Hiver and K'Kree sectors

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
qstor
Banded Mongoose

Hiver and K'Kree sectors

Postby qstor » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:52 pm

I'd love to see at least some of the Hiver and K'kree sectors worked out. As someone mentioned on the CotI boards there's not even sector dot maps for most of the sectors.

I think this would be a fantastic way for Mongoose to "give" something new back to Traveller. Something that hasn't been "done to death" in the Traveller editions of the past.

Mike
"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to go around pissed off all the time" Edward Furlong - American History X
Emperor Herdan
Banded Mongoose

Postby Emperor Herdan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Good point!

I'm not sure if that area of space was set aside for GM development or not (Like the Foreven sector beside the Spinward March).

But those are two major races that impact both the Solomani and Imperial planets.

Might be interesting indeed.

Take care

E. Herdan
Old Man of the C (for Cyclotrons....Smashing Atoms for fun and profit...ohh and medical and industrial use...)
Zowy
Banded Mongoose

Postby Zowy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:01 pm

I allways liked the idea of useing a Hiver / 3I buffer area setting, but never got around to fleshing one out.

K'kree on the other hand just do not click for me.
Gruffty the Hiver
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Hiver and K'Kree sectors

Postby Gruffty the Hiver » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:53 pm

qstor wrote:there's not even sector dot maps for most of the sectors
....that's cos we don't want you to have maps of our space ;)

Or do we?......

:twisted:
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:22 pm

Heah Hiver, go mop something! :wink:
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
Emperor Herdan
Banded Mongoose

Postby Emperor Herdan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:59 pm

One of the non-canon sites I've found for Hivers et al is this

http://home.earthlink.net/~ngc5139/FDA/index.html

But, having found that, it would be nice to have a canon source for information.

Take care

E. Herdan
Old Man of the C (for Cyclotrons....Smashing Atoms for fun and profit...ohh and medical and industrial use...)
Gruffty the Hiver
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Gruffty the Hiver » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Emperor Herdan wrote:One of the non-canon sites I've found for Hivers et al is this

http://home.earthlink.net/~ngc5139/FDA/index.html
Yeah, that's Leroy Guatney's site - he is (was?) a big Hiver fan and he was a member of the History of the Imperium Working Group (which is where most of his stuff was developed up from).

RTT: it's "Gruffty! Hiver-Hyper Mop! GO!" ;)
qstor
Banded Mongoose

Postby qstor » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:07 am

yeah Leroys dropped off the face of the earth. IIRC even exHIWG members dont talk with him.

I agree 100% that it would be great for canon material on the Hiver sectors or K'Kree but someone would have to write it. :) From what I gather Mongoose wants to focus on the Spinward Marches.

Mike
"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to go around pissed off all the time" Edward Furlong - American History X
The Greek
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Greek » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:57 pm

Zowy wrote:I allways liked the idea of useing a Hiver / 3I buffer area setting, but never got around to fleshing one out.

K'kree on the other hand just do not click for me.
Whilst I love K'kree. Militant vegetarian space facists (at best) just can make such delicious bad guys...
(especially with a good BBQ sauce...)
wibble.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:40 pm

I prefer mine roasted over an open camp fire with a good stiff breeze to carry the smell to the rest of the herd...
You can call me Sir.
Gruffty the Hiver
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Gruffty the Hiver » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:50 pm

Mongoose Acolyte wrote:Militant vegetarian space facists (at best) just can make such delicious bad guys...
(especially with a good BBQ sauce...)
The Ithklur Marines that I know...er...cough have under my command certainly appreciate the extra flavour that a jar of "Smokey K'rrki!!xin!'k" brings to a post-combat feast ;)
RTT wrote: prefer mine roasted over an open camp fire with a good stiff breeze to carry the smell to the rest of the herd...
Indeed. It worked a treat during the K'kree/Hiver War ;) More sauce, anyone? :twisted:
qstor
Banded Mongoose

Postby qstor » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:48 am

Matt/powers that be :)

Will there be a slate of alien books like CT/GT etc for Mongoose Traveller?

thanks

Mike
towerwarlock
Mongoose

K'Kree

Postby towerwarlock » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:38 am

Ah yes, the Xenophobic Militant Vegetarians, aka the Californians from Hell. Best way to cook them is with a flamethrower. That way, when you are done they are immediately ready to eat and already cooked.
They said I was crazy. . . .
They said I was mad. . . . .
I showed them. . . .
Now who is crazy?
Now who is mad?
Never call the guy with the fusion bomb a madman or crazy.
atpollard
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: K'Kree

Postby atpollard » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:11 pm

towerwarlock wrote:Ah yes, the Xenophobic Militant Vegetarians, aka the Californians from Hell. Best way to cook them is with a flamethrower. That way, when you are done they are immediately ready to eat and already cooked.
I thought that a good barbecue required cooking them slowly. :)
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:00 pm

Back on topic (a bit)..

If Mongoose doesn't want to do it, could an OGL document do it? I know the OTU is supposed to NOT be part of the OGL, but if it is unknown space, could there be an exception?

Off Topic again:

I find that K'Kree don't really need barbeque sauce, roasted in their own natural juices is usually more than enough to bring out their natural flavor. Cooking them in their armor is an effective way to retain the juices in the meat, no matter how fast you cook them.
You can call me Sir.
towerwarlock
Mongoose

K'Khree

Postby towerwarlock » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:08 pm

Another use other than food:
1) Lab Rats, nobody likes these guys anyway. Their attitude is worse the Racial Superiority attitudes of the OTU Solomani.

2) Aliens everyone loves to hate.

Any other suggestions?
They said I was crazy. . . .
They said I was mad. . . . .
I showed them. . . .
Now who is crazy?
Now who is mad?
Never call the guy with the fusion bomb a madman or crazy.
Gruffty the Hiver
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Gruffty the Hiver » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:35 am

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:If Mongoose doesn't want to do it, could an OGL document do it? I know the OTU is supposed to NOT be part of the OGL, but if it is unknown space, could there be an exception?
I'm 99.999999% sure that won't be allowed to happen. The map of Charted Space is part of the OTU, and thus is not subject to the OGL, even if the sector in question has never been generated or mapped at subsector level.
Golan2072
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Golan2072 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:34 pm

Gruffty the Hiver wrote:
Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:If Mongoose doesn't want to do it, could an OGL document do it? I know the OTU is supposed to NOT be part of the OGL, but if it is unknown space, could there be an exception?
I'm 99.999999% sure that won't be allowed to happen. The map of Charted Space is part of the OTU, and thus is not subject to the OGL, even if the sector in question has never been generated or mapped at subsector level.
So, if I understand correctly, you can't create fan-material for the OTU anymore, only for ATUs? :(
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:35 pm

From what has been posted by Mongoose before, you CAN produce stuff for free (internet stuff), BUT, it will NOT be Canon (with a capital C).

So, someone could set up a website and post a dot map (heck even a full Sector book) on the web of K'Kree or Hiver space.

BUT, it would not be OFFICIAL and it would not be Canon. And of course, they could not charge for it.

CANON will require Mongoose's blessing/approval.

That being said, it might be (slightly) profitable for someone to create those sectors and then submit them to Mongoose for publishing.

Maybe this could be a Signs & Portents Article? Dot map of unmapped regions of Chartered Space. It would be a start at least...
You can call me Sir.
Gruffty the Hiver
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Gruffty the Hiver » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:16 pm

Golan2072 wrote:So, if I understand correctly, you can't create fan-material for the OTU anymore, only for ATUs? :(
...RTT answered that more succinctly than I ever could :D