about TL Antimater TL20 (HG MGT2ed)

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Subzero001
Stoat

about TL Antimater TL20 (HG MGT2ed)

Postby Subzero001 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:15 am

Here is a question for the brain-trust:

If Darrians MGT1st ed 3imp (third imperium) have Antimatter power-plants / Antimatter torpedoes / possibly on their TL16 ancient ship fleet /star trigger etc.. at the tech level of 16 why is it cranked up to TL 20 now is that just for the imp? Wouldn't that mean that the Darrians reached TL19 or so and then dropped back down to TL 15-16. Is there new rules pertaining to reverse engineering for 2ed MGT. Is there going to be or is a write up about the "ancient" Darrians where they traveled / in what type of craft / is there such a thing like lost Memory cores (battletech) in the traveller OTU? I remember high tech librarys and the personality wafer disks in "Agent of the imperium".

Regarding time drives MGT 2nd: if per-say I wanted to make a hybrid J-Drive with the positive effect of just to manipulate the time inside the bubbles the micro universe (standard space) during the jump so you still have the week travel and such but it looped it back a week so it seems almost instantaneous to an outside observer.

just some ideas rattling around in my head.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: about TL Antimater TL20 (HG MGT2ed)

Postby AnotherDilbert » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:08 am

Subzero001 wrote: If Darrians MGT1st ed 3imp (third imperium) have Antimatter power-plants / Antimatter torpedoes / possibly on their TL16 ancient ship fleet /star trigger etc.. at the tech level of 16 why is it cranked up to TL 20 now is that just for the imp?
I have no idea what MgT1 sourcebooks did, but antimatter power generation has always been TL17 from CT to MgT1.

Subzero001 wrote: Regarding time drives MGT 2nd: if per-say I wanted to make a hybrid J-Drive with the positive effect of just to manipulate the time inside the bubbles the micro universe (standard space) during the jump so you still have the week travel and such but it looped it back a week so it seems almost instantaneous to an outside observer.
You can do as you wish, of course, but the limited speed of communication is a foundational principle of the Third Imperium setting.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:17 pm

Don't have my Darrian sourcebooks nearby but I remember the Star Trigger event bombed them back to the stone age while wrecking the infrastructure of several star systems. It was a great achievement they got back on the feet as much as they did but they never fully recovered. Part of rebuilding could have been finding protected information sources. They rose again but not to be a technological military power to surpass the Imperium or Consulate. As fact, they rely on the Imperium for some higher tech. That's why they hint at *possibly* having other Star Triggers.

As to the time tech issue, you created an alternate tech not represented in the TU. That means your version is possible as an ATU tech. Yes, it allows the ship to 'instantly' travel from entry to exit BUT your micro universe still travels for a week while your micro universe is traveling back in time so when you re-enter normal space, it looks to to have spent no time at all. Problem is the ship and crew have still aged one week. They are a little older than the universe each time they jump. Reverse Twins Paradox.
Subzero001
Stoat

Postby Subzero001 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:43 am

from Reynard
As to the time tech issue, you created an alternate tech not represented in the TU. Not true.
this is represented in the time drive of the MGT2ed HG book and the MGT1st ed psion book
from the psion book Thus, a 300 ton ship with a TF Time Drive could achieve up to increment 4 – days – backwards or forwards in time; with a TM drive, it could travel across all 10 increments; from Rounds up to Millenia.
There is no limit on how far a time ship can move through time, as long as its movement does not exceed its incremental band.
Thus, a 300 ton, TF-equipped ship, can move up to:
1-10 Rounds
1-60 minutes
1-24 hours
1-7 days
It cannot move above 7days (even by a few seconds) as it has reached the limitations of its drive capability.
My original question would this OTU device effect the "standard universe" if your applying it to an alternate universe like the FTL jump bubble universe? Using a T drive as a smaller add on device to a Jump drive because I'm effecting just the smaller parallel jump space bubble universe. To take out one of the legs "time effect in normal universe" (I'm not trying to mess with communications since that is a third imperium regiment) just getting from A to B what seems faster than normal i.e. beating the competition to market.

from Reynard
Problem is the ship and crew have still aged one week. They are a little older than the universe each time they jump. Reverse Twins Paradox.
this is already in effect since were using FTL and beyond that affects time to just about a stand still in the "normal universe" anyways. Couldn't this be fixed by a round in cold sleep from time to time to catch-up with the normal universe? Their normal way to fix it is time in the alternate universe bubble seems to take a elongated week time wise as time in the "normal universe" ages a week is the standard jump.

My first question was is there a standard for the "newly" revised OTU that is known now with the modifications of T5, Agent to the Imperium and Mongoose 2nd ed. That it looked like they slapped a major race with a paradox of TL and I was just trying to get an understanding to the known TL of OTU affecting each of the known major races, since I was asking about the third imperium which seems to be a bit different than the MGT2nd ed "refresh?"

thanks as always for any incite.
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:58 am

The Traveller rules and the Traveller setting are two very different things (apart from MT, T4 and T5)

Your Traveller ruleset of choice may include lots of options such as warp drives, time drives, Star Wars fighter movement and other such nonsense, but those technologies are not part of the Third Imperium setting often referred to as the OTU.

T5.10 is the prime source, if you want to detail the OTU. If there is a conflict between T5 and MgT then T5 trumps MgT for the setting, but MgT offers many more options to detail alternative settings, which is actually what Classic Traveller was all about.

At best the MgT re-imaging of the Third Imperium setting is an ATU in the same way as the GT ATU was an alternative universe. Just like GT, however. if there is no conflict then MgT resources describe the OTU.

There are certain MgT resources, especially the 1e stuff, that were written by people who had never picked up a Traveller book let alone learned of the setting. Hence there are lots of conflicts with older canon sources. Their work is great for building your own setting, but it doesn't describe the OTU.

Use what you want to for the adventures you and your group want to run and have fun, that's the main thing.