What is the salary for crew filling two position?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
snrdg121408
Greater Spotted Mongoose

What is the salary for crew filling two position?

Postby snrdg121408 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:54 pm

Hello all,

On the TML a question was asked about the salary for a crew member filling two positions in MgT 2e. So far my efforts have not found an answer. Can someone please point me to the book and page the information is found on?

In CT LBB 2 1977/1981 p. 16 I did find this bit of information "...and the individual draws salary equal to 75% of each position;..."
snrdg121408 (aka Tom R)
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: What is the salary for crew filling two position?

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:45 pm

Undefined.

We might use "Salary can vary but the values on the Crew Requirements table shows a monthly average for skill level 1 crew, with the presumption that +50% will be added for every skill level above this." (HG, p20)

Adding both skills would give a nice salary boost...
Garran
Stoat

Postby Garran » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:03 pm

What are the two positions (and ship) in question? It'll depend a lot on the circumstances.
FreeTrav
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby FreeTrav » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:30 pm

Garran wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:03 pm
What are the two positions (and ship) in question? It'll depend a lot on the circumstances.
In the particular case asked about (I'm the original querent from the TML), one position was made up, the other varied - there was one pilot-plus, one engineer-plus, one gunner-plus, and three new-position-only. The ship is a somewhat uprated pinnace (not jump-capable). The question, however, would be applicable to pretty much any vessel, jump-capable or not, that is "player-character sized", which I interpret to be anything from roughly the subsidized liner down.

On the TML, it was pointed out that in some cases, using the CT rule cited above (which I had originally planned on using, without actually consciously realizing that that's where it came from) would result in the dual-assigned character making less than a single-assigned character in the higher-salaried position. That seemed Just Not Right to me, so I ended up modifying that rule: Use the greater of higher-plus-half-lower or three-quarters-plus-three-quarters. But if there is anything formally defining how to handle the situation in Mongoose 1 or 2, I'm still interested.
Jeff Zeitlin
Editor, Freelance Traveller
The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller® Magazine and Resource
snrdg121408
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby snrdg121408 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:28 pm

Hello FreeTrav,
FreeTrav wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:30 pm
Garran wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:03 pm
In the particular case asked about (I'm the original querent from the TML), one position was made up, the other varied - there was one pilot-plus, one engineer-plus, one gunner-plus, and three new-position-only. The ship is a somewhat uprated pinnace (not jump-capable). The question, however, would be applicable to pretty much any vessel, jump-capable or not, that is "player-character sized", which I interpret to be anything from roughly the subsidized liner down.

On the TML, it was pointed out that in some cases, using the CT rule cited above (which I had originally planned on using, without actually consciously realizing that that's where it came from) would result in the dual-assigned character making less than a single-assigned character in the higher-salaried position. That seemed Just Not Right to me, so I ended up modifying that rule: Use the greater of higher-plus-half-lower or three-quarters-plus-three-quarters. But if there is anything formally defining how to handle the situation in Mongoose 1 or 2, I'm still interested.
I just thought about a solution while looking at this thread. The suggestion is for the primary position to get the full standard salary and the secondary position to get 50 or 75% of the salary.
snrdg121408 (aka Tom R)
FreeTrav
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby FreeTrav » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:35 pm

snrdg121408 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:28 pm
Hello FreeTrav,

I just thought about a solution while looking at this thread. The suggestion is for the primary position to get the full standard salary and the secondary position to get 50 or 75% of the salary.
That's more-or-less what I came up with - the full higher salary plus half of the lower, if that total is greater than three-quarters of each.
Jeff Zeitlin
Editor, Freelance Traveller
The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller® Magazine and Resource
Garran
Stoat

Postby Garran » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:12 pm

FreeTrav wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:30 pm
The reason that I asked what the jobs were is that they don't always require a dedicated crewmember, particularly for small/tramp ships with limited crew sizes. In the case of the Free/Far Trader, for example, "Astrogator" is listed as a position, but you don't really need someone doing that job full-time, just someone who is capable of doing it even if their primary job is something else. For reasons of efficiency you probably don't want the Engineer to be doing it, but there's no reason why the Pilot/Medic/Steward couldn't, or the "Astrogator" actually have some other primary responsibility when not preparing for a jump.

A large military ship probably would keep someone on-duty as an Astrogator at all times, both because it can spare the manpower, and to ensure that there are constantly-updated jump plots ready to go as part of its contingency plans.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:51 pm

I think a PC might get a 50% bump in pay, at most, but no more than that. For those jobs that aren't used all the time (Pilot, Navigator, gunner) they could fill two slots in a perfect world where you would not need each. However navigators still need to plot courses in N-space to get to other places (any pilot should be able to figure out where the world is and get there if they emerge at 100D), and gunners may be needed right up to the point of jump if you are in combat.

There there is the time in jump that crew still need to perform duties on the ship. Jump doesn't make much of a difference for maintenance, watches, etc. All of that is being done every day. So a person filling two roles in that sense wouldn't be able to fill two full roles simultaneously. Those who have served in the merchant marine or navy should be able to explain why somebody would NOT want that kind of job for the long-term.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:07 pm

Unless it's a shipping line corporation, salary negotiations are probably in order, determining exact duties and wages.

Or there's a Spacer Union.

Astrogation doesn't seem to require much actual time to calculate, probably the equivalent of a medical doctor diagnosticating; acquiring that institutional knowledge and how to apply it correctly probably requires a tad longer. You're paying for that, not for staring at some zodiac charts once a fortnight.

Secondary duties can be compensated for by how long you spend on them, and how arduous they are: steward gunners probably get a twenty percent bump.

Astrogator pilots likely a fifty percent bonus.