Referee's Briefing

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Referee's Briefing

Postby M J Dougherty » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:53 pm

I'm looking to restart this series. Are there any topics you feel should be covered?
Tay
Stoat

Re: Referee's Briefing

Postby Tay » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Ancients and their Tech?
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Not sure what your scope is? But I would like a supplement on space monsters. There's references to them existing but very few are detailed.

edit: Just to clarify. Vacuum entities of ship size, not counting rogue AI ships. There's also robotmen in the MWM "decider" novel.
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:36 pm

I think we can do more or less anything. I'm covering some space entities in Deepnight Revelation.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:50 pm

M J Dougherty wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:36 pm
I think we can do more or less anything. I'm covering some space entities in Deepnight Revelation.
How to assassinate the emperor and take over in 10 easy steps for the complete newb?
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:34 pm

M J Dougherty wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:36 pm
I might have to buy that then. As long it's not just space cthuhlu, I pretty much buy anything with space monsters in.

Another interesting one for me would be "imperial redacted". All the really weird stuff that the IISS and the government doesnt talk about.

I feel both these are very well linked with Traveller. For example I have said before I wanted a high tech city sourcebook as i dont even know if they still have roads but we ended up using starwars. But the 2 above, because of the background link and the unique nature of Traveller space ships, are harder to transfer from generic materials.
NOLATrav
Banded Mongoose

Postby NOLATrav » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:33 pm

+1 for imperial redacted, great idea.

I’d love to see a simple metagame for factions, corps, Noble houses, etc. Like 1e Dynasty, but only 6 stats, events, etc as if they were player characters. Couple dozen pages max. I have some pretty good house rules going but I’d love to see your take on something like that.

Thank you for reaching out to the community, appreciate you!
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:45 pm

Whatever is done, I’d prefer to see it a little more detailed, including personalities, so the information presented can a be more “plug and play”. The existing briefings have great ideas, but still require a lot of prep.

So instad of a lot of ideas at a high level, fewer ideas but more detailed.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:05 am

How about a referee’s briefing on high government and law level worlds? Dictatorships of each type and how that plays out in the Traveller universe. How a high law level typically goes hand in hand with a high government level and what it means when there’s a discrepancy between the two (e.g., government level B but a law level of only 7).
My published Traveller adventures on DriveThruRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... %20Griffen
Yatima
Mongoose

Postby Yatima » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:34 pm

Belters - society in the belts, prospecting, mining cities among the flying mountains. Drifting in a tiny ship alone, just days ahead of the competition, looking for that lucky claim.

J
"I hunker in the corner facing the door. Anyone that opens the door gets a full clip."
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:24 am

Some good ideas here...

I like the idea of briefing books focusing on aspects of life in the Traveller universe:

- belter life
- high society on different worlds
- drifter life
- subcultures (are there space Romany, for example?)
- criminal families / groups/ organizations (you could probably do one just on pirates - oh wait, Drinax)
- Imperial agencies / organizations (customs, law enforcement, diplomacy, etc.) that Travellers may encounter
- archeological sites / discoveries (not just Ancients)
- myths and legends (the sort of thing that can make great adventure seeds)

Actually a couple of follow-ups to already published briefings might be considered. We could always use more corporations, anomalies, starports, etc.
Varulv
Stoat

Postby Varulv » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:33 pm

Xeno-Biology. How biological needs can be met by other means than carbon-based chemistry, consuming oxygen and water (i.e. terrestrial). Animal level of course but intelligence spices would be great, known or unknown within the Imperium.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:55 pm

Might be a good idea to post a previous entry so people get an idea of what it is/was.

Then you could take both comments as well as perhaps peek at some of the threads here (and elsewhere, like the FB groups, or other sites) to get an idea of what's popular/hot. If you are doing it for free I suggest you do what interests you... :)
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:23 pm

If you are doing it for free
I don’t think that’s how this works. . .
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:01 am

A couple more ideas:
- a briefing on TAS and similar organizations, including examples of typical TAS hostels.
- interstellar tournaments and competitions
- remarkable festivals and celebrations
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:57 pm

Belting’s a great idea!

Also, how about Vacc suits, spacewalks and zero-G ops?

Vacc suit evolution throughout the TLs, various systems and subsystems (water and food dispensers?), helmet options (soft bubble, hard dome, armoured, plus options like fold-away, detachable faceplate), how suiting-up changes with TL, options like detachable gloves and other things that make it easier to work without having to remove the entire suit (probably more useful with advanced suits, that are more comfortable to wear)...

Zero-G considerations like tethering, maneuvering and moving around in space... stuff like that...
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:03 pm

I’d also be interested in something along the lines of “the everyday life of spaceship crews”. Like what are the various duties and responsibilities of the different crew positions, and how that changes depending on if the ship is in jumpspace, on its way to/from a planet, landed/docked at spaceport...

Perhaps expand it to cover passengers too (would mostly fall under steward duties).

Might be warranted to dedicate a page or two to interior decorating, like what could one reasonably expect to find in the common room or within a stateroom (tech and features).
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:26 pm

There are some good ideas here. I'm pondering them all.
bklokis
Stoat

Postby bklokis » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:04 pm

Entertainment: OTU's most talked-about Holovid personalities, Space-Rock Stars, Celebrities, etc.
Drugs & Substances: An expansion on the basic poisons, drugs, and other exotic intoxicants.
OTU Sports: Popular physical activities, games, hobbies & competitions throughout the OTU.
Famous & Vernacular Architecture: Style and flavor of common local structures, typical buildings/materials/techniques for various planet types, as well as famous Starchitect projects.
"Every RPG character worth his salt has daddy issues" - Ambrosius Quayle
heron61
Mongoose

Postby heron61 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:11 am

I love the idea of one on the TAS and similar organizations, and I also would love to see one on what life is like on high tech (TL 14-16) worlds, and one on archeology (both for Ancient sites and other).