Page 1 of 3

Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:24 pm
by MongooseMatt
Greetings, fellow Travellers!

We have glorious news today, for we can finally announce a long, long awaited book - the all new Sword Worlds sourcebook is now on ebook and pre-order!

You can grab your own copy right here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/uk/s ... rlds2.html

North American Travellers can get theirs right here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/us/u ... rlds2.html


The Sword Worlds lie just beyond the Imperial border, a distinct cultural region settled long ago by refugees from a civil war. Theirs was a tough existence, but it produced a people both proud and resilient. Their history is one of internal and external conflict; wars for dominance of the Sword Worlds and wars against the Imperium.

Sword Worlds details the people of the Sword Worlds Confederation as they have never been seen before. Their motivations, their strengths and their weaknesses – along with the truth behind Imperial stereotypes of reckless spacegoing chauvinists, and the darker side of their culture.

This book examines how the worlds of the Confederation interact with one another, and how a technologically outmatched people have managed to stave off Imperial dominance for so long. Their armed forces are technologically simple yet incredibly resilient; their navy is very different to that of the Imperium. Minelayers, torpedo boats and orbital defence platforms defend the home worlds whilst battlecruisers raid deep into enemy territory.

Sword Worlds reveals secrets and little-known facts about the Sword Worlds Confederation. The Gimli endeavour, which strives to preserve Sword Worlds culture against any and all disasters; the Holmgang Compact, by which scores are settled illegally with honour. The Sword Worlders’ near-obsession with their tragic hero Admiral Denisov, and the Lost Swords – colonies that may still exist far beyond known space.

The Sword Worlds Confederation is a complex place, and at times a dangerous one. The Sword Worlders themselves are misunderstood by outsiders but one thing is clear – they are proud and quick to anger, slow to forgive. The Sword Worlds is a region where only the brave should venture, and where courage is the key to success or a noble death… or perhaps both.

Image

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:34 pm
by ShawnDriscoll
What's the feel of the rules, compared to previous writings? GURPS-like? MgT1-like? Is it closer to Traveller (Space Viking novel) or closer to Star Wars (rebels against the Empire)? Is there chargen?

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:47 am
by Annatar Giftbringer
I haven’t read through the entire book yet, and I’m unfamiliar with Star Viking so I can’t really help there (yet), but from what I’ve seen so far the new book places less emphasis on sword-toting techno-barbarians.

Honor & glory is important, as well as reputation and social standing.

Character generation follows the rulebook, but there’s a chapter called “Sword Worlds Travellers” that give insight into how Sword Worlders work and think, and tips on how to play them. A unique career is included (the Patrol, their Interstellar police force).
“Sword Worlds Travellers” wrote: Playing Sword Worlders, and portraying them in a game, can be tricky. It is easy to slide into stereotypes – macho chauvinists who swear by Odin all the time and think they are better than everyone else, taking stupid risks for no good reason. The reality is far more complex and much more interesting.
“Sword Worlds Travellers” wrote: Finally, the ‘Viking’ aspect should be used subtly. Sword Worlders admire an idealised version of Old Earth Scandinavian and North European culture, especially tales of daring explorers, warriors and traders. This does not mean they strut around in horned helmets drinking space-mead. They are not ‘Vikings in space’; they are Sword Worlders.
Ships, weapons and vehicles have been completely reworked compared to MgT1.

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:21 pm
by Reynard
My mind is saying Holiday Present! to myself when the hardcopy comes out.

The Spinward Marches/Trojan Reach are becoming more and more exciting.

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:17 pm
by Kafers25
Bought the pdf thru DriveThru yesterday and I'm about half way through reading it. Currently reading about the planets (Chapter Six). I am enjoying reading it. Just have to wait for my iPad to finish charging so I can sit down with coffee and finish reading it.

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:07 pm
by phavoc
Matt,

Will this be released through the supply chain to the local gaming stores? And will it be part of the Bits and Mortar program as well (i.e. you buy the physical book locally and get the PDF for free)?

I haven't been seeing a lot of the new products in my local game store and I want to support them as much as reasonably possible.

Thanks

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:17 pm
by Ursus Maior
Annatar Giftbringer wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:47 am
“Sword Worlds Travellers” wrote: Playing Sword Worlders, and portraying them in a game, can be tricky. It is easy to slide into stereotypes – macho chauvinists who swear by Odin all the time and think they are better than everyone else, taking stupid risks for no good reason. The reality is far more complex and much more interesting.
“Sword Worlds Travellers” wrote: Finally, the ‘Viking’ aspect should be used subtly. Sword Worlders admire an idealised version of Old Earth Scandinavian and North European culture, especially tales of daring explorers, warriors and traders. This does not mean they strut around in horned helmets drinking space-mead. They are not ‘Vikings in space’; they are Sword Worlders.
Ships, weapons and vehicles have been completely reworked compared to MgT1.
That sound promising. I also very much like the mindfulness in these formulations. We can still pretend to play during the 80s, but we can also choose to do differently. That is good, it allows people from more diverse backgrounds to pick up games and enjoy them.

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:22 pm
by MongooseMatt
phavoc wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Will this be released through the supply chain to the local gaming stores? And will it be part of the Bits and Mortar program as well (i.e. you buy the physical book locally and get the PDF for free)?
Of course, all Traveller books are available to retailers and the Bits and Mortar programme.

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:55 am
by ShawnDriscoll
Annatar Giftbringer wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:47 am
I haven’t read through the entire book yet, and I’m unfamiliar with Star Viking so I can’t really help there (yet), but from what I’ve seen so far the new book places less emphasis on sword-toting techno-barbarians.
The Space Viking novel is where The Sword Worlds come from. The novel put Feudal Technocracy on the map, as far as Traveller is concerned.

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:33 am
by Annatar Giftbringer
ShawnDriscoll wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:55 am
Annatar Giftbringer wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:47 am
I haven’t read through the entire book yet, and I’m unfamiliar with Star Viking so I can’t really help there (yet), but from what I’ve seen so far the new book places less emphasis on sword-toting techno-barbarians.
The Space Viking novel is where The Sword Worlds come from. The novel put Feudal Technocracy on the map, as far as Traveller is concerned.
I see, thanks. Aside from it’s historical value, is the book good? Worth a read?

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:44 am
by ShawnDriscoll
Annatar Giftbringer wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:33 am
I see, thanks. Aside from it’s historical value, is the book good? Worth a read?
The book's story is much better than its historical value.

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:00 pm
by MyndkryM
So far my only criticism is that the book lacks a "Creating Sword World Travellers" blurb, such as the Darrian entry in Behind the Claw. What is provided is pretty cool and I will definitely use, I just think a one page summary of Core careers and their Swordie equivalents would have been nice. I currently doing the deep read, so maybe that info is buried elsewhere.

Just a suggestion, should MgT2 provide that summary....maybe a one page digital supplement? JTAS article?

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:39 pm
by ShawnDriscoll
MyndkryM wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:00 pm
So far my only criticism is that the book lacks a "Creating Sword World Travellers" blurb, such as the Darrian entry in Behind the Claw. What is provided is pretty cool and I will definitely use, I just think a one page summary of Core careers and their Swordie equivalents would have been nice.
I'll stick with the MgT1 edition then. It has Sword Worlder chargen and careers in it.

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:53 pm
by Geir
ShawnDriscoll wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:39 pm
MyndkryM wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:00 pm
So far my only criticism is that the book lacks a "Creating Sword World Travellers" blurb, such as the Darrian entry in Behind the Claw. What is provided is pretty cool and I will definitely use, I just think a one page summary of Core careers and their Swordie equivalents would have been nice.
I'll stick with the MgT1 edition then. It has Sword Worlder chargen and careers in it.
There is a Patrol career in the new book. if you want a Sword World's spin on other military careers at least, you could just use the mustering out tables from Patrol to give them that flavor. And change the names of the ranks to Sword World equivalents.

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:06 pm
by MyndkryM
Geir wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:53 pm
ShawnDriscoll wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:39 pm
MyndkryM wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:00 pm
So far my only criticism is that the book lacks a "Creating Sword World Travellers" blurb, such as the Darrian entry in Behind the Claw. What is provided is pretty cool and I will definitely use, I just think a one page summary of Core careers and their Swordie equivalents would have been nice.
I'll stick with the MgT1 edition then. It has Sword Worlder chargen and careers in it.
There is a Patrol career in the new book. if you want a Sword World's spin on other military careers at least, you could just use the mustering out tables from Patrol to give them that flavor. And change the names of the ranks to Sword World equivalents.
I do like Patrol, and I'm not afraid to do a little work in adding the flavor. I'm thinking of more along the line of first time GM's or someone introducing this to new Traveller players. Sometimes just spelling things out is a nice tool to use.

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:12 pm
by Sigmar
Getting real techno viking vibes from the cover.
Image

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:10 am
by steelbrok
Is there an error on the Bonus skill tables for the Patrol career?

The pdf has 3 columns: Bonus skill, Security Bonus and Investigative and Interstellar Bonus
Looking at the skills it looks like the headings should be: Security bonus, Investigative Bonus, Interstellar Bonus

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:40 pm
by Annatar Giftbringer
Looking at the CSC entries, the Sword Worlders sure have an interesting gun philosophy! Martial skill is just as important to Swordies as it was for Vikings, but in the 57th (?) century guns are slightly more important than swords. This naturally means that rifle marksmanship has replaced swordsmanship, and one shot one kill is the ruling philosophy, so broadswords and man-portable Gatling guns are out. In fact none of the featured weapons even has an auto rating, including the jaegergevar, their standard issue infantry weapon.

Aside from the jaegergevar and its carbine cousin we’ve got short-range ferocious firepower, an impressively long-ranged sniper rifle, wicked pistol and an assortment of melee weapons/utility tools.

For those that want their Sword Worlds to be Viking-ish, the Aluksen Ase could in my mind be a perfect analogue for a mighty battleaxe (it’s the ferocious short-range gun from above), especially when fitted with bayonet - of the chaindrive variety for those who wanna take it one step further...

Two things:

Based on the ammo description for the VPF and the Aluksen, worlds I be correct in applying the pellet rules from CSC for them? (I.e no dodge, double armour)

What’s up with the HEAP ammo for the Palvelupistooli? I’m sorry but I can’t think of any situation where anytime works ever want to use it, ever? Why trade a respectable amount of damage for a mediocre amount of AP?

Both 1st and 2nd edition CSC has HEAP increasing damage as well as adding some AP...

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:40 am
by steelbrok
Annatar Giftbringer wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:40 pm
Looking at the CSC entries, the Sword Worlders sure have an interesting gun philosophy!
I'd have lied to see some infantry weapon or option that gives the Swordies troops a reasonable chance against at least Combat Armour equipped Imperial troops and maybe that VM11 heavy sniping rifle have a chance against Battle Dress.

Re: Sword Worlds - ebook & Pre-Order

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:03 am
by Annatar Giftbringer
Fair point!

Some thoughts:

A VM-11 with APDS rounds has an AP value of 15, with average damage 14 plus aiming bonus. That’s gonna hurt!

The weapons we see here aren’t everything they have access to, just a selection of unique gear.

Laser weapons strike hard, both rifles and heavies, and are within their technological reach.

They do have some access to TL12 stuff, so stuff like disposable plasma launchers and even PGMP aren’t impossible. We know they use plasma cannons on vehicles.

Battledress is supposed to be awesome, especially against lower TL opponents. Personally I’m fine with someone at 3-5 TLs disadvantage struggling in a one-on-one encounter against imperial marines. Toss in some vehicles to even the odds. The light autocannon on the APCs will help alot, not to mention plasma and gauss cannons. The extremely agile grav gunship would make an excellent battledress killer, for instance.