the area by launching a strike into Deneb to prevent Imperial forces in Spinward and Trojan from being reinforced from the main fleets.