Spying on the Zhodani

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
GamingGlen
Mongoose

Spying on the Zhodani

Postby GamingGlen » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:50 am

How does the Imperium spy on the Zhos?

Any citizen keeping a mind shield up is probably detained by Zho authorities for a more thorough investigation.

Are there trained psionics that can keep a false ID in their surface thoughts? What are their options when found out?
Glen
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Spying on the Zhodani

Postby Sigtrygg » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:41 am

The Imperium has a couple of secret psi-institutes for training spooks.

The Imperium also has technology for memory and personality alteration - you overwrite your spook with a completely new identity and send them into Zhodani space - even they don't know they are a spook.
Garran
Stoat

Postby Garran » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:22 am

Behind The Claw has a very short mention of this: the implication is that the Zhodani allow Imperium agents to operate as long as they don't cause trouble. (Presumably this means that general observation and reporting is allowed to slide, but anything more than that is increasingly likely to result in a disappearance.)
Ursus Maior
Stoat

Postby Ursus Maior » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:46 am

I think it's in the Psionics chapter of the core rulebook or a nother chapter on psi-tech, where it's mentioned that official diplomats are allowed to use psi-shields when operating in the Consulate. But other people need permits from the Zhodani government. Now, since corruption seems rather low in the ZC for reasons of re-education camps and psionic control, obtaining a permit through the black market might be highly unlikely. Corruption here being unlawful bending of the rules by proles, such behaviour by Zhodani psions who can shield themselves is another matter entirely. But back-channeling these permits from nobles or faking them. However faking theses permits will only be feasible, if in general 3I computer technology has an edge over ZC technology in that regard.

So, if I were the Imperium, I would keep a token force of psionics for defence research and shielding high-value targets, and also try to keep a general edge in my TL over the ZC. This would also allow for other means of espionage against the ZC. And I think these means would likely yield more results, namels SIGINT in general, OSINT and other tech-based intelligence gathering forms such as digital network intelligence, financial intelligence and technical intelligence.
liber et infractus
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:51 pm

Probably highly dependent on stealthed drones that infiltrate Zhodani space to do electronic monitoring, especially movement of warships and signals intelligence.

I'd infiltrate robots to get human intelligence.
Commander Zoom
Cub

Postby Commander Zoom » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:12 am

Sigtrygg wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:41 am
The Imperium has a couple of secret psi-institutes for training spooks.

The Imperium also has technology for memory and personality alteration - you overwrite your spook with a completely new identity and send them into Zhodani space - even they don't know they are a spook.
Look at CT Adventure 6 Expedition to Zhodane for an example of an Imperial Intelligence operation against the Zhodani,
Varulv
Stoat

Postby Varulv » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:50 am

Hi GamingGlen,

there's an older thread on this subject which you might find interesting: viewtopic.php?f=89&t=121881
Ursus Maior
Stoat

Postby Ursus Maior » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:04 am

Condottiere wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:51 pm
Interesting choice, skin jobs are definitely possible. But wouldn't they be quite obvious to Zhodani, since they don't give any return, when telepathy is used on them?
liber et infractus
GamingGlen
Mongoose

Postby GamingGlen » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:40 am

Thanks for the link to the older thread. I remember that one NOW.

I'll check Expedition to Zhodane, I had forgotten about that one.
Glen
NOLATrav
Banded Mongoose

Postby NOLATrav » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:28 pm

Ursus Maior wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:04 am
Condottiere wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:51 pm
Interesting choice, skin jobs are definitely possible. But wouldn't they be quite obvious to Zhodani, since they don't give any return, when telepathy is used on them?
Warbots are historically a big part of Zhodani military operations. I wonder if robots are common in Zhodani civilian society as well?... if so, there's your opening. Janitorial bot, protocol droid, repair drone, all hiding in plain sight.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:12 pm

Unless there's a psionic discipline that can read central processing units.

And that's assuming the human brain can function at the same speed.
Ursus Maior
Stoat

Postby Ursus Maior » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:40 pm

Well, there is definitely a machine controlling power available to some psions.
liber et infractus
Garran
Stoat

Postby Garran » Fri May 01, 2020 1:37 am

A skinjob would probably have trouble passing through technological scanners/security checks, nevermind psionic ones. If you can insert one past any checkpoints, and it kept away from any likely checkpoints, that would probably work - as long as it's made to look appropriately happy all the time!
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat May 02, 2020 5:17 pm