3I Tech vs. Traveller Tech

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Lord Kruge
Stoat

3I Tech vs. Traveller Tech

Postby Lord Kruge » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:32 am

In the CT vs. MGT thread, Bryan Steele dropped in to say that the weapons in the CSC and Mercenary won't be in any 3I book because the 3I setting does not incorporate everything in the wider MGT ruleset. That makes perfect sense to me, but raises the question...

What tech is the 3I limited to, and where is the best place to get that information?

Thanks
G. K. Zhukov
Mongoose

Postby G. K. Zhukov » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:20 am

Peter Vernon created a 53-page "Consolidated Equipment List" for previous versions of Traveller, compiling data from canonical sources. It is not exactly what you are after, but it might serve to define what IS used in the 3I setting.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/20602564/Cons ... -Traveller
Matian
Mongoose

Postby Matian » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:18 pm

If you're looking for canon, I can't help out on that. I go more for what feels right within a particular context rather than overall hand and fast rules.

It is generally safe to say that TL 11-12 is common, low tech corresponds with the TL of the planet (with exceptions for flavour/story), and high tech is 13-14. I have TL 15 items present in my 3I campaign, but they're almost exclusively in the hands of the military or high-ranking government officials. Players are allowed some higher tech items (like vacc suits) which are common place in illustrations and other versions of Traveller, but they must track them down first.

Almost none of my players are big on "stuff", so this doesn't come up too often.

TL;DR: Go with what works for YTU, and the Traveller wiki and UWPs help a lot on a planet by planet basis.
There is a positive correlation between the amount of work I have to do and the amount I post on the forums.
Vargr
Stoat

Re: 3I Tech vs. Traveller Tech

Postby Vargr » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:27 pm

Lord Kruge wrote:In the CT vs. MGT thread, Bryan Steele dropped in to say that the weapons in the CSC and Mercenary won't be in any 3I book because the 3I setting does not incorporate everything in the wider MGT ruleset.

Really? There a metric ton of stuff in the CSC which is OTU-legit. :?
Lord Kruge wrote: What tech is the 3I limited to, and where is the best place to get that information?

In ITU you get to pick and choose, just go with what you like from any source taking into account the Imperial Tech maximum (15). There is very little in CSC that breaks this limit anyway.

But if you want ITO to be as faithful to OTU as possible weapons-wise I would suggest this link http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Weapons

All those items have been taken from CT/MT/TNE/T4, the page for each weaon indicates the source and canon status.
B_Steele
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby B_Steele » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:52 pm

Really? There a metric ton of stuff in the CSC which is OTU-legit.
What he meant to quote me as saying was that not EVERYTHING in the CSC and Mercenary were built for the 3I . :) It came from a thread where people were having the same old revolving-door silly debate about whether Traveller is a system or a setting. :roll:

Anyway, as I wrote Mercenary and had a lot of work in the CSC, I just wanted to make sure that people knew that the Traveller line is more than just the 3I.

Does that make a bit more sense now? :)

-Bry
Vargr
Stoat

Postby Vargr » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:05 pm

Mongoose Steele wrote:What he meant to quote me as saying was that not EVERYTHING in the CSC and Mercenary were built for the 3I . :) It came from a thread where people were having the same old revolving-door silly debate about whether Traveller is a system or a setting. :roll:
Really? The answer is obvious: it's both. And you can use System, Setting or System + Setting. Well, at least I think it's obvious...
Mongoose Steele wrote:Anyway, as I wrote Mercenary and had a lot of work in the CSC, I just wanted to make sure that people knew that the Traveller line is more than just the 3I.
As it has been for, gee...decades? Another obvious one, I think. :wink:
Mongoose Steele wrote:Does that make a bit more sense now? :)

Yup.

The CSC is quite wonderful btw.
B_Steele
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby B_Steele » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:26 am

The CSC is quite wonderful btw.
Martin did most of the grunt work; I just got to add a bunch of flash and hutzpah after he was done. :) But thank you, all the same.

-Bry