How To Play Traveller RPG: Character Creation Summary

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
CyborgPrime
Stoat

Postby CyborgPrime » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:11 am

The Traveller sci-fi RPG has an interesting and innovative character generation system. I wrote this article for newcomers to the game as a summary of the Traveller character creation process outlining concepts and procedures for generating Traveller characters complete with backstories. Covers Mongoose Edition. Please enjoy!
https://www.cyborgprime.com/sci-fi-rpg- ... r-creation
Randalthor66
Shrew

Re: How To Play Traveller RPG: Character Creation Summary

Postby Randalthor66 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:24 pm

CyborgPrime wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:11 am
The Traveller sci-fi RPG has an interesting and innovative character generation system. I wrote this article for newcomers to the game as a summary of the Traveller character creation process outlining concepts and procedures for generating Traveller characters complete with backstories. Covers Mongoose Edition. Please enjoy!
https://www.cyborgprime.com/sci-fi-rpg- ... r-creation
Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, just wanted to say that I hope you stressed how fun the random chargen process can be. I have a blast making Traveller characters (having made a couple score over the last little bit), I just couldn't seem to stop myself. The ones that stand out to me are the ones where their initial "path" was altered. Like my scholar/historian. He got through 2 terms of scholar and then was booted and drifted for his next 4. He got an ancient artifact (I made it a weird piece of stone with what looked like it could be a map or diagram of some kind, it didn't do anything, it just was something) and had an enemy trailing him after it. Pure backstory gold. I liked him even better than the 7-term rear admiral or the 6-term Marine Major I made. (I like to push it when making characters, just to see what happens.) It is amazing how often the dice will just seem to follow a script, which is neat, but then they take a turn and off you go! Fun. So fun.

Oh yeah. Yesterday I did a Believer from the Companion and he got booted after 2 terms, too. Went into the Army, excelled there, but the real craziness was his Mustering Out rolls. The three he got from Believer ended up making him a living saint. Frikkin ridiculous! So he was running around the Army as an NCO, and Living Saint for his religion. His Army Mustering Out was just as crazy: 4 Combat Implants. 4. It was like the game was telling me to play Cyberpunk or something. Only had Cr20K, though, so needs to get some work quickly.