So, Mongoose...other milieus, 1248 and all that.

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Charakan
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:35 am
Location: Nottingham UK

So, Mongoose...other milieus, 1248 and all that.

Postby Charakan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:50 pm

I'm currently rereading MJD's excellent 1248 books and I think he did a great job of sorting out all the loose threads of the whole MegaTraveller and TNE history and bringing about the birth of the 4th Imperium (there were some stirring tales of honor and heroism during the Dark Years that made me feel quite emotional - the sign of a well written product).

So I'm wondering if Mongoose have any plans to publish materials in other eras of the OTU, 1105 is great or the classic traveller campaign but its a bit stagnant up until the assassination.

1248 is a timeline that has great potential for players and gamemasters alike - a lot of the old orders and predjudices are gone and large parts of charted space lay in ruins.

So any plans to expand on this or any other OTU period?
FreeTrav
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:46 am
Location: Greater NYC
Contact:

Postby FreeTrav » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:01 am

As I recall, 1248 came out as 'systemless' sourcebooks, and thus can be used essentially as they stand, even with Mongoose Traveller. If you want more 1248, you would probably be well-advised to post your inquiry to the attention of MJD.

That said, I would certainly hope that Mongoose would endorse such further expansion of 1248.
Jeff Zeitlin
Editor, Freelance Traveller
The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller® Magazine and Resource
Charakan
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:35 am
Location: Nottingham UK

Postby Charakan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:12 am

FreeTrav wrote:As I recall, 1248 came out as 'systemless' sourcebooks, and thus can be used essentially as they stand, even with Mongoose Traveller. If you want more 1248, you would probably be well-advised to post your inquiry to the attention of MJD.

That said, I would certainly hope that Mongoose would endorse such further expansion of 1248.
I was thinking about new 1248 material for other players and an advancement of the OTU timeline. I have the 1248 books in PDF but I think due to licensing agreements they aren't available to purchase any more, checking DTRPG earlier I couldn't find them for sale under either the TNE section or the Comstar section.
Charakan
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:35 am
Location: Nottingham UK

Postby Charakan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:42 am

I also thought that if MJD wanted to continue with the 1248 timeline he might have to do it through Mongoose, but then again I'm fairly ignorant of the whole licensing situation and politics of designing/releasing stuff for the game.
FreeTrav
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:46 am
Location: Greater NYC
Contact:

Postby FreeTrav » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:50 am

Charakan wrote:I also thought that if MJD wanted to continue with the 1248 timeline he might have to do it through Mongoose, but then again I'm fairly ignorant of the whole licensing situation and politics of designing/releasing stuff for the game.
Well, he's still releasing material through Comstar (Project Steel, for one), probably under Comstar's license (and I don't know whether that license is from Marc directly or from Mongoose). As I said, he's probably the best one to ask.
Jeff Zeitlin
Editor, Freelance Traveller
The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller® Magazine and Resource
Charakan
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:35 am
Location: Nottingham UK

Postby Charakan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:03 am

I've got to say I'm being just a little selfish here. I wrote two scenarios this week set in 1105 for players that are fairly new to Traveller and I just can't bring myself to run them!

I did a lot of the classic traveller type campaign in my teens, had a long break from tabletop RPGs, ran an extensive Megatraveller campaign that lasted for a few years. I guess I'm a little jaded with the whole 3I, so that leaves me with the option of creating a homebrew (I don't have time). Or 1248, I love a lot of the icons of Traveller but guess I just want an age thats a little less civilised.

I'll message MJD through a board and see what he says, thanks for the advice FreeTrav.
Last edited by Charakan on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
EDG
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2882
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:28 pm
Contact:

Postby EDG » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:05 am

1248 is indeed awesome. I'm glad Martin did it, and I'm glad it wrapped up the loose ends.

Hopefully it will be available again soon, because to have all that great material just disappear into oblivion would be a huge crime.
Any post I make here may not be quoted or copied beyond the Mongoose boards without my explicit permission.
Spica forums
SFRPG Forums
MJD
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: Washington, UK

Postby MJD » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:21 am

I've answered this privately.
I'm in ur OTU, upsettin' ur Grognards
Talesian
Shrew
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:01 am

Postby Talesian » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:34 pm

I am very interested in 1248, but I am not able to find it for purchase. Can anyone please let me know if I am still able to buy it, and where if still available? Thanks!
EDG
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2882
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:28 pm
Contact:

Postby EDG » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Not right now (shakes fist at licensing issues).

But the hope is that they will be released again in future on the 2nd TNE CD that FFE will release. No release date for that yet though.
Any post I make here may not be quoted or copied beyond the Mongoose boards without my explicit permission.
Spica forums
SFRPG Forums
G. K. Zhukov
Mongoose
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:22 pm
Location: 40º 35' 46" N - 3º 42' 27" W
Contact:

Postby G. K. Zhukov » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:27 pm

EDG wrote: But the hope is that they will be released again in future on the 2nd TNE CD that FFE will release. No release date for that yet though.
Probably quite a bit earlier than T5. :wink:
Charakan
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:35 am
Location: Nottingham UK

Postby Charakan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:30 pm

As EDG says they aren't available at the moment, which is a shame because the back story that ties together all the loose threads of Rebellion/Second Civil War and The New Era is really inspired.

I guess I was lucky I bought them in pdf when they were still available.

Its a shame that the 1248 era can't be expanded as I'd like to see the OTU move forward. The milieu has so much potential.
Talesian
Shrew
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:01 am

Postby Talesian » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:32 pm

Does FFE hold the license then? Are there talks about letting it get released again? Who can I email to show my support? Do I ask to many questions? :D
Rockmonkey
Cub
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:38 am

Postby Rockmonkey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:49 pm

I see the TNE line available at RPGNow.com. I haven't tried to buy any of the products, but they are available on the website. If you're looking for the PDFs, I hope this helps.
Charakan
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:35 am
Location: Nottingham UK

Postby Charakan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 am

Rockmonkey wrote:I see the TNE line available at RPGNow.com. I haven't tried to buy any of the products, but they are available on the website. If you're looking for the PDFs, I hope this helps.
The TNE PDFs at DTRPG and RPGNow deal with the Star Viking/Reformation Coaliton and Regency settings, 1248 is a later period released by Comstar/Avenger and isn't available in print or e-book at the moment.
EDG
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2882
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:28 pm
Contact:

Postby EDG » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:15 am

Charakan wrote:1248 is a later period released by Comstar/Avenger and isn't available in print or e-book at the moment.
It seems ridiculous to me that people can still buy out of print material from the CT era (e.g. Judges Guild) long after those third party licenses have expired, but they can't buy out of print 1248 material largely because it was released electronically as PDFs.

Would Mongoose allow Comstar/Avenger to release 1248 material via Flaming Cobra?
Any post I make here may not be quoted or copied beyond the Mongoose boards without my explicit permission.
Spica forums
SFRPG Forums
Charakan
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:35 am
Location: Nottingham UK

Postby Charakan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:40 am

EDG wrote:Would Mongoose allow Comstar/Avenger to release 1248 material via Flaming Cobra?
Apparently there are reasons why this can't happen at the moment which I think is a shame.
EDG
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2882
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:28 pm
Contact:

Postby EDG » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:57 am

Charakan wrote:
EDG wrote:Would Mongoose allow Comstar/Avenger to release 1248 material via Flaming Cobra?
Apparently there are reasons why this can't happen at the moment which I think is a shame.
I thought it was because Mongoose didn't want to support another OTU era yet... but if it's done through FC then they wouldn't have to support it because Avenger would be writing all the material.

It seems like a win/win to publish it again - it gets the material out there again, and both Avenger and Mongoose make money from the FC side of it with minimal effort. Where's the problem?
Any post I make here may not be quoted or copied beyond the Mongoose boards without my explicit permission.
Spica forums
SFRPG Forums
Charakan
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:35 am
Location: Nottingham UK

Postby Charakan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:14 am

EDG wrote:
Charakan wrote:
EDG wrote:Would Mongoose allow Comstar/Avenger to release 1248 material via Flaming Cobra?
Apparently there are reasons why this can't happen at the moment which I think is a shame.
I thought it was because Mongoose didn't want to support another OTU era yet... but if it's done through FC then they wouldn't have to support it because Avenger would be writing all the material.

It seems like a win/win to publish it again - it gets the material out there again, and both Avenger and Mongoose make money from the FC side of it with minimal effort. Where's the problem?
Well It makes complete sense to me as well but I'm not involved in the publishing and licensing game so who knows.

The thing that appeals to me is that in 1105 everythings boxed up with virtually no room for manouver except for maybe Foreven and the regions beyond Hiver space and other polities (sp?).

1248 is a lot more open and pretty much anything could be done with it within reason.
EDG
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2882
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:28 pm
Contact:

Postby EDG » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:01 am

I really wish that the default era for the OTU was 1248. It'd be a vastly more interesting and exciting setting then, IMO at least.
Any post I make here may not be quoted or copied beyond the Mongoose boards without my explicit permission.
Spica forums
SFRPG Forums

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests