Paper Currency for Traveller

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
PsiTraveller
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Paper Currency for Traveller

Postby PsiTraveller » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:00 pm

Does anyone know where I can get/make paper currency for a Traveller game? I want to do the briefcase full of currency scene. All the rustling bits of paper to influence a bribe or set up a Merchant Deal.

Has anyone else done this?
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Re: Paper Currency for Traveller

Postby Condottiere » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Ingame or prop?
Pyromancer
Banded Mongoose

Postby Pyromancer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:15 pm

Die official Traveller currency is made out of plastic, not paper, but I have seen designs to print out somewhere on the web.
bklokis
Weasel

Postby bklokis » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:02 pm

"Every RPG character worth his salt has daddy issues" - Ambrosius Quayle
PsiTraveller
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PsiTraveller » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:27 pm

I am looking for a double sided credit note. The 20 credit note from that link is a good example. I was hoping to find a 1000 credit or 10 000 credit sample. Just to print up a few million in cash.

Which is probably overkill for a scene, but I printed up a Sector map that comes in 4 poster size pieces and covers the entire table. The group could map out their route across the sector, and plan operations. We all geek out in different ways.
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:42 am

I was actually thinking about making such a thing myself. I did make some a few years ago but they weren't very nice. I stalled on the project to do it right for several reasons.
1. Getting art that doesn't look cartoonish requires money to pay good artists, even if I do the graphic design part of the job. (I was going to knock off the general design of the Euro. US currency is comparatively bland.)
2. The canon currency is kind of silly in terms of size. Accessibility argues for each denomination to feel different, and size is an obvious way to vary the size.
3. I wanted to include serial numbers that are also shown in barcodes.

I've also been doing some research on coins. The coolest would be to order custom plastic tokens, but the minimum order is 1000 units, at 18 cents each, or $180. Given that there are four denominations of coins (quarter, half, one, and five Credit), that's $720. I'd have to sell a lot of them to share the cost.

Another coin option is to make dies (or have them made) and "strike" them myself from Sculpey, and hope they bake nicely. That might be cool, but it's a lot of work.

Yet another option is print on demand board game pieces. The price there is pretty good -- $6 for a single sheet, and less per sheet if I print more. The problem is that the size selection is limited: 12.7 mm (smaller than a dime), 19 mm (US penny size), 25.4 mm (similar to a US quarter), 38 mm (similar to the huge Eisenhower dollar), and 51 mm (bigger than any coin I've heard of). I could special order other sizes (I specifically asked about 22 mm and 32 mm), but those require a $60 die setup fee. Affordable if lots of people want them, but not just for myself unless I settle for the standard sizes. Finally, they're cardboard, not plastic like Credits are supposed to be.

Anyone interested in coins or notes?