Traveller Release Schedule/New Books

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Traveller Release Schedule/New Books

Postby MongooseMatt » Wed May 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Due to the current world of virus and Brexit, release dates can shift, especially as we have a policy that we do not work to deadlines - we release books when we are happy with them, not when a piece of paper says we have to. Second, actual contents can change slightly from this list, but if you accept what is written here as a broad outline, you should not be disappointed. Also please note that release dates listed here are expected print releases - PDFs and pre-orders will normally take place 3-4 months earlier.

EU Travellers: Please note that due to Brexit issues, we are currently shipping all EU orders from our warehouse in the US, which takes care of VAT and charges at our end - it should be a smooth service for you.

Finally, though we will be updating this particular post rather than appending more, you are welcome to make comments and ask questions in this thread!

September
Solomani Adventure 1: Mysteries of Arcturus Station: Seth Skorkowsky has re-written and re-imagined a classic Traveller adventure. Play the sleuth onboard Arcturus Station and discover a dastardly murderer. This adventure comes with multiple motives and potential murderers, allowing you to play it again and again with different results each time!

November
Deneb Adventure 1: The Lost Duke: The planet of Brufort has always managed to remain under the radar of Charted Space at large. The mining companies support their workers as they bring up bountiful hauls of precious Zuchai crystals and, despite the presence of dangerous fauna, the people were happy. That happiness would not last. A missing ship brings the Travellers to this backwater. What seems like a simple recovery mission puts them at odds with an outside force that has taken over the planet. Will they be able to help the people of Brufort in a determined resistance or will they be cast out and left to the mercy of the red death that haunts the surrounding jungles?

Solomani Adventure 2: The Bell of Rocamadour: So what do you do when your world is a backwater? Overlooked for centuries, the people of Rocamadour have an idea. Appealing to the religious empire known as the Consolidation of Turin, they plan to upgrade their cathedral, a bizarrely architected structure like no other. The final addition is an immense church bell called Zebulun, a relic from ancient Terra. The Travellers are hired to transport the bell and a renowned uplifted Ape construction crew to Rocamadour to get the job done. Unfortunately, there are other interested parties. Ancient relics are worth untold millions of Credits and thieves will stop at nothing to steal them.

December
2300AD Box Set: A massive box set bringing a new universe to this edition of Traveller - the classic 2300AD. Join humanity's first steps in creating a star-spanning civilisation with a lower level of technology than you might be used to. Includes books to create your own 2300AD Travellers, explore worlds of the Frontier and browse through equipment, vehicles, and starships of the era.

Secrets of the Ancients: A remastering of last edition's book - fully updated to the new rules, completely re-edited, more than 50 pages added and, of course, packed full of glorious art.

January '22
The Third Imperium: The first of a new subline of 'empire' books for Charted Space. The Third Imperium is the greatest interstellar empire in the history of Charted Space. Its Emperors have reigned for a thousand years, building a utopian society based upon the pillars of duty, honour, free trade and a powerful navy that protects its worlds and enforces its laws. This book contains everything Travellers and Referees need to travel and adventure in the heart of the Third Imperium, including; A huge poster map of the Core sector; Detailed descriptions of the people, society, military forces and power brokers of the Third Imperium; The complete history of the Third Imperium as it has never been told before; The Core sector, the heart of the Imperium, including playable human and alien races and world descriptions for all 16 subsectors; New starships, vehicles, weapons, armour and gear for use in Core sector campaigns or anywhere else in the Third Imperium.

Core Adventure 1: Invasive Species: The Travellers are hired by the ducal heir of Alekvadin to fly a safari ship first to Akussanja, to obtain specimens of a rare and wild species, and then to Tinea-Fabre where the animal is to be deposited into a wildlife preserve. After it has settled in, the young duke-to-be enlists the Travellers to hunt the elusive creature in its adopted habitat but it proves to be a wily prey with heretofore unknown abilities. The hunters become the hunted and are seemingly forced to fight off the entire animal kingdom of the preserve. They will end up in a pitched battle for their very survival.

Core Adventure 2: Last Call at Eneri's Cantina: A complete cantina that your Travellers will come to call a home away from home - right before something nasty happens on the world that will galvanise them to save a local business!

February '22
Aerospace Engineer's Handbook: The 2300AD equivalent of High Guard - but packed with far, far more options... This is a monster of a book.

Core Adventure 3: Errant Lightning: A scientific team has come to the desert planet of Adan to find psions and strip them of their abilities using a controversial new technique. If they succeed, all of Adan might very well pay the price.

March '22
Aliens of Charted Space Volume 3: This series starts exploring the Minor Races with this volume, starting with the Darrians, Geonee, Bwaps, Dolphins and Orca (seriously, you want at least one Orca in every Traveller group...).

Ships of the Frontier: The companion to the Aerospace Engineer's Handbook, Ships of the Frontier will allow you to populate the spacelanes of 2300AD.

Foreven Sector Construction Guide Box Set: A new box set that provides a huge poster-sized sector map of the 'referee's private reserve' Foreven Sector, plus everything you need to populate it for yourself to create a brand new campaign area unique to you and your group! Also included is a blank sector map with enough information for you to create another new campaign area from scratch.

April '22
The Spinward Extents: A brand new sector book for those of you who wish to push past the Trojan Reach. Covering The Beyond and Vanguard Reaches sectors, you will find civilisations and empires here that have been barely touched by the Imperium and Consulate.

May '22
Traveller Explorer's Edition: A 64 page starter book for Traveller, containing everything needed to create Scout characters, board a Type-S and then begin exploring uncharted space...

The Robot Handbook: Doing for robots what the Vehicle Handbook did for vehicles - with the addition of Robot Travellers.

As noted before, everything is subject to change and rescheduling, but all the titles above have either already been written and are undergoing layout, or are in some stage of writing!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
nats
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Traveller Release Schedule/New Books

Postby nats » Wed May 12, 2021 2:16 pm

Wow! Have to say, now that I know what these books are, Invasive Species, Eneri's cantina, and Robot Handbook all look especially interesting. Thank you so much for taking the time to write these descriptions!
6A6AB9, Citizen(Corporate), 8th Term, Rank 3, Cr Enough
Trade(Architecture)3, Art(3d Illustration)2, Computers2, Admin2, Leader1, Drive(Wheeled)1, Advocate1, Art(Painting)1, Flyer0
Comm(TL7), Computer(TL8), Binoculars(TL6), Tent(TL7), Ground Car(TL7)
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Wed May 12, 2021 2:36 pm

nats wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:16 pm
Wow! Have to say, now that I know what these books are, Invasive Species, Eneri's cantina, and Robot Handbook all look especially interesting. Thank you so much for taking the time to write these descriptions!
Keep coming back, I am aiming to update this regularly :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
Tay
Mongoose

Postby Tay » Wed May 12, 2021 3:21 pm

Don't forget to add Mercenary.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Wed May 12, 2021 3:25 pm

Tay wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:21 pm
Don't forget to add Mercenary.
Won't be on general release until next year, possibly Q2!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
Dox
Weasel

Postby Dox » Wed May 12, 2021 4:09 pm

A very nice program. Any news about the French version of Traveller that we have been waiting for for many years now?
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Wed May 12, 2021 4:15 pm

Dox wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:09 pm
A very nice program. Any news about the French version of Traveller that we have been waiting for for many years now?
We have it translated. Unfortunately that translation is in a format that is extremely difficult to work with meaning it will take an incredibly long time to do - regretfully, we simply do not have that time at the moment. We are sympathetic - we have a French national on the full-time staff, but it is just not possible at the moment. :(
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
Dox
Weasel

Postby Dox » Wed May 12, 2021 4:22 pm

It's a shame. Anyway, thanks for the quick answer. This excellent game needs a French translation. :)
Libris
Stoat

Postby Libris » Wed May 12, 2021 4:24 pm

Is 2300 still on for a July PDF release or do we have to wait for the boxed set?
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Wed May 12, 2021 4:39 pm

Libris wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:24 pm
Is 2300 still on for a July PDF release or do we have to wait for the boxed set?
Sandrine has just told me that the ship section is slowing her down, but currently on course!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
qstor
Banded Mongoose

Postby qstor » Wed May 12, 2021 10:10 pm

are you guys doing to do a Starship book? I'd like to see other edition ships and MGT 1e ships for MGT 2e?
"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to go around pissed off all the time" Edward Furlong - American History X
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Wed May 12, 2021 10:21 pm

qstor wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:10 pm
are you guys doing to do a Starship book? I'd like to see other edition ships and MGT 1e ships for MGT 2e?
We certainly want to, likely to be next year though.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
G'Naakbusters
Cub

Postby G'Naakbusters » Fri May 14, 2021 5:56 pm

Forgive me for projecting ahead even further than this nicely extensive list, but... After the Third Imperium, which empires are intended, however vaguely, to get their own expansion books (assuming all goes well?)

The Zhodani Consulate, I imagine, seeing as you have a Fifth Frontier War line in the works; this would make sense as a sort of companion?

The Hive Federation, to get some more on Ithklur, Gurvin, Za'tchak, Federation Humans, and Hiver's Friends and Relations (to borrow from Milne)?

The Two Thousand Worlds, with Girug'kagh and other lackeys?

The Julian Protectorate? That would be fun. Big, but not *incredibly* extensive; Lots of distinct states and polities for very varied adventures/campaigns, but enough common ground to make them all familiar enough that nothing throws players off; any number of reasons for cooperation and conflict; humans and Vargr with the Hhkar for some alien colour; the Imperium as the foreign great power looked at warily; lots of potential, I imagine...
NOLATrav
Banded Mongoose

Postby NOLATrav » Fri May 14, 2021 8:30 pm

G'Naakbusters wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:56 pm
The Julian Protectorate? That would be fun. Big, but not *incredibly* extensive; Lots of distinct states and polities for very varied adventures/campaigns, but enough common ground to make them all familiar enough that nothing throws players off; any number of reasons for cooperation and conflict; humans and Vargr with the Hhkar for some alien colour; the Imperium as the foreign great power looked at warily; lots of potential, I imagine...
Oh man huge +1 for the Julian Protectorate. Absolutely love that area of space. If the Drinax series weren’t so good at opening up and fleshing out the Trojan Reach I’d have never left :lol:
paltrysum
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Fri May 14, 2021 11:20 pm

What would you put higher priority on? A Julian Protectorate area book or Aslan Hierate?
My published Traveller adventures on DriveThruRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... %20Griffen
NOLATrav
Banded Mongoose

Postby NOLATrav » Sat May 15, 2021 1:25 pm

paltrysum wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:20 pm
What would you put higher priority on?
Me personally, there’s the Aliens volume, Trojan Reach volume, Drinax and all its material, the High Guard supplement, the upcoming Glorious Empire, not to mention the 1e material... I’d say the Aslan have received quite a bit of love.

So yeah, the Julian Protectorate for sure.

In addition to what G’Naakbusters has laid out above, I find it interesting astrographically, wedged between the trailing Vargr Enclaves and the Imperium, on the edge of the huge gulf of Star’s End... And I’ve seen some interesting history with Imperial emperors having tough choices to make in the area, from the Protectorate to Gateway.

People often complain that Charted space is fully explored and there’s no borders but the handful little states in the Protectorate (and rim ward into Gateway) makes that border really porous and Star’s End could be a great place for exploration without the huge commitment of the Deepnight series.
zagygthemad
Weasel

Postby zagygthemad » Mon May 17, 2021 3:47 pm

Thanks for the update Mathew, even though it has already been updated! :wink:
QuinZ33
Shrew

Postby QuinZ33 » Tue May 18, 2021 8:13 pm

Really looking forward to Deepnight Revelation: Expeditions. My players aren't really abstracting any of their transits, so I need as much content as I can get my hands on to fill the space.
ajevans
Cub

Postby ajevans » Fri May 21, 2021 2:34 pm

Some great releases coming up, particularly looking forward to the Third Imperium book.

I usually wait to buy the books from retail - help my local shops and all that - do you know what's the likely lag from the print dates above and release to retail?
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Fri May 21, 2021 2:44 pm

ajevans wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 2:34 pm
I usually wait to buy the books from retail - help my local shops and all that - do you know what's the likely lag from the print dates above and release to retail?
Due to the virus, it is currently running at 3-4 months :(
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing