How to stop luck ruining the game

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

How to stop luck ruining the game

Postby JMISBEST » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:33 am

I've been notorious among many groups over the years for being lucky enough when rolling A 2D6 to roll A 12 roughly 23.6% of the time, A 1- or 22 roughly 56.5% of the time and A 6 to 9 roughly 94.4% of the time and doing so even when a low roll would have been better. So how do I prevent my unnatural level of luck on 2D6 rolls making A Noble Pc or Pcs Portfolios high enough in value for them to in theory make a campaign a peace of cake
Old School
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: How to stop luck ruining the game

Postby Old School » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:38 am

Okay, can we ban him now?
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby JMISBEST » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:42 am

Old School wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:38 am
I'm serious. My famed and notorious luck with 2D6 rolls has ruined many Traveller Campaigns over many years by getting The Pcs rich enough to be able to buy enough to kill any foe I could reasonably send after them by the use of extreme firepower then have enough to bribe any court with all the jury members and the judge where all Earl or higher Rank Nobility
CaladanGuard
Weasel

Postby CaladanGuard » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:27 am

JMISBEST wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:42 am
Old School wrote:
I'm serious. My famed and notorious luck with 2D6 rolls has ruined many Traveller Campaigns over many years by getting The Pcs rich enough to be able to buy enough to kill any foe I could reasonably send after them by the use of extreme firepower then have enough to bribe any court with all the jury members and the judge where all Earl or higher Rank Nobility
No. It hasn't.
MonkeyX
Mongoose

Postby MonkeyX » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:35 am

23.6% of the time!!!! Ha
Varulv
Stoat

Postby Varulv » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:31 am

You could stop using your loaded dice that You have mentioned in several threads. :roll:
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:23 am

Old School wrote:
I would disapprove of this use of censorship.

If it's really pushing againt the limits of your personal tolerance, there is a block feature in the forum software.
CaladanGuard
Weasel

Postby CaladanGuard » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:39 am

Moppy wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:23 am
Old School wrote:

If it's really pushing againt the limits of your personal tolerance, there is a block feature in the forum software.
I mean, it's not censorship. This is a private companies forum, to discuss their games. They can do whatever they want. Only Americans with Freedom Boners give two giant craps about everyone getting to have their say no matter how useless a person they are.

I don't think we should ban him either. He should just go away.

None of these things have ever happened. None of these games ever happened. And even the mild amusement of just reading the stuff has worn off on me.

So think what you will.
M J Dougherty
Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:09 am

The results mentioned could not occur without loaded dice or a habit of finding reasons why that roll did not count until you get one you like.

I've seen the latter a few times before. It can become habit to the point of not realising you're doing it. So can outright cheating.

If it's not one of those then it's invention.

Might I also mention that unless you keep an Arnold Rimmer style diary of your dice results, you could not know these percentages.

So I suggest that this latest is, like the little brother hijack and certain other stories, no more than invention.

As I have stated before, you are abusing the goodwill of the community and clogging up the board with endless 'do my work for me' requests and impossible-to-answer questions.
PsiTraveller
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PsiTraveller » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Stop rolling up Dilletante characters or Nobles with portfolios. Yes they are in the rules, but most games make no sense if it is simpler and easier for a person to collect a million credits a year from interest.

This simple step will prevent the cascade failure of your games due to compound interest. It will remove the ever growing list of ships in your fleet.

Several people have pointed out time after time that your games leave the rules far behind them.

You create armies with populations bigger than the planetary populations. Navies that would make the Imperium send in a punitive fleet to destroy them. People keep telling you this and you ignore everything they say and ask for more help in designing a game based more on anime than the OTU. If you want to use traveller to run an anime universe, go for it and good luck! But stop asking if it makes sense within the rules. The answer for most of the time will be "if you as a GM want it to, go for it."
Old School
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Moppy wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:23 am
Old School wrote:

The block feature would work if he didn’t constantly start new threads. He is abusing the goodwill of well intentioned members of this forum, and deliberately detracts from community.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Old School wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 pm
The block feature would work if he didn’t constantly start new threads. He is abusing the goodwill of well intentioned members of this forum, and deliberately detracts from community.
You can click on their name and select Add foe.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:22 pm

AndrewW wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:49 pm
You can click on their name and select Add foe.
You can, and it does slightly alleviate the problem, but the occasional flood of five or six nonsense topics muddles the top of the board and kind of derails more interesting and meaningful conversations. Sure, you can scroll past them, but the clutter throws things off a bit. Is it worth censoring him? Maybe not, but I wouldn't be too heartbroken if it happened.
My published Traveller adventures on DriveThruRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... %20Griffen