What would you like to see?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

What would you like to see?

Postby AndrewW » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:07 am

Nothing official, just throwing this out there.

Could be anything, supplements, boxed sets, adventures and so forth.
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: What would you like to see?

Postby locarno24 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:37 am

Matt talked about a Beltstrike II - essentially a combination of Beltstrike updated for 2nd edition and a sort of combination Merchant Prince/Dynasty supplement.

That might be pretty cool to see, and mechanics for running a small corporation fleet (as in, small enough that you can realistically reel off the names of all your ships and where they currently are without looking them up) 'off-camera' might be nice - and would potentially help a lot for its pirate equivalent in the existing Drinax campaign.

Obviously Fifth Frontier War as a box set (or even multiple box sets) would be pretty epic too, and the cruiser-sized ships that the Naval Campaign and Deepnight are based on are an interesting starting point; big enough to be involved in major actions, small enough to do detached missions and to have to run like terrified schoolchildren from actual battleships and dreadnoughts...

As far as non-canon stuff, I'm trying to figure out how I'd play the His Majesty's Dragon series at the moment. Still a bit unsure what basic mechanics suit it best.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:24 pm

Something like the old Tarsus/Beltstrike modules: a detailed view of a single system.

Systems are too often treated as a single city...
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:29 pm

Yes. . .a really detailed look at a system, rather than a sector, would be a lot of fun.

I like what MJD did with the Borderland Supplement on Inurin, but dig down another two levels of of detail, complete with personalities. A star system, especially a trinary system like he described, is a big place with lots of opportunity for adventure. The game doesn’t have to be six months jumping across the sector.
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Postby legozhodani » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:15 pm

A new version of Tarsus/system for me too. Plus Belter 2 sounds great.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:19 am

Perhaps not rehashing the Tarsus or Bowman systems, but somewhere new.

A system with several inhabited planets and an interesting situation. Somewhere like Esalin or Arden, divided by the Imperial and Zhodani interests?
Varulv
Stoat

Postby Varulv » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:50 pm

2D-deckplans for all ships published for the second edition.
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:43 pm

Tower block deckplans for Element class cruisers in the same format as the original AHL CT boxed set so the plans can actually be used on the gaming table with 15mm figures.

A ship combat minis game based on either A Call to Arms or Victory at Sea.

Vanguard.
NOLATrav
Banded Mongoose

Postby NOLATrav » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:44 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:19 am
Perhaps not rehashing the Tarsus or Bowman systems, but somewhere new.
Yes.

Even better would be a multi-star system, each with its own settled planets, moons and anomalies.
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:00 pm

So I don’t have these Taurus or Beltstrike publications. Which version(s) were they published for?
Annatar Giftbringer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Beltstrike was Mongoose v.1, the other one... no idea :)
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:52 pm

Annatar Giftbringer wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:21 pm
Beltstrike was Mongoose v.1, the other one... no idea :)
Also Classic Traveller.
Geir
Mongoose

Postby Geir » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 pm

Old School wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:00 pm
So I don’t have these Taurus or Beltstrike publications. Which version(s) were they published for?
They were both box sets from the original (or second edition LBBs, I suppose). Somehow, over the decades, both sets ended up in my Taurus box, but the wiki shows Beltstrike in its own box, so given the number of times I've moved since then, I assume it to be true.
The Taurus set was one of my favorites, but those sorts of things have a narrow appeal to a Traveller campaign that doesn't involve much travelling, but more what in the classic Science Fiction era would be referred to as a "Planetary Romance".
Geir Lanesskog
www.geir.org
Galadrion
Banded Mongoose

Postby Galadrion » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:26 am

Let's see... an updated Merchant Prince, maybe expanded enough to be a full-sized hardback - I don't know if anyone wants to tackle a boxed set on this.

Perhaps politics, covering not only the Third Imperium but also the Zhodani, the Solomani, and possibly the Hivers. This one could easily grow into a boxed set, especially if you start covering the interactions between these groups... and include their interactions with Vargr and Aslan politics, as well. Shoot, just the interactions between the Imperium and the Zhodani would basically be a lead-in the the Fifth Frontier War, which gives you some idea for the potential scope of such a megaproject.

Rules on technology development, and how characters can participate and even drive things. This could also tie into economic development, as well: how does a world go from a fledgling colony to an industrialized hub of interstellar trade and learning? How would an aspiring leader - or grand puppet-master operating behind the throne - cause this development to happen?
Ursus Maior
Weasel

Postby Ursus Maior » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:43 am

A 2nd edition version of Mongoose's "Book 10: Cosmopolite". I like the ideas the book offers and it would really make an interesting addition to MgT2.
liber et infractus
Sprite
Cub

Postby Sprite » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:54 am

Printer-friendly deckplans of all 2e starships.

A book about Space Stations! Big ones. Which look like those we know from sciencefiction art.

More small TL 10-13 starships. I think for Mongoose v1 there have been two supplements with space vessels which haven't been brought to v2 yet?

A supplement about Planetary Megastructures (like Arcologies). Not sure if such thing has been done before.
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:15 pm

Some good ideas here. I’ve over time come around to the idea that most of the alternative careers presented in the 1st edition career books add very little over their base careers in the core rules, but I’ve always like “Cosmopolite”.

BIG Highport deck plans would be very cool.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:49 pm

Sprite wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:54 am
More small TL 10-13 starships. I think for Mongoose v1 there have been two supplements with space vessels which haven't been brought to v2 yet?
Traders and Gunboats and Merchants and Cruisers. And correct, no 2nd edition version of either of these has been done.
Geir
Mongoose

Postby Geir » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:44 pm

Robots
Geir Lanesskog
www.geir.org
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:11 am

Definitely reading this thread with interest.