Deepnight Revelation

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Deepnight Revelation

Postby Moppy » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:40 am

M J Dougherty wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:11 am
Intereresting to see other poeple suggesting some of the things we implemented.
I'm not really sure if there have been many innovations in RPGs in recent games. The recent ones I can think of are collaborative games where the GM is more of a guide than a dictator, and the integration with digitial (edit: And using funny dice which is all the craze now).

Going back in time I remember when Storyteller/White Wolf arrived and that shook up the RPG scene with their emphasis on building a system that flowed smoothly at the cost of mechanical detail, and when we went level-less and class-less with games like Runequest. This list is of course in no way correct or complete nor do I intend it to be. Just things I noticed over time.

What I find amazing is that RPGs could have been invented in ancient times (papyrus sheets and bone dice) but no-one thought of it until the 1970s. Sometimes I wonder if there's something truly amazing, and simple, but no-one had the idea yet.
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:59 pm

Mainly I'm just going with the 'not barking up the wrong tree then' concept.

But yes, there's not much true innovation. I remember the lectures from White Wolf fans about storytelling in games, like they'd invented it or something. It was more than they made a big deal about building their game around that one aspect. I always enjoyed being 'corrected' when I said 'referee' for a game and a White Wolf fan overheard. Grr.
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:25 pm

These days you wouldn't get away with "game". It's "collaborative storytelling experience".
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:58 pm

Moppy wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:25 pm
These days you wouldn't get away with "game". It's "collaborative storytelling experience".
Hey, whatever sells the books and brings in new players!
My published Traveller adventures on DriveThruRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... %20Griffen
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:00 pm

I've just reached the halfway point of the last book. Working out the details always leads to some unexpected places but this time... yikes.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:13 pm

And we have just posted a teaser video for the campaign...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JisIF8HUOw8
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:59 pm

Does "further than any Traveller has gone before" include Grandpa's pocket universe?
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:01 pm

Can neither confirm nor deny.

Mainly since I'm not sure how to measure the distance to a pocket universe.....
Baldo
Mongoose

Postby Baldo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:23 pm

M J Dougherty wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:00 pm
Working out the details always leads to some unexpected places but this time... yikes.
If the Travellers succeed and guinea pigs everywhere are saved, Deepnight Revelation returns home to find... What? The Empress Wave/Rebellion/Virus mess :roll: ? The Lorenverse? Or something Mongoose-Publishing-specific?
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Baldo wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:23 pm
If the Travellers succeed and guinea pigs everywhere are saved, Deepnight Revelation returns home to find... What? The Empress Wave/Rebellion/Virus mess :roll: ? The Lorenverse? Or something Mongoose-Publishing-specific?
Well, the Fifth Frontier War will have been and gone (the next major project for Traveller). The Empress Wave is also a Thing, and will be covered. Beyond that, things have been discussed but the FFW will be tying up setting development for a little while yet.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:29 pm

Always wondered why these "deep range" expeditions even return?

10 year mission needs people who are very much suvivialists and don't have anyone waiting for them at home. Give a survivalist a chance of a new start away from central government and they ain't coming back after the mission is done.

I wonder how many campaigns will end that way, with the "murderhobo republic" being founded in some far place.
ochd
Mongoose

Postby ochd » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:38 pm

What's the Empress Wave?
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:40 pm

Moppy wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:29 pm
I wonder how many campaigns will end that way, with the "murderhobo republic" being founded in some far place.
Heck, you don’t even have to go that far to do that. We just call our murderhobo republic the “Kingdom of Drinax”.
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:06 pm

ochd wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:38 pm
What's the Empress Wave?
FTL pisonic wave causing madness and worse. It's coming and will be an "end of the imperium" kind of thing. Blame grandfather as usual.

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Empress_Wave
GamingGlen
Mongoose

Postby GamingGlen » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:27 pm

Moppy wrote:
Always wondered why these "deep range" expeditions even return?

10 year mission needs people who are very much suvivialists and don't have anyone waiting for them at home. Give a survivalist a chance of a new start away from central government and they ain't coming back after the mission is done.
Doesn't have to be loners with no one at home. Early explorers have done this before (maybe to get away from their wives and other family obligations :D). Some stayed.
Glen
GamingGlen
Mongoose

Postby GamingGlen » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:29 pm

Moppy wrote:
Or worse, coming home to find some Sith cult leader taking control of the Empire. :twisted:
Glen
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:59 am

Moppy wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:40 am
I'm not really sure if there have been many innovations in RPGs in recent games. The recent ones I can think of are collaborative games where the GM is more of a guide than a dictator, and the integration with digitial (edit: And using funny dice which is all the craze now).
I assume you're referring to systems like FATE and Powered by the Apocalypse. My RPG group is currently in full rebellion from mechanics-heavy systems and experimenting with the more RP-oriented, ref/player-shared narrative games. This weekend we're running a game in the Hostile setting using PbtA mechanics. Have you tried any of these out? Traveller has such rich source material. It's occurred to me that one could run a Traveller game with one of these systems with great results provided that the ref and players have a decent working knowledge of the setting.
My published Traveller adventures on DriveThruRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... %20Griffen
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:05 am

paltrysum wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:59 am
I assume you're referring to systems like FATE and Powered by the Apocalypse. My RPG group is currently in full rebellion from mechanics-heavy systems and experimenting with the more RP-oriented, ref/player-shared narrative games. This weekend we're running a game in the Hostile setting using PbtA mechanics. Have you tried any of these out? Traveller has such rich source material. It's occurred to me that one could run a Traveller game with one of these systems with great results provided that the ref and players have a decent working knowledge of the setting.
I've played Monster Hearts which uses PTBA engine. Ars Magica has a troupe based system with multiple chars per PC and the option to rotate GM. However it's got some crunch to it, but not as much as Pathfinder or even D&D 5.
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 am

Someone on the Mongoose Facebook discussion group mentioned that their campaign was set in the 3I, but they used Savage Worlds Science Fiction rules.
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:07 am

Thought about a conversion to the Ubiquity rules, which is similar in some respects to Savage Worlds. Starship and naval combat rules were a problem - haven’t come up with a hybrid I like so far.