Babylon 5 and the Draft

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
chrisdw
Stoat
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:38 pm

Babylon 5 and the Draft

Postby chrisdw » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:47 am

We were trying out the Universe of Babylon 5 last night and hit an issue, my eldest daughter decided to create a Worker Caste Mimbari with a career of Citizen worker - so far so good, but she failed the enlistment roll - now what? Does the Draft exist in Babylon 5? Can you get drafted into a career you would not normally be allowed to enter? ...

What we did was submit to the draft, the character ended up in the Fleet and took a specialisation of Crew. So she now has a Worker Caste Mimbari with a lot of warrior type skills, such as Gun Combat.

Chris D-W
User avatar
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1325
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 3:23 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Postby dmccoy1693 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:33 am

My own interpretation of Minbari society would be 3 different drafts: crew specialization for warrior castes, some kind of menial task oriented specialization for worker castes and some other kind of menial labor for the religious caste.

Sorry, I don't have my book infront of me at the moment and I'm blanking as to what's inside them.
Download our newest book: Solomani Worlds: Vehicles of the Rim today.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
User avatar
Valarian
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Contact:

Postby Valarian » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:18 pm

:) She's become Warrior caste
The caste in Minbari society isn't fixed, someone born in to one caste can decide that the caste they were born in to is not that of their true heart. After a brief (by Minbari standards) ceremony, the person enters their new caste.

e.g.
Alyt Neroon changes from Warrior caste to Religious caste in the Season 4 episode: Moments of Transition
Branmer (Legacies, Season 1) was a member of the Religious caste who became Warrior caste
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games
chrisdw
Stoat
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:38 pm

Postby chrisdw » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:36 pm

Valarian wrote::) She's become Warrior caste
The caste in Minbari society isn't fixed, someone born in to one caste can decide that the caste they were born in to is not that of their true heart. After a brief (by Minbari standards) ceremony, the person enters their new caste.
Thanks for the quick turnaround. :D

Chris
User avatar
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose
Posts: 8849
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:58 am
Location: Kettering UK
Contact:

Postby Greg Smith » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:22 pm

There are religious caste Minbari who crew ships. The White Stars are initially crewed by religious caste members, IIRC. Roles aren't totally fixed to castes, it would seem.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
Lorcan Nagle
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2404
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:46 am
Location: Ireland

Postby Lorcan Nagle » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:51 pm

Wasn't there mention somewhere of warships crewed by worker caste members as well?
Image
User avatar
Valarian
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Contact:

Postby Valarian » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:36 pm

Greg Smith wrote:There are religious caste Minbari who crew ships. The White Stars are initially crewed by religious caste members, IIRC. Roles aren't totally fixed to castes, it would seem.
I thought it was that the White Stars were crewed by Rangers, and supported by Religious caste, because the Warrior caste wouldn't support the Rangers when Sinclair took over and allowed humans in to the ranks. In essence, not their true role but they filled the gap when needed. As I understand the society, Worker and Religious caste could be pilots as well. Worker caste would fly all the merchant vessels for instance, and Religious caste pilot their own flyers when travelling around.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games
captainsmirk
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1034
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Limbo

Postby captainsmirk » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:00 pm

Valarian wrote:I thought it was that the White Stars were crewed by Rangers, and supported by Religious caste, because the Warrior caste wouldn't support the Rangers when Sinclair took over and allowed humans in to the ranks. In essence, not their true role but they filled the gap when needed. As I understand the society, Worker and Religious caste could be pilots as well. Worker caste would fly all the merchant vessels for instance, and Religious caste pilot their own flyers when travelling around.
That was the intention but when the White Star fleet first came into service there weren't enough Rangers to crew them all, so the Rangers just commanded them whilst the Religious Caste supplied the crews. If you watch the bits in the series on board the White Star you'll see that all the crew wear long flowing white and brownish robes (like the Religious Caste Minbari seen in other episodes), where as the Rangers wear black.

Nick

*Edited for abysmal spelling...
Captain Sheridan you're under arrest for a clear violation of the laws of physics!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AnotherDilbert and 21 guests