Travellers Needed - The Future of Traveller

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
CrusaderWarden
Cub

Re: Travellers Needed - The Future of Traveller

Postby CrusaderWarden » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:09 pm

Well, with Robots on the way, my immediate "must have" is covered.

I'd love to see a campaign or supplement that focuses on law enforcement, bounty hunters, and criminal gangs and organizations. Whether its Cops & Robbers in space, smugglers, bounty hunting, etc., I'd love to see a Traveller treatment. Preferably focusing on both sides of the law rather than just one over the other.

I don't know if Pioneer will address this, but supplements dealing with founding colonies & outposts would be extremely interesting, as well.

2300 Core Worlds or similar high-population/high society worlds of the Third Imperium for cyberpunk or neo-noir style games would be interesting.

I think this was done in 1e, but being able to create/run organizations appears to be one of the few "setting/world integration subsystems" currently missing from the game.

I'm sure I'll come up with more, but those are my first pass.
CrusaderWarden
Cub

Postby CrusaderWarden » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:53 am

A Traveller GM adventure design book. Science fiction RPGs are more challenging to GM than fantasy RPGs by virtue of how broad they can be, the presence of technology, the options available to the players, etc. I'm envisioning a Referee-focused book with adventure design advice/essays by Traveller adventure writers. Adventure generator tables, ideally geared toward the various campaign styles laid out in the core rulebook, and many examples of how to incorporate Traveller's various subsystems (trading, spacecraft operations, combat, space combat, chases, etc) into adventures successfully. Genre-lenses, optional setting tweaks/rules, and other guidance.

Ideally, it would showcase examples for each of Traveller's settings: Third Imperium, 2300, Pioneer, etc.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Having been petitioning for a Robots book for about the last five years, I absolutely concur it is a major priority on the wish list - but it is on the release schedule, so it is a matter of patience now.

I would also definitely like to concur with the notion of having an App like Cyberpunk Red Companion for Traveller.

We have had the RPGSuite program for some time and while I use it all the time, the big thing they have been missing is to just have a simple, inexpensive app that players can buy to generate and store characters, and also a dice-rolling mechanism. D&D Beyond is another app we use - and they manage to make sales of all their books through the same device and link it to community media also.

Why can’t we have the same thing for Traveller?
Outtasight!
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby IanBruntlett » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:17 pm

CrusaderWarden wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:53 am
A Traveller GM adventure design book. Science fiction RPGs are more challenging to GM than fantasy RPGs by virtue of how broad they can be, the presence of technology, the options available to the players, etc. I'm envisioning a Referee-focused book with adventure design advice/essays by Traveller adventure writers. Adventure generator tables, ideally geared toward the various campaign styles laid out in the core rulebook, and many examples of how to incorporate Traveller's various subsystems (trading, spacecraft operations, combat, space combat, chases, etc) into adventures successfully. Genre-lenses, optional setting tweaks/rules, and other guidance.

Ideally, it would showcase examples for each of Traveller's settings: Third Imperium, 2300, Pioneer, etc.
Having read some system-independent books about aspects of adventure design, I think these books work best with multiple authors - as done https://enginepublishing.com/.

OTOH, Mongoose has already published a lot of Traveller specific info that help with adventure design with their 1st edition. Off the top of my head:-
  • Campaign Guide
  • 760 Patrons (2e)
  • 1001 Characters
  • Adventure Seeds
And, to some extend, the Traveller Companion, a Traveller 2nd edition book.
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
blaster219
Shrew

Postby blaster219 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:26 pm

Portable Web Apps that can run on any platform for ship/vehicle building and character creation.

Take the one for Star Trek Adventures for example. Runs in the browser on my phone, my tablet and my Chromebook. Generates PDF sheets for starships, PCs and NPCs. Although, creating editable PDFs would be an improvement.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:35 am

ENWorld just announced that they are not renewing their Judge Dredd and 2000AD license.

Maybe it could be the right time to bring it back - possibly as a standalone game based on the core mechanics of Traveller, but with tailored differences?
Outtasight!
Darren66
Cub

Postby Darren66 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:33 am

I would like to see more Sector or Domain sourcebooks. The Domain of Gateway has always been a favourite of mine, and one I’d be happy to write or contribute to.
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:04 am

TrippyHippy wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:32 am
May I enquire a bit more about the proposed Prime Directive for Traveller book?
Is it potentially slated for some time soon? How is it going to be supported? What sort of thing should we be looking forward to?
well, as the author of the TPD books I can speak to some things.

Listed as I think of them:
1) The TPD core book is currently being Playtested as the material is written.
2) All four books currently out for GURPS/d20M are planned for TPD (Core, Federation, Klingons, Romulans).
3) All the background, Histories, species, etc in each of these books for the Star Fleet Universe (SFU) will be in the TPD editions
4) We (ADB) are shooting for releasing the PDF of the core book in Feb 2022 with print approx 2 months later (if things go according to plan)
5) Right now the core book will have over 30 playable species from across at least 10 empires. The SFU is broken down by “Empire/Species/Race” ex: “Federation/Human/African”.
6) Besides the small adjustments to the core MGT2 careers so the fit the SFU, the core book will have careers for at least Starfleet, Starfleet Marines, Federation Mercant Marines, the Galactic Intelligence Agency (GIA), and the Federation Marshals Service.

I’m probably forgetting a few things but those are the high points.
Al B. [B-)USAF (Retired)
International GameMaster
Professional Game Demonstrator since 1998

Ranger Sgt Major Al Beddow, Deputy Commandant for Ranger Operations, Star Fleet Rangers
Author: Traveller Prime Directive
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:17 am

TrippyHippy wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:33 pm

I think I am starting to look forward to a Traveller: Prime Directive game, even though I’m not especially a Star Trek fan. Star Fleet Battles has been around almost as long as Traveller has and, while I never understood the legal basis of the IP (vs Paramount’s official Star Trek), I actually think there would still be a big fan base that would prefer having a simple 2D6 based system over the more ’narrative’ 2D20 system used in the official Star Trek game. I think it would be a great addition.
The Star Fleet Universe (SFU), as defined by the games Star Fleet Battles, Federation & Empire, Federation Commader, etc., was based on the Original ST series along with the Animated series. Basically anything not already used from those series at the time Paramount granted the license to ADB are off limits - as well as anything from any other series, movies, etc. From the starting point of the two original series the SFU created its own history, timeline, technologies, etc. (As well as adding new empires and races).

Overall, with the SFU’s area being 1,700+ times the size of Traveller’s default Charted Space, having over 15 Empires and 30 species, “this ain’t your grandma’s Star Trek!” :shock:

ADB’s license is perpetual lacking a requirement to be renewed every X number of years.

Each official Star Trek RPG is really an ‘alter at’ version of the canon ST universe (of which there are actually two thanks to the Kepler timeline).

I hope this answers your question.
Al B. [B-)USAF (Retired)
International GameMaster

Ranger Sgt Major Al Beddow, Deputy Commandant for Ranger Operations, Star Fleet Rangers
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:24 am

Being wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:29 pm
WOTC is going to be rereleasing Spelljammer soon, I dont see any market in a D&D 5E Traveller version…
There is something almost everybody forgets: What we universally call “Traveller” is a RPG system with a built in default setting - Charted Space or mor commonly The Third Imperium.

With that in mind, the GURPS version of Traveller is really GURPS Third Imperium and the same is true for T20 etc. A 5e version of “Traveller” would be D&D Third Imperium.
Al B. [B-)USAF (Retired)
International GameMaster