Autofire rules...what the?!

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Stainless
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Autofire rules...what the?!

Postby Stainless » Sun May 04, 2008 3:04 pm

I have a big problem with the autofire rules (and I'm hoping it's a typo).

Page 62 "Automatic weapons" section, last sentence of last bullet point;

"Auto-fire uses a number of rounds equal to 3 x the Auto rating."

So, take an auto rifle which has an Auto rating of 4. That means, in order to carry out auto fire, it will take you 3 x 4 rounds (=12 rounds. At 6 seconds per round, that's 72 seconds or 1 minute and 12 seconds)

WHAT?!!!!

A modern assault rifle (e.g., Zastava M70 AB1/AB2 Assault Rifle) has a rate of fire something in the order of 600 rounds per minute. Thus, if I am auto firing for 12 rounds, I should be able to get off 720 rounds. Well, I suspect my magazine will be empty after about 30 - 40 rounds. Also, if someone is shooting at me on automatic for 6 seconds, I personally would consider that "auto fire"!

Please tell me this is a mistake. So far it's the only thing that has sullied an otherwise nice rule set.
Shane_Mclean
Stoat

Postby Shane_Mclean » Sun May 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Um, when they say rounds, I think they mean "rounds of ammunition", as in bullets. Not rounds of game time.

Shane
crazy_cat
Mongoose

Re: Autofire rules...what the?!

Postby crazy_cat » Sun May 04, 2008 3:12 pm

Stainless wrote:Page 62 "Automatic weapons" section, last sentence of last bullet point;

"Auto-fire uses a number of rounds equal to 3 x the Auto rating."

So, take an auto rifle which has an Auto rating of 4. That means, in order to carry out auto fire, it will take you 3 x 4 rounds (=12 rounds. At 6 seconds per round, that's 72 seconds or 1 minute and 12 seconds)

WHAT?!!!!
Doesn't this simply mean that using autofire for one round (of time) with the auto rifle (auto 4) uses up 12 rounds (3 x 4) of ammunition or bulllets or cartridges or whatever ?
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die"
Stainless
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Stainless » Sun May 04, 2008 3:28 pm

Doh! I can't beleive I was so stupid. Thank you for restoring my growing faith in the rules. :oops: