Reign of Discordia update

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
mdavidj
Stoat

Reign of Discordia update

Postby mdavidj » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give you an update.

Reign of Discordia is in editing! I hope to get the manuscript soon and begin layout. In the meantime, here's the cover art for you to check out.

President, Gun Metal Games
Duroon
Mongoose

Postby Duroon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:59 pm

What's that got to do with Traveller?
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:29 pm

Duroon wrote:What's that got to do with Traveller?
It was a True20 product, this is a conversion of the setting to Traveller.
Brutorz Bill
Stoat

Sweet!!

Postby Brutorz Bill » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:50 pm

I've been looking forward to this one!!!
Do you have any idea of a possible release date? Will it be available in print?? Will the adventures already out for it be converted to Traveller stats???
:D
mdavidj
Stoat

Re: Sweet!!

Postby mdavidj » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Brutorz Bill wrote:I've been looking forward to this one!!!
Do you have any idea of a possible release date? Will it be available in print?? Will the adventures already out for it be converted to Traveller stats???
:D
I'm waiting on the editing top get finished, and then it goes into Layout. I'm anitcipating the end of august.,.. tentatively.

As far as Print publication, I'm hoping by December through Flaming Cobra, but it could very well be sometime in the 1st quarter of 2010.

We'll definitely be converting the adventures and supplements to Traveller rules.

in fact the first adventure will be in this book.
Brutorz Bill
Stoat

Postby Brutorz Bill » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:03 pm

Excellent,
I really liked the Reign of Discordia setting and while True20 is cool, using the setting with the Traveller rules has great potential for us.
Like the cover art also!
Thanks for the update!
Last edited by Brutorz Bill on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duroon
Mongoose

Postby Duroon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:49 pm

AndrewW wrote:
It was a True20 product, this is a conversion of the setting to Traveller.
Ahhhh....cool, looks interesting.
Mark A. Siefert
Mongoose

Postby Mark A. Siefert » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:07 am

I picked up the True 20 version of this not too long ago from drivethru, but I only had a chance to glance through it. I was hoping to read through it and see if there was anything that could be used for Traveller. It looks like you guys will be taking care of that for me. :D
Later,
Mark A. Siefert

"Well Mike, I guess it's just a magical land. I HATE MAGICAL LANDS!"
--Crow T. Robot
"Jack Frost," Mystery Science Theater 3000
Bygoneyrs
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Bygoneyrs » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:36 am

Actually I know nothing about this product or setting at all. Is there some links to other releases of this gaming stuff so I can get a point of reference? Also is this a official Mongoose Pub 3 party product or what?

Penn
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:03 am

Bygoneyrs wrote:Actually I know nothing about this product or setting at all. Is there some links to other releases of this gaming stuff so I can get a point of reference? Also is this a official Mongoose Pub 3 party product or what?

Penn
The True20 version:

http://paizo.com/store/downloads/realit ... 48btpy83u1
mdavidj
Stoat

Postby mdavidj » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:32 am

Bygoneyrs wrote:Actually I know nothing about this product or setting at all. Is there some links to other releases of this gaming stuff so I can get a point of reference? Also is this a official Mongoose Pub 3 party product or what?

Penn
Hiya,

This is a 3rd party product using the Traveller game system that will be publisher through Mongoose Publishing's Flaming cobra Imprint. It's written by Darrin Drader ( The book of Exalted deeds, D20 apocalypse, etc), and is a space opera setting set in the aftermath of the downfall of the Stellar Imperium ( not to be confused with the Traveller Stellar Imperium).

This fully-illustrated book introduces new races, over 50 planets for you to explore, new ships (and deck plans!), and just a ton of Space opera goodness.

The traveller version has also been expanded, and now includes a needed game masters section and a full length adventure.
mdavidj
Stoat

Postby mdavidj » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:37 am

If you have some time to spare, you might also check out the Atomic Array Podcast Interview that we did for this:

http://atomicarray.com/reign-of-discordia-aa002
Brutorz Bill
Stoat

Postby Brutorz Bill » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:40 am

Just wanted to bump this back up. Please keep us updated on its status.
I've been looking forward to a Traveller version of this setting for quite awhile.
Colin
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Colin » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:26 am

Editing is almost done. It's a big document.
Morden
Mongoose

Postby Morden » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:09 am

Just thought I'd chime in here since RoD is kind of my baby (and David's, of course).

I didn't want the Traveller conversion to just be a straight transition, and certain design decisions were made.... The first thing I addressed was the fact that the original book was actually written very quickly. There were a few rough spots in the text that I wanted smoothed out, so the first thing I did with the Traveller conversion was do some smoothing and clarifying.

Satisfied with that, I then went to the reviews that had been done of the book. So far every review has been good, and I'll publicly pat myself on the back for that now, but as with all reviews, there were points where they felt that the book could have been better. I take reviews seriously, so I expanded the text to include some important points. Planet descriptions have been expanded so that there is some information on the most planetary governments. This includes names of leaders and political concerns.

The other major thing that the reviewers said it needed was a chapter to help GMs (or referees in Traveller) design scenarios. So I added a "How to run Reign of Discordia) section that addresses things like the feel of the setting, and what sorts of plot elements you might design around. This wasn't in the original book because I thought it was rather obvious that it was supposed to be an "everything and the kitchen sink" type of setting, catering to the space operas two to three decades ago. That said, I was more than happy to offer up some advice and hopefully people will find it handy.

We do have tentative plans to update the True20 version with the new material and put the new and improved cover art on it.

Finally, getting around to design decisions, I felt that it was important to emphasize on the setting itself without getting wrapped up in a lot of the fine details. In other words, don't reinvent what already exists in Traveller! For example, while I replaced the personal weaponry, I left the armor from core Traveller intact, so all the new armor is intended to add to the existing stuff. Much of the equipment from the original book, which had originally been converted from D20 Modern, was converted over to Traveller, but I always looked for something in the rules that already covered what I was doing first.

Finally, since I know that ships are near and dear to the hearts of Traveller players, I wanted the Reign of Discordia ships converted in such a way that you can use them in a regular Traveller game. Likewise, you can also take ships from any Traveller book and use them in Reign of Discordia. There are a few differences, such as the fact that there are no fuel scoops in RoD, so you have to actually purchase your fuel. Also, RoD has tractor beams where Traveller does not. Minor differences aside, I wanted them to go easily between games. To accomplish this, I enlisted the help of some of the people right here on the boards and I'm pleased with how things are turning out.

So to give you an update, the manuscript is still in editing, though I expect that it will be done soon. The other thing we're waiting on is the final ships to be added to the game. Again, this is being worked on and they'll likely be done soon. From there, it's in Dave's hands and it's up to him to decide whether to release the PDF ahead of the printed book.
Darrin Drader
Freelance Game Designer

Major Projects:
Reign of Discordia, Mysteries of the Moonsea, D20 Apocalypse, Forgotten Realms: Serpent Kingdoms, Book of Exalted Deeds.
Happy Ordnance
Brutorz Bill
Stoat

Postby Brutorz Bill » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Darrin,
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you've added a bit to the planet descriptions amongst other things.
Looking forward to picking this up!
Bygoneyrs
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Bygoneyrs » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:39 am

Now this product sounds like it might just be well worth buying, when will it be released for sale here at Mongoose?

Penn
Morden
Mongoose

Postby Morden » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:27 am

Bygoneyrs wrote:Now this product sounds like it might just be well worth buying, when will it be released for sale here at Mongoose?

Penn
Just as soon as we can possibly get it to you. As Dave said though, we might be looking at Q1 2010. Not sure yet as there remains much to do.
Darrin Drader
Freelance Game Designer

Major Projects:
Reign of Discordia, Mysteries of the Moonsea, D20 Apocalypse, Forgotten Realms: Serpent Kingdoms, Book of Exalted Deeds.
Happy Ordnance
Bygoneyrs
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Bygoneyrs » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:19 am

Well as long as it is in a 'paper' format I will purchase it. How much in US dollars might the product be and how big will the book be?

Penn
Brutorz Bill
Stoat

Postby Brutorz Bill » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:32 pm

Just bumping this one back up. Really interested in using this Campaign setting.