Noob Question

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
dutch206
Shrew
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 1:43 pm
Location: Central Illinois, United States

Postby dutch206 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Well, I'm kicking the law level on Psions down to 5. (Illegal for everyone except government agents).

I figure it's the same thing as gun laws; If you outlaw guns, then only the outlaws will have them. This way, there is a government agency responsible for hunting down outlaw psions.

Get ready for your next big shock. I've never seen an episode of B5. :shock:
Stop griping about the maps being in Kilometres. Multiply by 0.625 to find Miles.
DFW
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2956
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:24 pm

Postby DFW » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:43 pm

dutch206 wrote:Get ready for your next big shock. I've never seen an episode of B5. :shock:
No shock. I haven't either. Tend to stay away from TV for quite some time now.
rust
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5941
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:17 pm
Location: Sonthofen / Germany

Postby rust » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:04 pm

dutch206 wrote: If you outlaw guns, then only the outlaws will have them.
Our police officers seriously dislike to be called outlaws. :lol:
Somebody
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1359
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:18 pm

Postby Somebody » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:08 pm

rust wrote:
dutch206 wrote: If you outlaw guns, then only the outlaws will have them.
Our police officers seriously dislike to be called outlaws. :lol:
A come on there are a few more armed germans civilians. Hunters, Sport shooters and the children of those two groups running amok.
rust
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5941
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:17 pm
Location: Sonthofen / Germany

Postby rust » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:10 pm

Somebody wrote: A come on there are a few more armed germans civilians. Hunters, Sport shooters and the children of those two groups running amok.
True, but only the latter ones could be considered outlaws. :D
Somebody
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1359
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:18 pm

Postby Somebody » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Well, I would add weapon owners who break all rules about safe storage of weapons and allow the amok run in the group. Sure the storage locker is costly and inconvinient but weapons ownership is restricted to responsible persons by the rules (I am a sports shooter, pistol and ordonance, myself)
DFW
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2956
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:24 pm

Postby DFW » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Somebody wrote:Well, I would add weapon owners who break all rules about safe storage of weapons and allow the amok run in the group. Sure the storage locker is costly and inconvinient but weapons ownership is restricted to responsible persons by the rules (I am a sports shooter, pistol and ordonance, myself)
Them's the breaks when you live in a High LL place. ;)
rust
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5941
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:17 pm
Location: Sonthofen / Germany

Postby rust » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:18 pm

DFW wrote: Them's the breaks when you live in a High LL place. ;)
On the plus side, with a population of about 82 million we only have about
160 to 180 cases of guns illegally fired at persons each year, and most of
this stays within the "milieu" - for a normal person the probability to be
attacked with a gun is almost nil. :wink:
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1225
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:52 pm
Location: Boston Area, MA/USA
Contact:

Postby Jame Rowe » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:46 pm

rust wrote:
Somebody wrote: A come on there are a few more armed germans civilians. Hunters, Sport shooters and the children of those two groups running amok.
True, but only the latter ones could be considered outlaws. :D
Watch out for chain-smoking 12 year old ones. Especially the females of that sort.
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
MektonZero
Weasel
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:49 am

Postby MektonZero » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:45 am

rust wrote:
DFW wrote: Them's the breaks when you live in a High LL place. ;)
On the plus side, with a population of about 82 million we only have about
160 to 180 cases of guns illegally fired at persons each year, and most of
this stays within the "milieu" - for a normal person the probability to be
attacked with a gun is almost nil. :wink:
Some of the Swiss Cantons have nearly universal levels of gun ownership in the home due to military weapons held by reservists, but homicide of any kind is almost unheard of. On the other hand, in the US there are more people killed per capita with handy blunt objects than the entire homicide rate for many other western countries. This doesn't mean the US needs blunt object control, it just illustrates one of the unpleasant side effects of the major cultural differences between the US and most Western European nations.
rust
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5941
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:17 pm
Location: Sonthofen / Germany

Postby rust » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:59 am

MektonZero wrote:
Some of the Swiss Cantons have nearly universal levels of gun ownership in the home due to military weapons held by reservists, but homicide of any kind is almost unheard of.
True, but a registered assault rifle is really not the kind of weapon any
sane person would use for a crime - one cannot conceal it, it is extreme-
ly loud, and it is somewhat difficult to explain the missing ammunition
when the rifle has to be presented.
The typical gun used for a crime is a much smaller handgun, and these
are just as uncommon in Switzerland as they are here in Germany.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests