Deepnight Revelation

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
steelbrok
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:13 pm

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby steelbrok » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Old School wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 am
Someone on the Mongoose Facebook discussion group mentioned that their campaign was set in the 3I, but they used Savage Worlds Science Fiction rules.
I used Savage Worlds (and Sci Fi companion) for my last game set in 3I and it worked well. I've ben looking at running another game and it might be simpler to use MGT rules but the big plus for Savage Worlds is how easy it is to have lots of extras/mooks/red shirts on the table. I've been meaning to ask if anyone has a quick way of dealing with npcs in MGT
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 817
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:41 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby Old School » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:12 pm

steelbrok wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:51 pm
Old School wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 am
Someone on the Mongoose Facebook discussion group mentioned that their campaign was set in the 3I, but they used Savage Worlds Science Fiction rules.
I used Savage Worlds (and Sci Fi companion) for my last game set in 3I and it worked well. I've ben looking at running another game and it might be simpler to use MGT rules but the big plus for Savage Worlds is how easy it is to have lots of extras/mooks/red shirts on the table. I've been meaning to ask if anyone has a quick way of dealing with npcs in MGT
Other than having them be relatively lightly armored compared to the Traveller's firepower, not really. One simplification is to assign them hit points, similar to animals, rather than add up Str/Dex/End, just to keep the tracking simpler.
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:12 am
Contact:

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby M J Dougherty » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:32 am

I've just seen the Deepnight Revelation announcement stuff and the nice words about my professionalism and reliability. Those will be resumed once the manflu has finished kicking my sorry ass.

In the meantime you'll find me huddled in the corner turning self-pity into performance art.
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 581
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:41 am

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby Linwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:26 am

Old School wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:12 pm
steelbrok wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:51 pm
Old School wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 am
Someone on the Mongoose Facebook discussion group mentioned that their campaign was set in the 3I, but they used Savage Worlds Science Fiction rules.
I used Savage Worlds (and Sci Fi companion) for my last game set in 3I and it worked well. I've ben looking at running another game and it might be simpler to use MGT rules but the big plus for Savage Worlds is how easy it is to have lots of extras/mooks/red shirts on the table. I've been meaning to ask if anyone has a quick way of dealing with npcs in MGT
Other than having them be relatively lightly armored compared to the Traveller's firepower, not really. One simplification is to assign them hit points, similar to animals, rather than add up Str/Dex/End, just to keep the tracking simpler.
I usually hand-wave things by abstracting mass combat, which has worked well so far.

I like Old School’s hit point idea, but I think I’d go with an End rating as well. That first-hit knockout can drop NPCs really quickly.

Another thought - you could assume the minion NPCs always roll average (this works for damage as well). If a group of NPCs is working together, add +1 to the average for every NPC beyond the first (or +1 for every two or three or whatever, depending on the task) to represent the greater chance of success. This can speed the scene up a lot. If there a lot of NPCs, you can split them into several smaller groups. The drawback is you lose some of the drama from an NPC making an absurdly high or low roll, but it will help mass combat flow faster, limiting the “grind it out” boredom.

An alternative is to assume NPCs always roll in an “average” range, say 5-10. This covers 75% of the possible outcomes from a 2D roll, but now you only need to roll 1D (+4) for each NPC. Makes rolling for a bunch of mooks faster and simpler.

You could use the probabilities associated with a 2D range. If it will take a 12 on 2D to hit a given player, on average only 1 NPC out of 36 will manage that. I’m not fond of that method - it’s a bit too mechanical - but it’s statistically sound.
NOLATrav
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby NOLATrav » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:17 pm

I like the 1D+4 idea, might have to give that a try.
Welf
Shrew
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:20 am
Location: Germany

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby Welf » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Drinaxian Companion, please release before I try out Traveller with my group and have them decide between FFG Star Wars and Traveller Pirates of Drinax :(
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 817
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:41 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby Old School » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:14 pm

Welf wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:15 pm
Drinaxian Companion, please release before I try out Traveller with my group and have them decide between FFG Star Wars and Traveller Pirates of Drinax :(
Isn't the Drinixian Companion just a consolidation of the ten mini patron adventures already published? Is there any new material?
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:12 am
Contact:

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby M J Dougherty » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:48 pm

Umm... I created this thread to provide updates on the Deepnight Revelation project.

I keep getting notifications and logging in to answer questions only to find a totally different discussion.

Can I suggest spinoff discussions should maybe have their own thread?

That way I can provide answers when folks want them without unnecessary distractions from the misery of manflu.
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 817
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:41 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby Old School » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:26 am

Oh no, an internet forum post that diverged from the original topic!

I feel like I should apologize, but then that apology post will also create an unnecessary notification and distraction, so maybe I shouldn’t.

Oh, wait a second. . .
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:12 am
Contact:

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby M J Dougherty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:02 am

I'm expecting to finish Terminus Point over the weekend - been delayed by an outbreak of what you'd think was the Black Death. My intent is to have all four books of the kickstarter pack compelte before it begins, and maybe the extras like mission cards and whatnot all tied up too. It will be fun to see if I can keep up with the stretch goals as they are unlocked, essentially completing the project in real time.

I strongly suspect that's completely impossible, but you never know....
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14804
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby msprange » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:11 am

Old School wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:14 pm

Isn't the Drinixian Companion just a consolidation of the ten mini patron adventures already published? Is there any new material?
It started off that way, then we decided to add a few other bits and pieces... and then a lot got added...

(Sorry Martin!)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:12 am
Contact:

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby M J Dougherty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:59 pm

(derailing my own thread in the manner I just decried)...

Are you sorry for the post or for the truly extravagant mission creep that led to what was supposed to be a few nice little extras becoming the all-encompassing tome that we eventually produced?

It is very good. I would know, trust me on that. As sometimes (often) happens we created things we didn't know we needed until they existed, and now can't imagine why they didn't exist before.
EwanS
Weasel
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby EwanS » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Is there going to be in one of the books a way to crew the ship similar to the Creating Travellers and Crewing the Ship sections in the Naval Campaign Sourcebook which was in the Element Class Cruisers boxset. If there was would it include scouts, marines, scientists, diplomats,etc. Thanks
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:12 am
Contact:

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby M J Dougherty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:50 pm

There is a crewing section similar to the Naval Campaigns one, that allows a complete mission crew to be created.
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 817
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:41 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby Old School » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:56 pm

While I consider objecting to the inevitable ebb and flow of a open forum discussion to be pissing in the wind, I do hope you are feeling better, MJD.
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:12 am
Contact:

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby M J Dougherty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:00 pm

It's not a detailed Traveller creation system though, it's to create crewmembers rather than players.
arcador
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:34 pm

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby arcador » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:30 pm

the DR pack won't require the Deep Rift correct? I assume there will be a little bit redundancy.
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14804
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby msprange » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:33 pm

arcador wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:30 pm
the DR pack won't require the Deep Rift correct? I assume there will be a little bit redundancy.
No. Everything you need for the full campaign is in the box. Both the Element Cruisers and Great Rift sets can be of help/relevance, but neither are required.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Welf
Shrew
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:20 am
Location: Germany

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby Welf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:31 pm

M J Dougherty wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:48 pm
Umm... I created this thread to provide updates on the Deepnight Revelation project.

I keep getting notifications and logging in to answer questions only to find a totally different discussion.

Can I suggest spinoff discussions should maybe have their own thread?

That way I can provide answers when folks want them without unnecessary distractions from the misery of manflu.
Sorry for the derailing. I hope you are well again or are getting better :)

Can you tell anything about mechanics or interesting parts (other than inspiration of course) that might be interesting for other campaigns? Drinax has its Aslan information. Does Deepnight Revelation offer similar things? :)
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:12 am
Contact:

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby M J Dougherty » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:54 pm

As we speak, all the four core books are complete and I'm working on the first expansion book. I'll be doing a video probably tomorrow, but in the meantime one interesting thing has appeared. I can't respond on the kickstarter commensts section but some folks have mentioned things that are dealt with in the first expansion. Notably the decision not to premit children to be born on such a long and dangerous mission.... and how that can go wrong. No, not a Wesley Crusher character. Also the inclusion of people who are not comitted volunteers, but signed up for other reasons. Threse two matters might well be related.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests