Reign of Discordia update

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
captainjack23
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby captainjack23 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:30 pm

AndrewW wrote:
Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:Ships are given Jump Drive ratings, but you don't spend any time explaining how that translates to your Tachyon Drive really works IN GAME.

It seems like you are using the Teleport Drive option from the TMB, but that book specifically states that multiple jumps are dangerous. Your text indicates otherwise. Also, you mention the ability to make long-range jumps. A small section explaining how this all fits together (in-game and meta-game) would be very helpful as I am very confused about how long it would take a Fast Freighter for example, to get from Earth to Teron.
The ships where given standard Traveller stats, though can't comment on just how this translates to the Tachyon Drive.
It does mention somthing like "XX ly/week" at one point for one of the variants of their drive; but yes, I've been wondering if I just missed it. My mind has stored that that the basic drive was 1pc/week but that's probably based on the standard drive rules not from the setting.

Possibly its an omission, but not a killer one.
Captainjack23, KOD
Marquis d'Remulak, Sol 1833
My blog of obsessive rules writing & Design
http://docgrognard.blogspot.com/
Morden
Mongoose

Postby Morden » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:30 am

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:Got it! FYI - It shows up as a separate download.

One question (well several related questions) that the starmap brings up that I don't feel are explained very well in the book.

Ships are given Jump Drive ratings, but you don't spend any time explaining how that translates to your Tachyon Drive really works IN GAME.

It seems like you are using the Teleport Drive option from the TMB, but that book specifically states that multiple jumps are dangerous. Your text indicates otherwise. Also, you mention the ability to make long-range jumps. A small section explaining how this all fits together (in-game and meta-game) would be very helpful as I am very confused about how long it would take a Fast Freighter for example, to get from Earth to Teron.

Other than this one little thing, I really like the setting.

I intend to read it more thoroughly this weekend and post a review early next week.
This is one of those complicated issues that was kind of left intentionally vague for a reason.

In the original version of Reign of Discordia, ships moved (at faster than light speeds) "at the speed of plot." In other words, there was never any hard and fast rules for how long a space voyage would last and I wanted it that way because realistically, nothing usually happens at faster than light speeds unless it's part of the plot. It's all meta.

As I ran the setting more, I decided that it was a good idea to set an upper speed limit on ships. I did realize that without a universal FTL speed limit, galaxy hopping became a distinct possibility, and that isn't something that I wanted in RoD, so I ended up setting the maximum speed at forty light years per hour. Essentially, I wanted it so that you could jump from one side of known space to the other in about a day, while still leaving the majority of the galaxy undiscovered.

Now, my philosophy in converting the setting over to Traveller was to leave the Traveller rules and open content material alone as much as possible, making only the changes needed so that the new version of the setting didn't disagree with the original one. I think the strategy worked quite well, and the end result of this is that there is now some new equipment that you can use in your Traveller games and the Traveller material is simply assumed to already be an integral part of the universe except where noted.

So getting to the specific questions posed:

The standard long range jump using the tachyon drive is analogous to the teleport drive, with the obvious limitation that the ship is actually not moving any fast than 40 light years per hour.

"Micro jumping" is a slower form of FTL that still uses the tachyon drive as well as teleportation like jumps, but it is going slow enough through space that you can get readings out ahead of you as you go. This essentially works like warp drive, which is where you would use the ship's warp rating.

The danger that the text mentions of doing multiple jumps refers to long-range jumps as opposed to micro jumps. Micro jumping is usually used for the exploration of space and searching for salvage.

Hope that sheds some light on things.
Darrin Drader
Freelance Game Designer

Major Projects:
Reign of Discordia, Mysteries of the Moonsea, D20 Apocalypse, Forgotten Realms: Serpent Kingdoms, Book of Exalted Deeds.
Happy Ordnance
Travellingdave
Mongoose

Postby Travellingdave » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:36 pm

Morden wrote:This is one of those complicated issues that was kind of left intentionally vague for a reason.
(snip)
The standard long range jump using the tachyon drive is analogous to the teleport drive, with the obvious limitation that the ship is actually not moving any fast(er) than 40 light years per hour.

"Micro jumping" is a slower form of FTL that still uses the tachyon drive as well as teleportation like jumps, but it is going slow enough through space that you can get readings out ahead of you as you go. This essentially works like warp drive, which is where you would use the ship's warp rating.

The danger that the text mentions of doing multiple jumps refers to long-range jumps as opposed to micro jumps. Micro jumping is usually used for the exploration of space and searching for salvage.

Hope that sheds some light on things.
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a response. I’ve bought the PDF and have quite enjoyed reading it. Still, while your answer was helpful, I feel it did not entirely answer the question. To quote the Traveller rule book:
Teleport Drive: The ship instantaneously jumps from one point to another. This works just like the standard Jump drive without the weeklong wait in hyperspace. Instead, no time whatsoever elapses during the transition from one place to another. A teleport consumes no extra fuel but jumping is a strain on the ship’s systems and multiple successive jumps can damage the drive.
But it seems as if your Jump Drive may act more as a standard Jump Drive, but with a variable jump duration and fixed speed ((approx. 6.7 ly x jump number)/hour) with proportionate fuel use for the time traveled. So a Jump-6 ship (the fastest made) can theoretically make a single long jump up to 6720 light years (1 week in jump @ 40 ly/hour). In reality, jumps lasting over 1 day (960 ly for a Jump-6) may have HUGE cumulative penalties that always result in misjumps (-2/hour of jump duration over 20?). It also means most of the FTL ships in the book carry enough fuel for up to seven 1-day jumps.

You may require a space of say one day between long jumps to allow the drive to recharge (or whatever limit you want to set).

The regular FTL drive mode can act as a Warp Drive per the Corebook, but it seems like the speed ratio might be more like Jump Number in Parsecs per Day rather than per Week in the Discordia universe. This mode would mainly be used to scout into unknown space or into areas where Jump coordinates have been lost in the Fall. I assume that FTL drives in the current era can operate in both modes, so fuel usage may be a bit tricky to track as the ship shifts between Jump and FTL mode in between refuelings.

How does that sound? Or am I way off? Just spit-balling here.