MGT Traveller boardgames?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
G. K. Zhukov
Mongoose

MGT Traveller boardgames?

Postby G. K. Zhukov » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:37 am

Matt, we have been pestering you with the Traveller character miniatures issue for a long time (with no official response so far I may add :twisted: ), but how about Traveller hex-and-counter boardgames in the old fashion?

I mean both Classic Traveller and Traveller: The New Era had several boardgames ranging from skirmish combat (Snapshot! and Azhanti High Lightning) to strategic warfare (Fifth Frontier War, Imperium), as well as individual and squadron-level starship combat (Brilliant Lances and Battle Rider).

Any chance that Mongoose might consider a boardgame compatible with the RPG on... let's say... personal/starship combat, pocket empire building, trading, etc.?

Thanks!
Cyphr
Stoat

Re: MGT Traveller boardgames?

Postby Cyphr » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:38 pm

G. K. Zhukov wrote:Matt, we have been pestering you with the Traveller character miniatures issue for a long time (with no official response so far I may add :twisted: ), but how about Traveller hex-and-counter boardgames in the old fashion?

I mean both Classic Traveller and Traveller: The New Era had several boardgames ranging from skirmish combat (Snapshot! and Azhanti High Lightning) to strategic warfare (Fifth Frontier War, Imperium), as well as individual and squadron-level starship combat (Brilliant Lances and Battle Rider).

Any chance that Mongoose might consider a boardgame compatible with the RPG on... let's say... personal/starship combat, pocket empire building, trading, etc.?

Thanks!
That would be a good spinoff for Traveller. A series of stand alone boardgames, with rules incorporating characters, would be fun and great tools for a campaign. I really like the idea of the empire building game.

A set trade/corporate rule maybe part of the upcoming Merchant Prince if I read the product description correctly.
Dave Chase
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dave Chase » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:09 pm

I asked this last year, and if I remember correctly, nothing is in the works at this time (or for several years).

Dave Chase
Freedom is the ability to express your self under your own control
It is also the right to walk away from those you don't want to listen to.
G. K. Zhukov
Mongoose

Postby G. K. Zhukov » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:09 pm

After the announcement of FFG's Star Wars license (and especially the X-Wing game), my thoughts came back to the subject of this thread...

Any news on the Traveller boardgaming front?
rust
Chief Mongoose

Postby rust » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:12 pm

I doubt that Mongoose has a license for Traveller board games, and I
suspect that such a board game would sell badly - most producers of
strategic board games have gone out of business long ago.