What would you like to see?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: What would you like to see?

Postby locarno24 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:38 am

bklokis wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:02 pm
This might be counter to the premise of Traveller, or perhaps I should just start reading the Judge Dredd supplement, but I would love a Campaign with a much much smaller setting scope and much more streamlined background reading. Like one system, or a localized multisystem adventure about a single corporate entity, or agents within that entity. Just something that doesn't require knowledge of 50 systems, ship-types, races, empires, corporations, etc. These are hard enough for the Referee to keep together over a multi-year campaign let alone players who may be first time to the table.

The last couple of campaigns & kickstarters have promoted themselves as these massively expansive sandbox-y campaigns....I guess I'm asking for an alternate approach, where the complexity grows inward rather than outward...thinking in terms of depth rather than breadth.
That's probably another vote in favour of a re-worked Beltstrike. That was, essentially, a 'starter campaign' where the system wasn't jump-capable, and had one main inhabited world and several asteroid clusters exploited by miners. Aside from a fixed mining platform, every ship involved was straight out of the core rulebook, but it still managed to be very interesting to play; it's one example I like to hold up that an interesting space RPG campaign doesn't need to be set across a large region of space or have unique technology.

Including some (simple!) rules for developing a commercial entity based on two-and-a-bit starships (i.e. not Dynasty!) and giving the High Guard mining rules a going over and you've got an interesting adventure. A decent map of a star system (with transit times at various accelerations) and you've got quite an interesting set of resources.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
Randalthor66
Shrew

Postby Randalthor66 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:54 pm

A series of true exploration adventures, accompanied by GM specific information and tools on how to craft your own.

A vast majority of the adventures I see for Traveller all deal with being in civilized space. Sure, sometimes that is at the edge - often it is at the edge - but so rare in the actual "wilds" that I cannot think of one. (If you can, I would love it if you could mention it so I can check it out.)

In keeping with this theme, I would love to see some ships made for long-term exploration. A 100-ton ship does not cut it. For long-term exploration you need the ability to stay away from civilization for long periods, like months or even years. So, they need the ability to gather and manufacture materials as they go - which could help them when they run into other civilizations (trade as well as the ability to assist if needed - a great way to get good will from those you meet). Of course, the living quarters would need to be a bit more.... comfortable.... and with room to grow. (People are people, after all.) They also need to be tough; able to take some damage and dish some if necessary.

I had the idea of the Solomani seeking to explore/expand in the direction opposite the 3I (the "south" end of Aldebaran Sector, basically) in a converted Azhanti. That size ship is about the right size; big and tough, but with the spinal mount and some of the fighter compliment removed (replaced really) by manufacturing plants and other systems, it would do nicely. Plus, with the crew compliment, it means bringing in new PCs - from either the current one's dying or new players joining - would be easy because there would be plenty to choose from. I would love it if someone could re-do the map of the Azhanti from Arrival Vengeance the Megatraveller adventure in this vein. :D

But, overall, I just want a really good Traveller supplement that deals with trips - short or long - into totally unknown regions of space. From 6-to-12 example systems would be greatly appreciated.
Geir
Mongoose

Postby Geir » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Randalthor66 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:54 pm
A series of true exploration adventures, accompanied by GM specific information and tools on how to craft your own.

A vast majority of the adventures I see for Traveller all deal with being in civilized space. Sure, sometimes that is at the edge - often it is at the edge - but so rare in the actual "wilds" that I cannot think of one. (If you can, I would love it if you could mention it so I can check it out.)
The Great Rift set, especially Book 4, covers exploration, or at least system generation, and the recent Kickstarter Deepnight Revelation is all about it. Not sure when it will be available to non-kickstarters (Fall?) but it is all about a twenty year voyage into the great unknown, with plenty of opportunity to go "off script" into your own adventures.
Geir Lanesskog
www.geir.org
Ursus Maior
Weasel

Postby Ursus Maior » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:28 am

bklokis wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:02 pm
This might be counter to the premise of Traveller, or perhaps I should just start reading the Judge Dredd supplement, but I would love a Campaign with a much much smaller setting scope and much more streamlined background reading. Like one system, or a localized multisystem adventure about a single corporate entity, or agents within that entity. Just something that doesn't require knowledge of 50 systems, ship-types, races, empires, corporations, etc. These are hard enough for the Referee to keep together over a multi-year campaign let alone players who may be first time to the table.

The last couple of campaigns & kickstarters have promoted themselves as these massively expansive sandbox-y campaigns....I guess I'm asking for an alternate approach, where the complexity grows inward rather than outward...thinking in terms of depth rather than breadth.
I would second that, though I'm uncertain, if Mongoose wishes to go that way. But it would certainly be a project worth writing, maybe as a licensed venture by an independent publisher? I have ideas for something like that. It could and should actually be part of the Mongoose Traveller Universe, in my opinion.
liber et infractus
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:32 am

Did somebody mention Robots?

Yes, Robots.
Outtasight!
heron61
Mongoose

Postby heron61 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:55 pm

What I most want is alien books, especially for droyne & hivers, but we know this will eventually happen. For things that aren't scheduled, I really want a new psion book, as well as a book with more TL 14-16 tech and some discussion of transhumanist technologies. Also, a robots book would be awesome (include cyberware too, and it would likely fit well into High Tech + transhumanism book).