Naval Campaign Book questions

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
arcador
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Naval Campaign Book questions

Postby arcador » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm

The book looks good. There are some things I would consider otherwise, but I have 0 experience with any military organisation, thus will abstain from speaking.

My questions are regarding little details, with mostly minor complications:

To see, if I understand it right, I will reiterate some of the rules.

ECI is the general efficiency of the ship's crew.
ECEI is the same, but modifier by the mission fatigue and events which can alter it. Changing ECEI does not modify the individual average crew skill (they don't learn or forget skills just because Cheif Engi got spaced).

- On page 12, there are 2 traits (6 and 8 ) which modify the CEI. Does this affect the crew's individual skills (Since it's not ECEI)?

- On page 14, Using ECEI in a sacrificial manner reduces it. It is stated this is a permanent change. Yet, we have an event which can trigger ECEI +1 on generous resupply before mission start. My interpretation is that only such resupply - a very rare one - can get the extra +1 opportunity, but unless the ship docks, the crew gets replacements, the lost ECEI (in sacrifice) can't be improved via Improved Cohesion event like mission solid success, training excellence, or similar.

- On page 17, if we form a Detachment since we pick top guns, the remaining crew may suffer. In the check modifiers, I see: if an "A" team detachment was formed +2 DM. I assume this is -2 DM, since removing the top-guns from the crew woud decrease the overall efficiency. Basically, lower result, bigger hit to ECEI.

- On page 17, the example has wrong numbers, but the correct end result. The total penalty to the final roll is -5, not -3.

I assume Morale is more of a free-form indicator to use. There is a possible hit to ECEI on rapid Morale drop, but no further specific rules to apply on certain change; just tips for the Reff.

Anyway, for me it's a good book. Abstract enough, fit enough, detailed enough. It introduces interesting mechanics, which can be used if needed, similar to the Encounters section in the Corebook.
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Re: Naval Campaign Book questions

Postby M J Dougherty » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:16 am

The overall concept is that CEI changes little unless there is some big event like a sacrifice to get out of a major situation or heavy casualties. It represents the overall competence and cohesion of the crew.

ECEI is essentially CEI modified by whatever is affecting it at the time.
arcador
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Naval Campaign Book questions

Postby arcador » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks for the response!