What Properties Would You Like To See Mongoose Acquire?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings

What OTHER Properties Would You Like To See Mongoose Acquire And Travellerize?

Honor Harrington (David Weber et alia)
19%
Republic of Cinnabar Navy (David Drake)
4%
Vatta's War (Elizabeth Moon)
4%
Terro-Human Future History (H. Beam Piper)
7%
Babylon 5 (Renew the license, keep it alive!)
20%
Legacy of the Aldenata/Posleen (John Ringo et alia)
1%
Several of these, or Other Not Listed (PLEASE COMMENT BELOW)
45%

Total votes: 134
BP
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BP » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:08 pm

What Properties Would You Like To See Mongoose Acquire?

Microsoft :D

Seriously, I prefer to make up my own setting and to be armed with material to do so - i.e. more original supplements to Traveller.

While I love firefly and am an avid reader of many favored settings, I see no real value in extending Mongooses resources to re-invent these settings in an RPG environment.

If pushed and Firefly was not an option, I'd go with Red Dwarf <grin>
Silvereye
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Silvereye » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:32 pm

Dune would be top of my list.

Some gratuitous steampunk could be fun too.
Andy W
Collector of dead wargames
kafka
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby kafka » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:38 pm

What are properties that Mongoose could realistically acquire? I would like to see something based on literature rather comic or TV or movie. That said, there are all sorts of horrible movies that have been made from great literature (Nightfall, anyone?).

So I would like to maybe see things done in Arthur C. Clarke's universe, Cherrah's, Asimov's, Allen Steele's, etc. I am big propogant of bringing back a Harder edge for Traveller but at the same time willing to accept some soft handwaves.
As long as there are stars in the sky and dreams about the universe, as long as there are chronicles of high adventure to recount, there will always be Traveller.
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:50 pm

The Lobo series by Mark L. Van Name.

*Jame, who actually liked Alien3 and Alien Resurrection.*
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
Sevya
Mongoose

Postby Sevya » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:42 pm

Several of those mentioned would be great. I'll list them to add my voice, since this is a vote:

Renew Babylon 5
Larry Niven's universe (Ringworld series, Man-Kzin Wars)
Firefly (with or without Serenity, I'm easy on this count)
Stainless Steel Rat
Renew Starship Troopers (I know, not blanking likely, but I can hope...)
Arthur C Clark's work

Those above I would buy as a matter of principle. the following I think would work well in Traveller, but I'd only buy if someone locally was running it:

Alien/Aliens
Dune

Something I'd really like to see is a low-tech science fiction setting, such as Heinlein's Space Cadet. Sublight only in our solarsystem. Maybe even work with NASA or ESA to keep up to date on current projects or research.

Sevya
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby IanBruntlett » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:02 pm

Martian Trilogy - Kim Stanley Robinson
Dr Who and/or Torchwood - BBC
Renew Babylon 5
Arthur C Clark's work
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
Morden
Mongoose

Postby Morden » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:34 pm

From what has been mentioned so far, Firefly, Mass Effect, and Farscape interest me the most.

Renewing Babylon 5 if a complicated issue, I'm sure. I'd love to see it, but I question whether I would spend money for much more in the line. The D20 guidebooks that we have are great. The system works and they contain so much background information that I could toss the mechanics entirely and keep using at least 75% of each book. The Univers of Babylon 5 and Warships of Babylon 5 give me more than what I need to run the game under the Traveller rules, so I feel like I have what I need.

It is unfortunate that it doesn't look like there's a future for the franchise, and I'll always cherish the books and the DVDs, but B5 is fading fast and there's really not much ground that hasn't been covered. If Mongoose were to renew the license and publish under Traveller, what ground remains unexplored? Even as committed as I am to it, how would they be able to continue selling me books?

For that reason, I think they're making the right decision.

One thing to keep in mind, however, is that now that Babylon 5 has become one of the pillars of space opera, there's a whole new generation of books, games, and TV shows that count it as an influence. I think Mass Effect owes a lot to Babylon 5. My scifi setting, Reign of Discordia, which is being converted to Traveller soon, is another one. It's not B5 or a B5 replacement, but denying the influence would be like denying my parents.
Darrin Drader
Freelance Game Designer

Major Projects:
Reign of Discordia, Mysteries of the Moonsea, D20 Apocalypse, Forgotten Realms: Serpent Kingdoms, Book of Exalted Deeds.
Happy Ordnance
Techno-Guru
Mongoose

Postby Techno-Guru » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:53 am

Vatta's War although I do like David Drake's Hammers Slammers so perhaps this other series has something to it.
When the world ends and the machines of old are all that keeps you alive, I am the one who is a true wiseman.
Jacqual
Mongoose

Postby Jacqual » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:24 am

A cool Steampunk setting would rock as would any type of Pulp setting, as well as some of the Anime settings would be cool. I think the Mongoose Traveller ruleset would make a great universal ruleset, capable of handling multiple settings and genres.
Jacqual Synn
Merchant Traveller
I was voted Captain of my team in Highschool, shame I was the only member.
Galadrion
Banded Mongoose

Postby Galadrion » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:47 am

Most of Baen Publishing's science fiction series would be high on my list, with particular emphasis on David Weber (particularly the Mutineer's Moon trilogy), the Honorverse, the Familias Regnant and Ship series. I've no objection to most of Baen's sci-fi lines, to be honest.

The problem I'm having answering this one is that most of the sci-fi that I like which isn't from Baen's group of usual suspects isn't really all that suited to RPG adaption - e.g: Heinlein and Robinson's Variable Star... or, indeed, nearly all of Heinlein's work. (Face it, the Starship Troopers game was based more on that cinematic abomination than Admiral Bob's work - and the celluloid abortion was based more properly off of Joe Haldeman's Forever War than its titular namesake. And even then, it didn't make a particularly good role-playing game.) As for TV sources... aside from the news coverage immediately after 9-11, I haven't watched TV since about '92. Really unimpressed with most of it.
aspqrz
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby aspqrz » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:44 am

Honor Harrington and Drake's Republic of Cinnabar would be great (and since they already have a relationship with him over Hammer's Slammers, probably very doable).

I have a soft spot for H Beam Piper, but since Ace ditched him and he's gone public domain, at best, I doubt many of the younger generation have read his works ... you have to be a surly old curmudgeon like me 8)

And, in any case, he hasn't got a large enough nor a detailed enough body of works to make it a workable idea (I know, I tried many years ago for Space Opera, and it really wasn't worth my while with all the extra, non-canon, detail you'd have to add). YMMV of course :wink:

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Audace ad Gloriam (SF Equipment); Road to Armageddon;
Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@pacific.net.au
TravellerArt
Mongoose

Postby TravellerArt » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:27 am

I'd like to see:
Neal Asher's Polity series (He does the nastiest alien planetary environments.)
Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy.
Cherryh's Company Wars.
Rogue Trooper.
Allen Steele's Coyote.
Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War.

The Gerry Anderson properties (especially UFO)

Mass Effect would be very cool,
The Wing Commander universe
(and what a shame White Wolf have EVE).
Vile
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Vile » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:43 am

Beech wrote:Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy.
Cherryh's Company Wars.
Oops, forgot those. And my preference for Firefly over Serenity is not ideological, I just prefer the feel of the series to that of the film.
FreeTrav
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby FreeTrav » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:44 pm

A couple of people have mentioned Cherryh's Company Wars; that makes me think of another possibility: the Chanur cycle.

In about a week, I think I'll go through the "Other" comments, and see how they fall out, and post the tabulated results.
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:17 pm

Starship Troopers.

Mongoose cancelled the d20 version of this RPG with the stated intent of bringing it across to Traveller. But then it disappeared like an MI down a bughole.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:47 pm

ELizabeth Moon's Familias Regnant Universe (aka the Serrano books)
ARMAGEDDON : 2089
Space Above and Beyond (aka Space 2063)

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Sevya
Mongoose

Postby Sevya » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:24 pm

FreeTrav wrote:A couple of people have mentioned Cherryh's Company Wars; that makes me think of another possibility: the Chanur cycle.

In about a week, I think I'll go through the "Other" comments, and see how they fall out, and post the tabulated results.
I feel like a total ditz on this one! I've been looking at putting the Chanur series into Traveller since New Era! My GM has mentioned it, too. If at all possible, please do this one!

Sevya
iainjcoleman
Mongoose

Postby iainjcoleman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:20 am

Blake's 7, but only if I get to write it.
kristof65
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby kristof65 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:13 am

Man, there are so many books/book series that I'd buy, I can't even begin to name them.

From TV/Movies, I'd love to see Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and now Stargate Universe, however, I suspect that would be an expensive license to acquire.

But two other TV shows spring to mind - Eureka and Sanctuary. Both seem really fitting for PC centric adventuring.
stouty
Shrew

Postby stouty » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:34 am

kristof65 wrote:From TV/Movies, I'd love to see Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and now Stargate Universe, however, I suspect that would be an expensive license to acquire.
I've been working on a home brewed write-up for Stargate SG-1. It's far from complete but I could email you a pdf copy if you like. Or figure out somewhere free to host it. So far I have character creation for human and Jaffa with careers, updated skill list, weapons and equipment for both and some basic stuff for the Goa'uld. I'm using a lot of general info from the AEG books and of course the Traveller main rulebook.

Let me know
Mark