Musings on Mercenary

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Musings on Mercenary

Postby M J Dougherty » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:14 pm

I'm fast approaching 'that' stage of the project. Living as a wild man in the forest is looking more appealing every day.

So, now that Mercenary is offically A Thing In Being, I might let slip the odd comment.

Today's theme is 'what happens if I shoot your flamethrower?'

This is an example of the cyclical process involved in developing a product like this. I wanted to put a flame weapon in the equipment section. That meant design rules for them. That meant going back to the concepts section and inserting a section on damage to weapons. Energy and high-energy weapons are next.
steelbrok
Banded Mongoose

Re: Musings on Mercenary

Postby steelbrok » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:26 pm

I've always* thought that Plasma or Fusion weapons would be tweaked (whether by official upgrade or in the field tweaking) to produce a flame thrower like effect

*Actually not really always, I'm sure I got through junior school without thinking about it)
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:48 pm

I have considered this, as it happens.

My conclusion is that fusion and plasma will have an incendiary but not a burn effect. That is, they will quite likely start the target burning but do not themselves burn as all their energy is expended in the initial attack.
Annatar Giftbringer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:18 pm

Slap on a new trait, give it a suitable name and a modifier.

Upon taking damage while wielding a weapon with the ‘self-burn’ trait, roll a d6 and compare with the modifier. If above, boom! Incendiary grenade attack* centered on the flamer trooper.

Example: improvised flamer, self-burn** (3+)***
Arm NCP A with it, and shoot him with a pistol. Upon hit, roll d6. 4. Boom! He (and his friends) take flame damage.

Something like that?

*or they suffer an auto-hit attack with the burn-weapon.
** yes, it needs a better name.
*** a flamer meant for military use might have burn (6+) instead, to show that it’s armoured to protect from accidental explosions.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:47 pm

1. Burst radius; is the napalm under pressure?

2. Damage; how close was the rest of the squad?

3. Duration; suspect that uncontained plasma likely to cool down faster than napalm, also likely less quantity.
Annatar Giftbringer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:37 pm

steelbrok wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:26 pm
I've always* thought that Plasma or Fusion weapons would be tweaked (whether by official upgrade or in the field tweaking) to produce a flame thrower like effect

*Actually not really always, I'm sure I got through junior school without thinking about it)
That would be awesome! And very practical too, if one can bring one weapon that can be adjusted to deal with any target.

Something like reduced damage and range (both halved?) gain blast and fire?
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:50 pm

I wasn't fishing for suggestions. For various reasons I need to be sure my work is known to be mine rather than cribbed from discussions among fans.

This thread was more about me posting comments on what I'm doing as light relief from the process of doing it.
Annatar Giftbringer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:55 pm

Sorry ‘bout that. Was bored at work and got carried away. Anyways, fair enough, and quite understandable. Please keep posting, it’s always fun to read a behind the scenes or designer’s commentary :)
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:10 pm

No problem. I just don't want anyone going to trouble to make helpful suggestions when I'm not able to use them.
Baldo
Mongoose

Postby Baldo » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:23 pm

I still remember the "Personalities" from chapter 7 of your GURPS Traveller: Star Mercs (I have a soft spot for Private-Recruit James Laughan :lol: ), are you including something similar here?
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:55 pm

Not in this book, but there is a projected expansion that will have them.
steelbrok
Banded Mongoose

Postby steelbrok » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:46 pm

M J Dougherty wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:50 pm
I wasn't fishing for suggestions. For various reasons I need to be sure my work is known to be mine rather than cribbed from discussions among fans.

This thread was more about me posting comments on what I'm doing as light relief from the process of doing it.
I don't think we thought you were. But we like to join in with our thoughts and speculations.
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:58 am

That's fine by me. I just don't want anyone spending a lot of time and effort they don't need to.
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:42 pm

Today's theme has been oddments. Like 'can I convert this .357mm derringer to a short-barelled emergency grab-gun capable of firing a range of ammunition types? For that situation where you want to deter the local wildlife with a flashbang round and it doesn't work so you move on to the high-explosive ammunition in the other three barrels. Oh well, soup for dinner again.

Also, 'wouldn't it be nice if all our unit's vehicles had an emergency weapon that took up virtually no space but can use our standrd rifle magazines?' No problem, but don't expect much in the way of accuracy.

And 'a fully-automatic body pistol?' don't mind if I do.
Geir
Banded Mongoose

Postby Geir » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:57 pm

Smaller guns hurt my wrist when I fire them, but that's more a .38 special issue, not likely a body pistol issue (which is what, like a .25 caliber?), so I think fully automatic tiny guns would be impractical a a number of levels.

But back to flame throwers fusion and plamsa weapons and such... besides the flame effect, are you going to clarify if radiation weapons actually affect the firing party? I recall that being bounced around the forum a while back with no satisfactory consensus.
Geir Lanesskog
www.geir.org
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:19 pm

In theory, low velocity snub pistols are the perfect carry for seniors.

Which brings another thought: are the bullets slow enough that the target can get out of their way?