MgT2e Sensor Types

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
seancscott
Cub

MgT2e Sensor Types

Postby seancscott » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:25 am

The Core Rulebook pg.151 defines all the listed sensor types except EM. I'm guessing Electro-Magnetic but can we please get an official definition with some examples.
HG2e pg. 19 gives us the Sensors (Basic, Civilian, etc.) and the Suites (LIDAR, RADAR; Jammers, LIDAR, RADAR; etc.) but no mention of EM in the Suites or a definition of Jammers and their effect on gameplay. May we please get an official clarification.

Thanks!
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: MgT2e Sensor Types

Postby AnotherDilbert » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:45 am

seancscott wrote: The Core Rulebook pg.151 defines all the listed sensor types except EM. I'm guessing Electro-Magnetic but can we please get an official definition with some examples.
I would assume EM means Electro-Magnetic too.

seancscott wrote: HG2e pg. 19 gives us the Sensors (Basic, Civilian, etc.) and the Suites (LIDAR, RADAR; Jammers, LIDAR, RADAR; etc.) but no mention of EM in the Suites or a definition of Jammers and their effect on gameplay. May we please get an official clarification.
See the Electronic Warfare action (Core, p161). While we can use any sensor package to perform the action, the more advanced types gives a better DM, and the dedicated ECM Suites (HG, pp41) gives even better DMs.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:54 am

As things stand, the descriptions of sensor types are more or less for flavour - mechanically, everything gets handled by the Electronics (sensors) check, so the actual nature of the results are down to the referee.

However, this is indeed an area of the game that has been pegged for expansion.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
seancscott
Cub

Postby seancscott » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:38 am

Got it. Thanks!
qstor
Banded Mongoose

Postby qstor » Sun May 17, 2020 8:54 pm

@Matt - So something like the passive EMS from the MT World builders handbook p. 10 would be available as start of the Basic sensors?

Are there rules for long range like a parasec away sensor readings for like exploration?
"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to go around pissed off all the time" Edward Furlong - American History X
NOLATrav
Banded Mongoose

Postby NOLATrav » Sun May 17, 2020 9:39 pm

qstor wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:54 pm
@Matt - So something like the passive EMS from the MT World builders handbook p. 10 would be available as start of the Basic sensors?

Are there rules for long range like a parasec away sensor readings for like exploration?
The Great Rift supplement has rules for deep space exploration. Haven’t seen it myself but should be worth a look.

A bit off-topic but we have always forgotten to apply the sensor DMs during non-combat situations. I’ve house-ruled out the Core sensor DMs completely and have given each type of sensor package an effective range band, like weapons. DM+1 per range band closer, DM-1 per range band farther; you can upgrade if you have a few tons and some creds to spare. We do this also with energy weapons at all scales. We haven’t done an exploration campaign so I haven’t really looked at multi-parsec implications yet.

As far as specific elements of a sensor package, I kind of lean on MegaTraveller too, all ships have standard EMS (electromagnetic spectrum) and radar/comms as a minimum. Once you have a hull and a bridge/cockpit you automatically have the worst/cheapest package from Core, sort of, which I call a Basic package (EMS, radar, radio comms; Medium range). Each successive upgrade adds a range band and a capability.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Sun May 17, 2020 9:48 pm

qstor wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:54 pm

As things stand, the former would be up to the referee. For the latter, The Great Rift set is the one for you!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com