Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
SJE
Mongoose

Cthonian Stars news - Traveller book still coming out

Postby SJE » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:49 am

Repost from here
Press Release

Chthonian Stars Set For Release!

Fans have been eagerly awaiting the release of Chthonian Stars: the Cthulhu Saga I, an original Lovecraftian sci-fi/horror setting for the classic Traveller roleplaying game. This project was to be published by Mongoose Publishing, though developed by WildFire, the team that created the award-winning CthulhuTech. Over the last month, these two companies have agreed to part ways.

There's good news for Traveller fans, however, as WildFire will be releasing both the Chthonian Stars Core Setting and the Horrors of the Void monster books as PDF's on DriveThru RPG – with the option for physical copies through OneBookShelf's new print-on-demand program. The Core Setting is scheduled to be released in April 2011, as originally planned, with Horrors of the Void following in June 2011.

On the other hand, WildFire will be taking Chthonian Stars in its own new direction, starting in June 2011. Through their partnership with Sandstorm Productions, WildFire will be re-tooling the product for proprietary release. The brand new Chthonian Stars will likely see a name change, and be home to a brand new system. The entire product will have a focus on accessibility, making it easy for new players to pick up and play the game.

The new Chthonian Stars Core Book will be available as a complete roleplaying book in June 2011, through standard distribution and retail. The revised Horrors of the Void monster book will be available as the first supplement in September. The rest of the line will follow in 2012, starting in January.

Details about these books final sizes, page counts, and price points will be available as they are solicited.
SJE
Mongoose

Postby SJE » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:51 am

While I think claiming it was originally intended for an April 2011 release (as opposed to Oct 2010 as reported many times in S&P) is a fairly egregious example of marketing pushing a revision of the historical record, I'm glad that I'll be able to buy a hardcopy (and PDF) version of the Cthonian Stars Traveller setting book in the near future.

SJE
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:20 pm

This is great news, and will make a friend of mine very very happy!
Al B. [B-)
Say what's that, a new game? M-U-S-T   B-U-Y G-A-M-E!

The first, Since 9/2008, MGT-Aids@yahoogroups.com
Gamerguy
Stoat

Postby Gamerguy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:40 am

8)

Nice! I will be picking this up.

Good news at last!

:D
Gee4orce
Banded Mongoose

Postby Gee4orce » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:57 am

Some artwork has been posted over at RPG.net

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?569 ... man-Hybrid
AKAmra
Banded Mongoose

Postby AKAmra » Wed May 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Cthonian Stars is out in PDF; it'll be a couple more weeks before its offered in POD.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...urers_id=3225&
zero
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby zero » Wed May 04, 2011 4:27 pm

I'm gonna pick this up next week. My gf has exp in Trav and the Mythos now so I can set up a game as soon as I pick it up. Plus I have much love for a game detailing a harder scifi setting than Trav.
Thanks to Barnest2 for designing my Stubby 1.0 and for GJD in doing a model also!
Thanks to AndrewW and far-trader for deckplanning my new Darrian ship and Barnest2 for renders!
Ronin84

Postby Ronin84 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Got it! Am now reading and really enjoying this!
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Wed May 04, 2011 6:07 pm

AKAmra wrote:Cthonian Stars is out in PDF; it'll be a couple more weeks before its offered in POD.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...urers_id=3225&
That got "shrunk" because it was not posted as a url. Try this: Cthonian Stars for Traveller PDF
Al B. [B-)

Ronin84

Postby Ronin84 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:51 pm

I just finished reading this and I am very excited about it! One of my players had been wanting to play Traveller but not in the 3I but something more akin to this setting.

I thought that it was well written, especially the story portions before each chapter...or break point. g

IS this going to be the only product that will be geared towards Traveller? In the game they advertise other titles but I wasn't sure if that was going to be using a different system.
zero
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby zero » Wed May 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Anyone else got this yet? Whats your opinion and what are the colonies and new ships like?

Also yes, Wildfire have since gone and changed this game to "The Void" and will be rereleasing it in print with a new rulesystem and the following supplement books will be geared toward the new system (though you could still use the fluff)
Last edited by zero on Wed May 04, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to Barnest2 for designing my Stubby 1.0 and for GJD in doing a model also!
Thanks to AndrewW and far-trader for deckplanning my new Darrian ship and Barnest2 for renders!
AKAmra
Banded Mongoose

Postby AKAmra » Wed May 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Wildfire is going to publish the core book and Horrors of the Void using Traveller rules.

Then they are going to re-start the line using their own system called The Void. The Void will republish the material in Cthonian Stars and Horrors of the Void and continue with more books - those additional books will not be offered using the Traveller system - Traveller just gets the first two books.
Ronin84

Postby Ronin84 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:07 am

AKAmra wrote:Wildfire is going to publish the core book and Horrors of the Void using Traveller rules.

Then they are going to re-start the line using their own system called The Void. The Void will republish the material in Cthonian Stars and Horrors of the Void and continue with more books - those additional books will not be offered using the Traveller system - Traveller just gets the first two books.
Well I'm glad we get the first two books and that will be all that I buy then...
Nathan Brazil
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Nathan Brazil » Thu May 05, 2011 4:00 pm

Just got it.

It has those Fun Guys from Pluto and Bholes/Dholes and our bad neighbors from off the Eastern US Seaboard (as opposed to our good friends on the other side of the pond :wink: )

It has new reules for character advantages/disadvantages which can be purchased during character creation, half-terms for character creation and other goodies.
0401 X55A670-A S he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+ 733
IMTU tc+ tm tn++ t4+ tg t20++ ru ge++ 3i+ c+ jt-- au- ls pi+ ta he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+
zero
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby zero » Thu May 05, 2011 7:27 pm

^ Sorry, I just didnt get the Eastern baddie reference, I got the Fun Guy one though, nice :wink:

I cant wait to get this when I get the money, I already have a Pbp with a full story planned :)
AKAmra
Banded Mongoose

Postby AKAmra » Fri May 06, 2011 2:43 am

zero wrote:^ Sorry, I just didnt get the Eastern baddie reference, I got the Fun Guy one though, nice :wink:

I cant wait to get this when I get the money, I already have a Pbp with a full story planned :)
You may find the Seethari an interesting read; it appears to be the Cthonian Stars' spin on Aliens.
zero
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby zero » Fri May 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Cool, if theres anything that links into what I got planned I'll phase it in somehow, but what I got already is pretty decent :)
AKAmra
Banded Mongoose

Postby AKAmra » Sat May 07, 2011 12:43 am

I didn't think you'd want to use them, the original Alien is much cooler, just thought you'd be interested to know there's a CS version.
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Sat May 07, 2011 1:45 am

I've been looking over the Chtholian Stars book. Nicely done. Good CharGen. I think I'm going to start running this at cons
Al B. [B-)

AKAmra
Banded Mongoose

Postby AKAmra » Sat May 07, 2011 6:02 am

I like the Cthonian Stars book too. But, I'm not thrilled with the "solar system only" aspect. I wish they would have kicked it out to at least a limited interstellar game like Cthulhu Rising or Traveller 2300.

The upside for me money wise is that I may pass on the Void books and just get the two Traveller books and then mash them with Cthulhu Rising and/or Traveller 2300 (I'm also considering a Mass Effect crossover, but now I'm rambling…)