Insane social standing

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
dorward
Mongoose

Insane social standing

Postby dorward » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:07 am

I'm going to be arriving late for the character generation session for the Traveller game that a friend of mine is GMing. This is the joy of having a new job (it is too soon to suggest that I start and finish a bit earlier then the official hours).

So, I decide to throw a high stat into Social Standing, thinking it might make things interesting.

After some terms of character generation, where I'd had a few shots at Personal Development in the hope that I could nudge my Str or Dex over into the +1 zone, and landed some interesting events ... I'd somehow managed to end up with a Soc of 15.

This campaign might turn out to be rather different from what we were all expecting...

On Wednesday, I get to find out who the other characters are and perform the linking of the backgrounds in exchange for bonus skills. It's going to be interesting finding out what motley crew is going to end up running around the galaxy with this chap.
Home & RPG & Geek
Beware of the Leopard
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:18 am

That is going to be an interesting game indeed. My recommendation would be, unless your colleagues already know what your character's Social is, to keep things between you and the Referee at first. Just have your character present yourself as an Everyman. Lie about his background. Your character was, during his career, a Citizen, perhaps, or an Entertainer.

And once in a while, at the discretion of the Referee (i.e. at least once a session) throw in something that really throws the characters for a loop. They have to face off to some bureaucratic old beetle, whose attitude melts like summer ice the moment your character just walks through the door. In fact, he just positively fawns over the crew.

Or if your character's colleagues get shot up, just one glance at your ID and they're whisked away to the Tech 15 med facilities on the Imperial Capital Ship that ordered them to pull over for inspection.

At the very last resort, your Referee could do the Big Reveal and set up the game such that your character's true Social Standing is revealed ... but be prepared, because that'll change the whole dynamic of your game from then on in.

But it should be fun. Good luck.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
dorward
Mongoose

Postby dorward » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:43 am

That does lend itself to a couple of possible plot lines. The old "Noble who is slumming it" approach along with the "Noble who represents whomever is employing the party but isn't letting on just how close he is to them" routine.

It certainly could be interesting. :)
Home & RPG & Geek
Beware of the Leopard
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:56 pm

Remember, a high social standing does not automatically mean nobility - you could be Britney Spears, or Beckham :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
dorward
Mongoose

Postby dorward » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:59 pm

msprange wrote:Remember, a high social standing does not automatically mean nobility - you could be Britney Spears, or Beckham :)
:shock:

No, I don't think I could.
Home & RPG & Geek
Beware of the Leopard
Maedhros
Stoat

Postby Maedhros » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:11 pm

dorward wrote:That does lend itself to a couple of possible plot lines. The old "Noble who is slumming it" approach along with the "Noble who represents whomever is employing the party but isn't letting on just how close he is to them" routine.

It certainly could be interesting. :)
...not to mention the "Noble caught up in high-level Imperial intrigue".

Or maybe he gets sent to oversee the spice mining on some desert planet with religious-fanatic natives.
dayriff
Mongoose

Postby dayriff » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:15 pm

There was a big thread about a similiar situation just last week.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB ... hp?t=38291