help needed for a small craft

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
The Chef
Banded Mongoose

help needed for a small craft

Postby The Chef » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Help!

I'm currently designing a small space to surface shuttle designed to be fast, get the troops down quick and get out of dodge before anyone else knows whats happened. I'm thinking something like a modern blackhawk.

So i'm thinking a vessle 20ton range, to carry about 10 troops in no confort what so ever. do i just design it with a cargo hold and just bolt down a couple of benches. or do i have to build it with a stateroom and then have to make it bigger, not as quick and end up just using the boarding craft.

is there a way of getting around this problem?

Thanks

Chef
are you absolutly sure sir it does mean changing the bulb!
ShadowDragon8685
Weasel

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:22 pm

Well, you could just use Cargo Space for a strictly ship-to-surface craft. Could also use Barracks space, too. In general, I'd look at Emergency Low Berths as the measure of "the very cramptest space people can stand in."
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Based on Striker/MT, "sardine can" seats are 7 per ton, some comfort (or some gear) is about 4-5 people per ton, and "room to stretch" is 2 people per ton.

And case the viewers are wondering why I keep trotting out old edition stuff, its because I'm a toolkit user, and all prior editions are in the toolkit, especially when it comes to craft design.
The Chef
Banded Mongoose

Postby The Chef » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:16 pm

toolkit users are great by me, many many thanks!

Chef
Lane Shutt
Banded Mongoose

Postby Lane Shutt » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:34 am

For an assault shuttle 4 troops per ton sounds about right for volume and mass. Combat loaded troops (even without power armor) will be in the 300-350 lb range, .75m x .75m is probably about right for the area they take up in seats and the remaining space pet Ton(d) would be access.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:41 am

This is covered in High Guard under cabin space. 1.5 tons per passenger.
atpollard
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby atpollard » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:33 am

... But 4 people still fit in a 1 ton emergeny low berth, don't they?
So a person CAN fit in less than 1/4 dTon.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:46 am

atpollard wrote:... But 4 people still fit in a 1 ton emergeny low berth, don't they?
Yup it's possible.
Golan2072
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Golan2072 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:02 pm

AndrewW wrote:
atpollard wrote:... But 4 people still fit in a 1 ton emergeny low berth, don't they?
Yup it's possible.
Yes, but if they are awake (unlike cryosleep), they'll probably need a larger volume of life-support equipment. I prefer 1/2 dTon per person (as in CT) for comfortable acceleration couches for awake passengers, allowing enough space for full combat gear as well (if necessary).
We are but a tiny candle flickering against the darkness of our times.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
CosmicGamer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CosmicGamer » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:43 pm

I have a version of deploying elite troops similar to paratroopers. Instead of parachutes, typically the troops have armor with grav assist. The troops are 'stored' in a cargo bay like area with seating that folds down. Variable number of troops, depending on what gear they are transporting. One variation has deployment done via airlocks on each side (four person capacity per airlock) but typically the back of the transport is a large bay door which can be used for faster troop deployment/evac or for loading unloading 'pallets' of gear.

Forces less equipped (rebels, terrorists) would use cheap grav floaters and jump over the side of an open top air raft.
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:06 pm

AndrewW wrote:This is covered in High Guard under cabin space. 1.5 tons per passenger.
That's billet space. If a platoon of drop troopers is going to be aboard for 20 minutes total and all their actual quarters are aboard the big ship that dropped their shuttle, then the 1.5 (or more) tons per person applies to the big ship.

To put that in perspective, 1.5 tons "on the floor" is a 5 foot by 15 foot area. That's reasonable for a drop pod battery in a starship, but for the Traveller equivalent of a troop helicopter its a bit much.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:15 pm

For a shuttle, you don't need to give ANYONE a cabin. Give them acceleration couches.

Cabins are for trips of longer than 1 day.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
The Chef
Banded Mongoose

Postby The Chef » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:25 pm

That Rikki is precisely what i've done, given the details gypsycomet supplied.

I looked at the cabin options and thought the space was too big, nor did i want to go for a RAPTOR (from BSG) approach where people sat on the floor.
i have put in two racks of couches back to back for the troops to sit in while the ship goes through entry and landing. then quick deployment and back out. also useful for casualty evacuation.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:49 pm

GypsyComet wrote:
AndrewW wrote:This is covered in High Guard under cabin space. 1.5 tons per passenger.
That's billet space. If a platoon of drop troopers is going to be aboard for 20 minutes total and all their actual quarters are aboard the big ship that dropped their shuttle, then the 1.5 (or more) tons per person applies to the big ship.

To put that in perspective, 1.5 tons "on the floor" is a 5 foot by 15 foot area. That's reasonable for a drop pod battery in a starship, but for the Traveller equivalent of a troop helicopter its a bit much.
I agree it's a bit much for some purposes and could be cut down. Just mentioning it was in there.