Traveller and Computer Games

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
ottarrus
Mongoose
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:48 am
Location: Tacoma, WA, USA

Traveller and Computer Games

Postby ottarrus » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:23 pm

So, like many of you, I'm a fan of computer RPGs. And like many of you RPG fans, I've been playing the games that have come out over these last 15 years and watching the general improvements in writing, acting, style, visuals, and technical achievements. I've seen some promising games die, I've seen some awful games get more time than they deserved. Pretty common experience, really.

But after playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition, I'm really hungry for a real, honest-to-Yaskodray Traveller computer game.
Yeah, I remember the old Microprose games and there was an Android phone game that was out for a little bit, but only now are we seeing the technology finally catching up with our imaginations to see the OTU we have in our mind's eye. I'm also aware of EVE:O, Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen... but I don't want a game is all swoopy starfighters and spread-sheets. I want a real Traveller game. Or maybe three Traveller games... a Free Trader game, a Mercenary game, and, well, a 'troubleshooter' game for lack of a better term. I want to see Beowulfs and Broadswords, Aslan and Vargr. I want to have to make a skill check to understand some obscure point of Vilani or Zhodani culture. And I want to generate a Traveller character and see them on the screen.

Oh, stop laughing! If somebody wanted to KS a game like that [and don't I know of anyone who is] and it wasn't that buckethead from the 'Spinward Traveller' fiasco, you'd kick loose some of your Christmas money to help fund it!

Anyway, I'm gonna go see what Johnny Silverhand is up to.
"Reputation is what others think they know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself." --Odin, Havamal
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose
Posts: 9970
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: Traveller and Computer Games

Postby Condottiere » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:14 pm

You need a critical mass of players, so that a games developer is willing to take a chance on it, and a hook to get them interested in.

There's no Space Marines, there's no huge number of figurines on a tabletop being pushed around.

Maybe as a naval tactical/operational/strategic game.
ottarrus
Mongoose
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:48 am
Location: Tacoma, WA, USA

Re: Traveller and Computer Games

Postby ottarrus » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:59 pm

Condottiere wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:14 pm
You need a critical mass of players, so that a games developer is willing to take a chance on it, and a hook to get them interested in.

There's no Space Marines, there's no huge number of figurines on a tabletop being pushed around.

Maybe as a naval tactical/operational/strategic game.
Absolutely true. I was just daydreaming, turning in my Christmas list to Santa a couple months early.
But, as they say, 'Wish in one hand and pee in the other. See which one gets wet...'
It is, however, germane to note that Chaosium's Runequest has an RPG in development right now. And it's the same company that produced the Jedi: Fallen Order game, so the quality looks like promising. I see the fanbases of the two games as roughly similar in size. I guess hope springs eternal...
"Reputation is what others think they know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself." --Odin, Havamal
TheMachine
Weasel
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:22 am

Re: Traveller and Computer Games

Postby TheMachine » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:58 pm

ottarrus wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:23 pm
So, like many of you, I'm a fan of computer RPGs. And like many of you RPG fans, I've been playing the games that have come out over these last 15 years and watching the general improvements in writing, acting, style, visuals, and technical achievements. I've seen some promising games die, I've seen some awful games get more time than they deserved. Pretty common experience, really.

But after playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition, I'm really hungry for a real, honest-to-Yaskodray Traveller computer game.
Yeah, I remember the old Microprose games and there was an Android phone game that was out for a little bit, but only now are we seeing the technology finally catching up with our imaginations to see the OTU we have in our mind's eye. I'm also aware of EVE:O, Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen... but I don't want a game is all swoopy starfighters and spread-sheets. I want a real Traveller game. Or maybe three Traveller games... a Free Trader game, a Mercenary game, and, well, a 'troubleshooter' game for lack of a better term. I want to see Beowulfs and Broadswords, Aslan and Vargr. I want to have to make a skill check to understand some obscure point of Vilani or Zhodani culture. And I want to generate a Traveller character and see them on the screen.

Oh, stop laughing! If somebody wanted to KS a game like that [and don't I know of anyone who is] and it wasn't that buckethead from the 'Spinward Traveller' fiasco, you'd kick loose some of your Christmas money to help fund it!

Anyway, I'm gonna go see what Johnny Silverhand is up to.
I'm pretty sure Mongoose are working with a games company (companies?) on two Traveller video games. If I recall correctly, one is a strategy (turn based, I think) game. The other is an RPG. I don't know how far through development they are, but I'm sure someone from Mongoose will let us know here before too long.
Lurking Grue
Shrew
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 11, 2020 1:55 pm

Re: Traveller and Computer Games

Postby Lurking Grue » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:33 am

ottarrus wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:59 pm
It is, however, germane to note that Chaosium's Runequest has an RPG in development right now. And it's the same company that produced the Jedi: Fallen Order game, so the quality looks like promising. I see the fanbases of the two games as roughly similar in size. I guess hope springs eternal...
If the company you're referring to above is Black Shamrock, AFAIK, they only did free-lance/contract work on Jedi: Fallen Order. The real, main developer of the game was Respawn Entertainment, which is a lot bigger company with hundreds of employees. Respawn is not working with Chaosium. Just FYI.
ottarrus
Mongoose
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:48 am
Location: Tacoma, WA, USA

Re: Traveller and Computer Games

Postby ottarrus » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:40 am

TheMachine wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:58 pm
ottarrus wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:23 pm
So, like many of you, I'm a fan of computer RPGs. And like many of you RPG fans, I've been playing the games that have come out over these last 15 years and watching the general improvements in writing, acting, style, visuals, and technical achievements. I've seen some promising games die, I've seen some awful games get more time than they deserved. Pretty common experience, really.

But after playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition, I'm really hungry for a real, honest-to-Yaskodray Traveller computer game.
Yeah, I remember the old Microprose games and there was an Android phone game that was out for a little bit, but only now are we seeing the technology finally catching up with our imaginations to see the OTU we have in our mind's eye. I'm also aware of EVE:O, Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen... but I don't want a game is all swoopy starfighters and spread-sheets. I want a real Traveller game. Or maybe three Traveller games... a Free Trader game, a Mercenary game, and, well, a 'troubleshooter' game for lack of a better term. I want to see Beowulfs and Broadswords, Aslan and Vargr. I want to have to make a skill check to understand some obscure point of Vilani or Zhodani culture. And I want to generate a Traveller character and see them on the screen.

Oh, stop laughing! If somebody wanted to KS a game like that [and don't I know of anyone who is] and it wasn't that buckethead from the 'Spinward Traveller' fiasco, you'd kick loose some of your Christmas money to help fund it!

Anyway, I'm gonna go see what Johnny Silverhand is up to.
I'm pretty sure Mongoose are working with a games company (companies?) on two Traveller video games. If I recall correctly, one is a strategy (turn based, I think) game. The other is an RPG. I don't know how far through development they are, but I'm sure someone from Mongoose will let us know here before too long.
I hope so. It would be nice to see more of the Traveller Universe than the late Andy Boulton's CGI vids.
"Reputation is what others think they know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself." --Odin, Havamal

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests