Hello, is that my air/raft?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Hello, is that my air/raft?

Postby Moppy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:02 pm

Actually multi-seat submarines. But first ones I've seen that don't look ass.

https://www.uboatworx.com/model/hiper-sub-2

edit: I didn't know the dolphin ones had 2 seats now. They're OK I guess.
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Hello, is that my air/raft?

Postby Linwood » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:03 am

Having trouble picturing looping one of these at 6 knots. Sooooo sloooowwww...
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:48 am

That looks amazing, I want one!!

Hm, can Traveller grav vehicles travel underwater..? Assuming they’re adequately water-proofed of course, which I’d assume at least multi-environment vehicles are. I know spacecraft can, at least from TL13 and onwards.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:29 am

Annatar Giftbringer wrote: Hm, can Traveller grav vehicles travel underwater..? Assuming they’re adequately water-proofed of course, which I’d assume at least multi-environment vehicles are.
Why not? I don't see anything that would make grav drives incompatible with underwater use.

I wouldn't assume grav vehicles are generally built to withstand high pressure, but if your particular vehicle is there shouldn't be a problem.

Anything built to handle extreme atmospheres like Venus shouldn't have any problem with a little water?
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:40 am

Kinda what I was thinking too. Perhaps not a deep trench explorer, but a few meters down - especially those that are sealed or protected from various nasty environments.

Like a scout diving down under the surface to get a better look at the partially submerged ruins of an ancient settlement. With a sealed scout-issue air/raft I’m thinking it should be no problem, with g/bike... eh, their field dress is vacc-proof :)
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:47 pm

Decent model should work.

A cheap locally produced vehicle for the home market might not have multi-environment capability. Salt water is a real problem for electronics and rust in ways that water is not.
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:41 am

Something designed for vacuum doesn’t necessarily work as well in an overpressure environment. But I could see where vacc suits (and maybe IISS field dress) might be rated for 2 atmospheres or so. (I’ll let someone else calculate how much that equates to in water depth). Maybe raise the cost of the suit 10% or so for that option?

Emergency vacuum suits and rescue balls would be unlikely to handle very well. One atmosphere in equivalent depth at most.

Our current astronauts often train underwater. Does anyone know if they use their vacc suits or something else?
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:29 am

Approx 10 meters (30 feet) of water depth per atmosphere of pressure.

But as Linwood mentions the pressure is in the wrong direction.

For a standard civilian grav, problems would be the hull strength, and things like seals, and water ingress. They can surely resist 1 atmosphere of pressure in the wrong direction or they would break during fast atmospheric flight.

No idea how water ingress works except that the front and top are obviously protected except when they aren't. A car can drive through rain but a hose pipe in the front of the engine can cause problems.
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:41 am

Usually it’s the seals around access points (doors), pass-thrus (for wiring, fluids, etc) and joins between panels/parts/modules that are of greatest risk. The firewall in a car has at least a half-dozen of these points, none of which are pressure-tight. Electrical connectors designed to meet IP-67 (a high standard in the automotive world for resisting moisture ingression) are only tested to 1 meter depth.

Given the variety of environments a Traveller spacecraft encounters I would expect the standards for it to be higher. But something close to IP-67 might be common for civilian in-atmosphere vehicles.
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:28 am

So basically we might be looking at “yes it should be possible, but perhaps only once, and the vehicle might break down afterwards” ?

With better chance the more protection option the vehicle has, of course.