Tripwire - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
MrUkpyr
Mongoose

Tripwire - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Postby MrUkpyr » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:44 pm

I got Tripwire on Friday, and have to say that I love it. It is an exciting and interesting adventure, and has some interesting twists.

BUT - I do have a comment/gripe.

I ran my players thru the module Spinward Salvage LIC (from Comstar), which uses the Grant system.

In the module, the system is Red Zoned because of an insidious atmosphere which causes extreme violent delusional paranoia.

This is the same reason given in GURPs behind the claw, and also in earlier Traveller products.

In Tripwire, all that is tossed out and the reason the system is Red Zoned is because of an Ancient Artifact.

Now, I have to say that I love the Tripwire concept. It is unique and really really interesting.

But having already run the previous module, I can't quite figure out how to modify the system so that previous game continuity is not lost but the cool ancient artifact can be included. Moving it to another system doesn't quite work, and I'm not really interested in adding a new system in the subsector.

Now I do realize that Mongoose owns the rights to Traveller, but if others have recently done something in the Spinward Marches, it would be nice to see at least a short note saying that the new Mongoose material deviates from what is out there.

Or even better, incorporate what was done before into the Mongoose product.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Perhaps the delusions are caused by the ancient artifact? A mystery within a mystery...
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
The Chef
Banded Mongoose

Postby The Chef » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:11 pm

indeed, maybe the artifact gives off a toxic vapour that over the millenia has seeped into the atmostphere to create the clouds of paranoia

or maybe you just think it is!
are you absolutly sure sir it does mean changing the bulb!
Bygoneyrs
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Bygoneyrs » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:18 pm

Well just deal with it!!!

Just rewrite what or how it is to what fits your own game!!!

Penn
E.D.Quibell
Stoat

Postby E.D.Quibell » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:53 pm

It would be nice if the MGT authors knew a little about the OTU though, don't you think?

Regards,

Ewan
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Has anyone checked whether the reason for Grant's being Red Zoned was described in the original Supplement 3 LBB? I don't recall it ever having been described in any particular detail there.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Mongoose Si
Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Si » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:34 am

Hi

Grant was not listed in any of the original (i.e. canon) reference material that I had available, which is why it may differ from other sourcebooks you have read.

However, there is nothing stopping you from combining my desription with any other concepts you have used in your game. In your example, there is no reason why Grant cannot have the device and an insidious atmosphere present on the planet - one is not mutually exlusive to the other :)
djd
Mongoose

Postby djd » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:40 am

Or how about the atmosphere being the 'official' excuse given out to keep people away?
Bygoneyrs
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Bygoneyrs » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Guys any GM worth their ability can alter "what-ever" they like to fit in their own campaign. So if there is something you do not like, then be creative and change it to what-ever you want that fits for your own campaign. I have never understood why such a basic GMing concept is so hard to grasp by some people. Just because it is or was in writting one way, doesn't mean it has to be that way in your campaign. It is your campaign and you the GM are in charge, so do what fits YOUR campaign.

Penn
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:21 pm

djd wrote:Or how about the atmosphere being the 'official' excuse given out to keep people away?
This is what I would use.

The "Official" story and the "Truth".

I do that a lot with the published OTU material. The published material is the "Official Story", but if I want something to be different, then I do it and that becomes the "Truth" to be found by the PCs.
You can call me Sir.
Stainless
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Stainless » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:31 pm

A hidden reason for being a red zone is exactly what I did in my campaign with the planet Candory. The real reason was far more complicated....
MrUkpyr
Mongoose

Postby MrUkpyr » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:03 am

Bygoneyrs wrote:Guys any GM worth their ability can alter "what-ever" they like to fit in their own campaign. So if there is something you do not like, then be creative and change it to what-ever you want that fits for your own campaign. I have never understood why such a basic GMing concept is so hard to grasp by some people. Just because it is or was in writting one way, doesn't mean it has to be that way in your campaign. It is your campaign and you the GM are in charge, so do what fits YOUR campaign.

Penn
I think you might have missed the point. It is not that I cannot modify what is out there to suit my campaign. It is that something which was published for use with Mongoose Traveller was then completely contradicted *by* Mongoose Traveller in the module which Mongoose produced.

Now Mongoose Si has said that Grant wasn't mentioned in any of the books he had access to, which is a perfectly good answer.

Oh, and what I am doing is putting the Grant Device on the satelite of an inner moon, which would explain why the players didn't deal with the Navy when they visited there as part of their mission.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:52 pm

And thus the Mongoose Traveller Canon Wars begin.

Unforunately, this type of contradiction is EXACTLY what has happened in every other version of Traveller ever published.

Hell, in CT, they lost an ENTIRE PLANET in the Spinward Marches between one book and another.

It sounds like it was an honest mistake, but you are quite correct, there are 2 different official sources with different explanations of the Red Zone.
You can call me Sir.