Mongoose Library Data

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Mongoose Si
Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Si » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:19 pm

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:
This could really be a cool application if I can add my own Library Data for my game and EDIT the published data if I want to change something.

Will it have both of those features? (please)
Yep. All the data is stored in text files so really simple to add/edit and include hyper links if required. Each library entry can also have an image displayed with it.

I've also made it so the application can be reskinned should anyone have the desire and artistic flair to do so (it does of course already come with a nice interface though).
Duroon
Mongoose

Postby Duroon » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:37 pm

Love how everyone just glossed over my suggestion of making it a java app and therefore crossplatform right out of the box, am I set to invisible again?
Mongoose Si
Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Si » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Duroon wrote:Love how everyone just glossed over my suggestion of making it a java app and therefore crossplatform right out of the box, am I set to invisible again?
I missed that. There are many reasons why:

1. Development time - would take many times longer to develop it in another language.
2. The app is stand-alone, so no other software of framework needs to be installed for it to work.
3. Most people use Windows - sorry but this is just a simple fact. However, as I mentioned before, we do have the option of compiling it for other platforms at a later date if there is enough demand for it.
4. On a personal note, I can't stand Java :p
EDG
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby EDG » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Mongoose Si wrote:4. On a personal note, I can't stand Java :p
What language are you going to use for it then, out of curiosity?
Any post I make here may not be quoted or copied beyond the Mongoose boards without my explicit permission.
Spica forums
SFRPG Forums
Klaus Kipling
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Klaus Kipling » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:00 pm

Yes, I'm curious as to what lang/format it is in.

As I am getting a new Mac soon, I will probably get Boot Camp too. However, I'd still like to see a Mac version one day so I can give my players my old laptops to use during the game.
In the end, we're all dead.
Mongoose Si
Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Si » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:38 pm

I'm using Blitz Max, which is primarily a games development language that I used to created a couple of games with before becoming a full-time writer.

Since this app is using a graphical gui, Max seemed the obvious choice to me, having developed my own gui system for it. Plus its a great language to use :)
dreamingbadger
Banded Mongoose

Postby dreamingbadger » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:40 pm

Mongoose Si wrote:I'm using Blitz Max, which is primarily a games development language that I used to created a couple of games with before becoming a full-time writer.

Since this app is using a graphical gui, Max seemed the obvious choice to me, having developed my own gui system for it. Plus its a great language to use :)
sorta Basic++ ?
"Look out behind you!"

"I wouldn't fall for that ol...dahhhhh!"
Mongoose Si
Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Si » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:00 pm

dreamingbadger wrote:
sorta Basic++ ?
After a fashion - it is an OO language that has elements of basic (mainly program flow) but beyond that it is its own language really.
dreamingbadger
Banded Mongoose

Postby dreamingbadger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:21 am

The iPhone thread got me wondering where Mongoose is on this ?
"Look out behind you!"

MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:36 am

Waiting for Mr Miller's comments on the program - it will likely need some tweaks after that, and then we'll be good to go!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
MJD
Banded Mongoose

Postby MJD » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:37 am

Interesting... and not surprising really... that a discussion of a Traveller-related project immediately became a debate over minutae of the supporting software.

I recall someone asking some questions on TML about a Traveller movie. It immediately turned into a debate about 'who would play Norris? Lucan?" etc.

By the time that one was winding down I'd obtained permission from Marc, created an outline and pitch, and got it agreed. We actually got the pitch in front of a development board.

What I mean here is... the issue isn't software, it's the giant problem of defining Traveller canon and getting Marc and his gang to agree to it. Most of the possible candidates to do this job have an agenda and have been pushing it for long enough that selecting them will alienate others.

It's a nightmare project, even by the standard of some of the things I took on in the past.
I'm in ur OTU, upsettin' ur Grognards
dreamingbadger
Banded Mongoose

Postby dreamingbadger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:28 pm

msprange wrote:Waiting for Mr Miller's comments on the program - it will likely need some tweaks after that, and then we'll be good to go!
Many thanks Matt, looking forward to seeing how it comes out
"Look out behind you!"

Somebody
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Somebody » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:37 pm

If one wants to be "stylish" the program needs to run on one of the tablet systems (Nokia N900 etc). Similar to the "lcars" skin that was/is availabel for some devices :)
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:57 pm

MJD wrote:Interesting... and not surprising really... that a discussion of a Traveller-related project immediately became a debate over minutae of the supporting software.

I recall someone asking some questions on TML about a Traveller movie. It immediately turned into a debate about 'who would play Norris? Lucan?" etc.

By the time that one was winding down I'd obtained permission from Marc, created an outline and pitch, and got it agreed. We actually got the pitch in front of a development board.

What I mean here is... the issue isn't software, it's the giant problem of defining Traveller canon and getting Marc and his gang to agree to it. Most of the possible candidates to do this job have an agenda and have been pushing it for long enough that selecting them will alienate others.

It's a nightmare project, even by the standard of some of the things I took on in the past.
Yes, it will be INTERESTING to see what becomes the "official" library data. As long as I can edit it, I don't really care for my game.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.