Central Supply Catalogue -- Thoughts and reviews?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
apoc527
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Central Supply Catalogue -- Thoughts and reviews?

Postby apoc527 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi, anyone here check out CSC yet? They seemed to REALLY go balls to the wall in terms of correcting and updating MGT's weapons and armor section. The only disappointing thing is that it renders Mercenary's ironmongery section basically obsolete. Not that I'm complaining though, this book seems very well thought out and covers a lot of new ground.

I particularly like the SAP/AP/Super AP/etc mechanic.

Anyone find any serious errors?
-Apoc527
MJD
Banded Mongoose

Postby MJD » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Glad you like that mechanic. It was entirely my invention.

Unless it's broken, in whch case it's... his! (points randomly)
I'm in ur OTU, upsettin' ur Grognards
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:55 pm

MJD wrote:Glad you like that mechanic. It was entirely my invention.
It is a good mechanic Martin.

And to make it even better you got a paycheck for it....

It's win-win situation.
Evyn
Sevya
Mongoose

Postby Sevya » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:15 am

I expect this book to be the most used book in my group after the Core Rulebook. It is not without it's problems, but it is a very useful book.

I LOVE the armor penetration rules!

The errata for Mercenary seems to have been ignored, however. There are several items, most that I've noticed have been in armor, that match the pre-errata Mercenary stats.

Sevya
MJD
Banded Mongoose

Postby MJD » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:23 am

I used the files I was sent, which I seem to recall included mercenary errata. Could be wrong though. I usually am.

And getting paid is one of the benefits of working with Mongoose. Unlike certain other companies....
I'm in ur OTU, upsettin' ur Grognards
Sevya
Mongoose

Postby Sevya » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:24 am

I can give examples, if you'd like.

Sevya
Claybor
Stoat

Postby Claybor » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Hopefully a quick CSC question isn't out of place in this thread.

Does CSC contain all the items/equiptment from the mainbook? Having most/all items in one place would be very useful.
Old timer
Banded Mongoose

CSC.

Postby Old timer » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Thought it was a very good supplement. Liked the new ammo rules and auguments ( my traveller players are all a bit 'transhuman' so like adding new things to their characters bodys). The rules for stacking armour are also very good and cleared up a few issues up in my traveller group. The adverts in the book also gave the product a 'in game feel', and it was nice to see chemical cartridge laser back in traveller. Overall i think it is a good product and a good addition to my traveller collection. Also in replie to Claybors post it seems to have most if not all of the equipment from the main rule book in it.
cmdrx
Stoat

Postby cmdrx » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:55 am

This has got to be the most awesome publication for MGT to date.

Gear, guns and ammo. Love it all. Am I seeing a prelude of a possible FF&S for Mogoose in the not-too-distant future? Once Civilian and Military vehicles is out, I'm sure I can reverse engineer the mechanics of it! ;-)

It does need a bit of errata, forex: In the text there is mention of the 5.5mm Heavy Guass Rifle and the 8mm Gauss Sniper Rifle. In the statistics table I see an entry for Heavy Gauss (Sniper) Rifle. Do both weapons mentioned in the text have the same stats? Or is something missing?

And to all the old Greybeards out there...
Plasma A,B,C and Fusion X,Y,Z are BACK! YES!
Stainless
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Stainless » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:45 am

It's frustrating having to wait until a fixed edition is printed for ALL the Traveller books. Any idea when a corrected edition of the CSC will be printed?
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rex » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:51 pm

Still a great book, and will need minimal Errata....however, be very careful giving it to the power gamers in your group. There is stuff in there, that can wreck a GM's day.

~Rex
Every Problem in the World, can be solved easily with the Violent application of a baseball bat.
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby IanBruntlett » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Rex wrote:Still a great book, and will need minimal Errata....however, be very careful giving it to the power gamers in your group. There is stuff in there, that can wreck a GM's day.

~Rex
What like? I used it today. It would be nice to know what to avoid. OTOH, so far I've been able to say things like "that isn't available at the current TL"
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:37 pm

Arc Field Weapons would RUIN a standard OTU Traveller game. Arc Field Weapons are basically Light Sabres.

Fine for certain games, not right for the OTU.

The book is not setting specific, so there is a lot in there that would not work in the OTU.

You have been warned.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:23 pm

I liked the book. Though it was unbelievable how much of it was devoted to weapons and guns, guns, guns.

Not every problem in Traveller can, or should be, solved by a process of simple destruction. Which is why Doctor Who's monsters were so compelling, because most of them, from Daleks and Cybermen to Sontarans and all the other, even more exotic creatures like the Axons, the Autons and Nestene Consciousness, the Slitheen of Raxacoricofallapatorius and the "Toclafane" could never be stopped by bullets: and others, like the Cats of New Earth and the Ood, were not the sort of creatures you'd call "combatant species" anyway.

I'm ever mindful of Asimov's maxim "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent," and strive to apply some examples of this maxim in all of my campaigns, making sure that the characters use those dice to roll more than just Initiative, Melee and Gun Combat.

Now the technology rules at the start are very useful indeed, I ought to add. Tie them in with the rules for advanced Agent technology in Book 5, the equipment in Book 4: Psion and the items of sheer ingenuity from Book 6: Scoundrel, and you can see where the tech level rules from CSC can really come in to their own.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rex » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:18 pm

IanBruntlett wrote:
Rex wrote:Still a great book, and will need minimal Errata....however, be very careful giving it to the power gamers in your group. There is stuff in there, that can wreck a GM's day.

~Rex
What like? I used it today. It would be nice to know what to avoid. OTOH, so far I've been able to say things like "that isn't available at the current TL"
Combine Arc Field weaponry, with oh, some of the Robot stuff, and some Remote Operations, and you have, the ultimate Traveller Horror Movie.

You've got to look at the over all campaign you are running then make sure you don't unleash something that can be brutal (hmm, like the Grav mace in the hands of someone with Melee Bludgeon 5)....

I use the tech level excuse a lot as well. Also one of the reasons in my Third Imperium Games, I stick everyone around the Sword Worlds.

~Rex
Every Problem in the World, can be solved easily with the Violent application of a baseball bat.
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:21 pm

MJD wrote:Unless it's broken, in whch case it's... his! (points randomly)
*Immediately activates one of his female clones and hides behind her*

*Runs away after she whispers something in his ear*
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
MrUkpyr
Mongoose

Postby MrUkpyr » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:55 pm

alex_greene wrote:I liked the book. Though it was unbelievable how much of it was devoted to weapons and guns, guns, guns.

Not every problem in Traveller can, or should be, solved by a process of simple destruction. -- SNIP --

Now the technology rules at the start are very useful indeed, I ought to add. Tie them in with the rules for advanced Agent technology in Book 5, the equipment in Book 4: Psion and the items of sheer ingenuity from Book 6: Scoundrel, and you can see where the tech level rules from CSC can really come in to their own.
126 pages of Weapons and Ammo and Armor, which equals 2/3 of the book.

I understand that people want *more guns*, but there are also players who want "more equipment".

I was very disappointed in just how much space was devoted to combat items, and am strongly debating if I will purchase the book for myself or just use the copy that one of my players has.

The first 27 pages that cover Tech levels and equipment was great, but is not enough when combined with the non-combat items to justify the book's purchase.
Klaus Kipling
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Klaus Kipling » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:08 pm

I don't know. While I'll agree there are more weapons than I'll ever want to shake a stick at, there aren't that many extra bits of tech I can think of for the the equipment section.
In the end, we're all dead.
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby IanBruntlett » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:17 pm

I'm OK with this book. It is used in every game session I run so that's a good sign. However, Signs & Portents did a couple of extras that I printed and keep with the book 1) clothing and 2) Non lethal weaponry. That helped round it out.
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
Rex
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rex » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:00 pm

IanBruntlett wrote:I'm OK with this book. It is used in every game session I run so that's a good sign. However, Signs & Portents did a couple of extras that I printed and keep with the book 1) clothing and 2) Non lethal weaponry. That helped round it out.
Which is why, Signs and Portents, is so freaking cool.

~Rex