Elite: Dangerous

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
M J Dougherty
Mongoose
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:12 am
Contact:

Elite: Dangerous

Postby M J Dougherty » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:45 pm

So.... Mongoose Publishing made me play Elite: Dangerous on PS4. A lot.

Still playing.

So far I've tended to be antisocial and do solo stuff, but if anyone out there feels like teaming up, shoot me a message.
arcador
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:34 pm

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Postby arcador » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:50 am

Got a friend who played a lot, but at some point, he arrived at the meta, which quickly became too predictable to him. Then he stopped.

I assume you play it for reasons related to a future project of which you can't reveal much?
MonkeyX
Mongoose
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:52 am

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Postby MonkeyX » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:25 am

Just got back from Sagittarius A for a 20 odd day mission that ended up taking 8 months!!
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 843
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Postby Moppy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:12 am

arcador wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:50 am
Got a friend who played a lot, but at some point, he arrived at the meta, which quickly became too predictable to him. Then he stopped.
PVP has a fixed (patch-based) meta in that game? Doesn't it just depend on what your opponent is setup with? Not to the extent that EVE Online does, but there's certainly no unbeatable setup. My experience is with PC tho. Is the PS/4 game different?
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14757
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Postby msprange » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:40 am

arcador wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:50 am
I assume you play it for reasons related to a future project of which you can't reveal much?
I told Martin to play it because it is the closest thing to Traveller in video games (at the moment).

Always recommend joining the Fuel Rats. Most fun you can have in this game :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
arcador
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:34 pm

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Postby arcador » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:09 pm

By meta, I didn't mean PVP.

Basically, at one point of the game, the player realizes there is one thing with the highest speed to gain money. All other things have a slower speed. Similarly, to let's say - Diablo where the highest chance for drop/time is doing certain runs, repeatedly.

Of course, this usually doesn't affect the gameplay, unless the player wants to go "pro".

Keep in mind this news is ~2 years old. Might not be true anymore.
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 843
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Postby Moppy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:59 pm

arcador wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:09 pm
By meta, I didn't mean PVP.

Basically, at one point of the game, the player realizes there is one thing with the highest speed to gain money. All other things have a slower speed. Similarly, to let's say - Diablo where the highest chance for drop/time is doing certain runs, repeatedly.
Agreed, pve is "solved".

However I wouldn't really use "meta" to describe PVE. Meta generally means things outside of the game mechanics i.e. human v human factors.

However I can also see a universe in which that overlaps with PVE.
PFarrell
Cub
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:06 am

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Postby PFarrell » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:49 am

msprange wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:40 am
arcador wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:50 am
I assume you play it for reasons related to a future project of which you can't reveal much?
I told Martin to play it because it is the closest thing to Traveller in video games (at the moment).

Always recommend joining the Fuel Rats. Most fun you can have in this game :)
The closest game I’ve seen to Traveller is Star Traders: Frontiers, although it’s totally different to Elite
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4252
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Postby AndrewW » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:29 pm

PFarrell wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:49 am
The closest game I’ve seen to Traveller is Star Traders: Frontiers, although it’s totally different to Elite
There has also been:

Trader (put out by GDW)

Megatraveller 1: The Zhodani Conspiracy
Megatraveller 2: Quest for the Ancients

Wing Commander Privateer
Bifford
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:55 pm
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Postby Bifford » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:56 pm

I don't think this is a Traveller forum post, but never mind.

I play. Cmdr Bifford.

I don't get much chance to play. I do watch Twitch stream on E:D.

Also there are two RPGs out there:

Elite Encounters RPG (the only one with official lore in. I plat-tested and proofread this);

Elite Dangerous RPG (EDRPG) (lovely art due to a massive budget and multiple books for the same reason)
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:35 am
Location: Uddevalla, Sweden

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:05 pm

I’ve only tried Elite: Dangerous once, at a friend’s house. With VR goggles, stick and throttle. That was quite an experience :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests