Has anyone read Encyclopaedia Dagudashaag?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Has anyone read Encyclopaedia Dagudashaag?

Postby Moppy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Condottiere wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:18 pm
An interesting jest would be to use your hometown, and wait until the players finally work it out.
A friend is the sort of gm who would put the brothel where one of the players female relatives live. And we're the sort of group that would find it amusing.
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Has anyone read Encyclopaedia Dagudashaag?

Postby steve98052 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:44 pm

Moppy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:43 pm
. . . But if each world is 8 digits, a name and a map-cordinate, then given half a day you could write some computer program to generate them until the machine melted. Given a bit longer it wouldn't look so random either; high tech clusters etc. Detailing all the worlds beyond this is hard work.
. . .
I use a program called Fractal Terrains to generate worlds, but that only covers geography and climate. It would be interesting to see a Fractal Cities book though.

If I needed more detail about a city, I might just take a real city that has been detailed out on Google Maps, and substitute things like "Eneri's Ground Car Repair" for the regular auto repair shop, change the largest car dealership into an air/raft dealer, and leave it mostly the same. Remember that even where grav vehicles are available they're still expensive. Most people will travel by surface, or by renting a self-piloting air/raft for travel where flight is necessary.

For the kinds of businesses that adventurers frequent, you could use a fantasy city supplement and change the businesses to match the technology level. Instead of a wizard supply store, you find a computer repair shop. Instead of a holy healer, you find an urgent care clinic. And so forth.

Another thing to observe is that a lot of things stay the same through technological changes. I read that the average commute today is pretty much unchanged since the Roman Empire: about 25 minutes whether it's by walking, riding a horse or horse drawn bus, riding subway or bus, driving, etc.

Note that even if grav vehicles are pervasive and inexpensive, people will still walk some of the time, around shopping centers, around their offices, etc. A city with pervasive grav transportation might replace vehicle streets with pedestrian streets, but streets wouldn't go away.

- - - - -

Finally, thanks for the pointer to the sector book. At the price, I'll get it as soon as I get back to my desktop.