Do Torpol have TL 8 or B?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Varulv
Stoat

Do Torpol have TL 8 or B?

Postby Varulv » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:48 pm

According to travellermap.com and wiki.travellerrpg.com Torpol (Trojan Reach 2221) has TL 8.

But according to Pirates of Drinax sourcebook The Trojan Reach, Torpol's TL is B. The same goes for the Trojan Reach sector map. But the Torpol cluster pdf says TL 8.

Is this a simple typo, or has the TL been updated for some reason? If this comes down to referee’s call, what would you suggest?
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Do Torpol have TL 8 or B?

Postby paltrysum » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:06 am

Mongoose eventually declared that travellermap is the source of truth.
My published Traveller adventures on DriveThruRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... %20Griffen
Garran
Stoat

Postby Garran » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:44 am

I'd put it down to GeDeCo shenanigans...
Ursus Maior
Mongoose

Postby Ursus Maior » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:15 am

Except for the PoD package, every source says Torpol is TL8, so I used that. It makes it a bit harder to let them work with a (downgraded) Gionetti-class light cruiser, but that was introduced in the Torpol-Cluster PDF, which mentions TL8. I just ruled most of the crew is from outside, the ship has problems being kept together and is severely downgraded.
liber et infractus
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:50 pm

Ursus Maior wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:15 am
Except for the PoD package, every source says Torpol is TL8, so I used that. It makes it a bit harder to let them work with a (downgraded) Gionetti-class light cruiser, but that was introduced in the Torpol-Cluster PDF, which mentions TL8. I just ruled most of the crew is from outside, the ship has problems being kept together and is severely downgraded.
The problem with the PoD book is that it was built upon the foundation of the MgT1 version of the same campaign. They made a lot of nice additions, obviously, but a few anachronisms were left in. My take on it is that travellermap is canon and you can cross reference it to get the right stats. Individual refs may, of course, do whatever they please.
My published Traveller adventures on DriveThruRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... %20Griffen
Varulv
Stoat

Postby Varulv » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:31 pm

Thank you all for your input. TL 8 it is then!
Tay
Mongoose

Postby Tay » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:43 pm

They corrected it in the Torpol Cluster book. I suspect when they copy / pasted it the 8 became a B.
Ursus Maior
Mongoose

Postby Ursus Maior » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:55 pm

paltrysum wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:50 pm
The problem with the PoD book is that it was built upon the foundation of the MgT1 version of the same campaign. They made a lot of nice additions, obviously, but a few anachronisms were left in. My take on it is that travellermap is canon and you can cross reference it to get the right stats. Individual refs may, of course, do whatever they please.
Oh, I'm absolutely on board with you on travellermap being the canon version and I use that, too for my game. By now, even PoD Volume 1 names Torpol TL8 in the appendices on diplomacy.

So TL8 clearly is the right way to go here, unless a gm wills it differently, of course.
liber et infractus