How to let players generate the characters they want without letting them min/max?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Re: How to let players generate the characters they want without letting them min/max?

Postby Condottiere » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:29 pm

Role playing games allow great latitude to interpret RAW, to the point of mutating them mid session.

Wargaming tends to a stricter adherence, and keeping them as universal as possible, and because of time pressure, disputes can be resolved by chance.
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: How to let players generate the characters they want without letting them min/max?

Postby locarno24 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:18 am

Condottiere wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:29 pm
Role playing games allow great latitude to interpret RAW, to the point of mutating them mid session.

Wargaming tends to a stricter adherence, and keeping them as universal as possible, and because of time pressure, disputes can be resolved by chance.
Very much so. A wargame, after all, is essentially a competitive experience. It's also supposed to be fun, but generally speaking it's designed to produce a 'winner' and 'loser'.
There are more competive RPGs - where the GM has strictly limited resources and abilities; stuff like Heroquest and Imperial Assault, or very strict balanced-encounter-level driven D&D dungeon crawls.

Traveller isn't one of those - the GM's job is to produce a 'positive gaming experience', whatever the table collectively agrees that is, and if the story is best served by introducing TL27 body armour, weapons and augments, then I believe the Secrets of the Ancients campaign included all three.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:58 pm

To my mind, that's the difference between story telling, and designing vehicles and weapon systems.