Aim for the kill?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Rerednaw
Stoat

Aim for the kill?

Postby Rerednaw » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:09 pm

Okay I could have sworn this was a combat maneuver in Mongoose Traveller (1 or 2?). I have both rulebooks and I must have been imagining things because now I cannot find a trace. Which book/page is this on?

Thanks!
arcador
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Aim for the kill?

Postby arcador » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Mercenary supplement for 1st ed.
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Sounds familiar... I wanna say Mercenary, but I couldn’t find it in the 2nd edition book... I’ll see if I can find the first book later tonight, could be there!

Edit: beaten by arcador while typing :)
Saladman
Stoat

Postby Saladman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:10 am

For those who don't have it, it's basically Aim but a +2 to damage instead of the +1 to hit. Which is less unbalanced than I expected it would be, I should actually add that.
I also like the implementation of Suppression Fire from the same chapter, I may add that as well.
arcador
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby arcador » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:36 am

While not exactly the same, I think the suppression fire rule is redundant.

The reaction mechanism in the core book already covers a similar penalty. Each reaction inflicts -1 DM. Someone auto-firing at their target will most likely inflict sufficient -DM to make their target fail their round. i.e. Auto 4 = -4 DM, considering the target reacts. The 2nd edition also added the "dive for cover" which grants the cover DM, and the armor of the cover (if Ref allows).

In effect, both resolutions result in the target being suppressed. It somewhat matches this wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressive_fire, but (thankfully) I have been in real-life firefights, thus I have no idea how accurate is that.