Size modifiers in combat

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Spartan159
Mongoose

Size modifiers in combat

Postby Spartan159 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:30 am

Where are they? Looking for personal combat, but I'm curious about space combat too. (Just how hard is it to hit a fighter or drop ship?)
Garran
Mongoose

Re: Size modifiers in combat

Postby Garran » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:46 am

Some creatures are given the traits "Small -X" or "Large +X" (Page 85 of the revised book, not sure about the first printing), which affects DMs for ranged attacks.

You get a bonus to hit a vehicle based on its size (Page 140) when attacking as infantry or from another vehicle.

Spacecraft vs vehicles (or infantry) also have hit modifiers - but the damage scale is also different (Page 167).

Also, vehicle weapons have a much longer range than infantry weapons, and spacecraft weapons operate on another scale altogether; if the spacecraft uses that range advantage then your chance to hit it from a vehicle will generally be zero.

The relative size of spacecraft generally doesn't matter because of the distances/scale involved. Some specific capital-grade starship weapons (covered in High Guard) do take penalties to hit small targets, but that doesn't affect the rest of a ship's arsenal.
Condottiere
Mongoose Superior

Postby Condottiere » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:52 am

High Guard deals with size penalties against spacecraft, for various weapon systems.

Though, now I'm curious for sub ten tonnes.
Spartan159
Mongoose

Postby Spartan159 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:06 pm

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed! :D