Traveller EDC (Every Day Carry)

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Traveller EDC (Every Day Carry)

Postby Linwood » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:43 am

Looking for thoughts on the kind of things Travellers - or members of Traveller professions - would typically carry with them wherever they go. Mostly to add color (“you search the unconscious mugger and find <?>”) but also for brainstorming. Could also be useful for defining a type of NPC.

Top of the list is likely a mobile comm of some type. I expect an app that converts local time to an interstellar standard time would be almost ubiquitous. Maybe an app that handles handshakes and such for connection to the local data networks (or a “universal” starport network link?). But there are likely others.

Hard to picture a mechanic without a pocket multitool. A starship engineer might feel lost without something that talks to the ship. An explorer or colonist might never leave home without a compass / inertial locator.

Thoughts?
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Traveller EDC (Every Day Carry)

Postby Moppy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:49 am

I assume this only applies to starports? Otherwise need to look at local law levels. Good luck getting a pocket multi-tool on a commercial airplane in 2019. Traveller ships are probably more permissive like today's ships, as you will have all your luggage in your cabin for your week-long jump, and you need to access your personal or work stuff during that time. However, the short haul earth-moon shuttle may not be so permissive.
Last edited by Moppy on Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:51 am

Solomani Army Knife.
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:46 pm

Laser pistol hidden in cybernetic arm, small blade, TL15 portable computer, comm dot (assuming no neural comm), wafer chips for every possible skill, tool laser, TL14 medikit, and personal automedic. You know, just the basics. If we’re in less civilized areas I’ll
probably need a backpack for a few extra items.
Last edited by Old School on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GenericSuperhero
Cub

Postby GenericSuperhero » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:54 am

I'll go with "depends of TL".

For transhuman (TL18+) I'd say nothing spare clothes on one's back, as everything else is hardwired into brain or made into bionic equivalent (like multitool-shifting hands or sth).
TL15 has nice cybernetics that take over most mundane things, like perception enhancements, comm/data transfer/payment/timechecking devices, sometimes weapons.

Other that that, comms, computers, some local (wherever they usually stop) equivalent of money. If expecting trouble(aka."job"), specialization-tied equipment: medic would have medkits, engis would carry a set of tools, etc., maybe some weapons. In the wild - concrete or natural - add personal weapons and armor.
Baldo
Mongoose

Postby Baldo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:09 pm

GenericSuperhero wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:54 am
21st Century Terra or Aramis/Aramis in 1105 share one thing: the wrist watch! I *NEED* a wrist watch, I *ALWAYS* get a wrist watch as soon as possible.
Usually, I start with a TL10 wrist watch with a radio transceiver and a Translator program, adding upgrades later (do you can have a Geiger Counter in your watch?), and I've adopted wrist watches from GURPS (here and here) too.
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:20 pm

Baldo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:09 pm
GenericSuperhero wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:54 am
21st Century Terra or Aramis/Aramis in 1105 share one thing: the wrist watch! I *NEED* a wrist watch, I *ALWAYS* get a wrist watch as soon as possible.
Usually, I start with a TL10 wrist watch with a radio transceiver and a Translator program, adding upgrades later (do you can have a Geiger Counter in your watch?), and I've adopted wrist watches from GURPS (here and here) too.
Wrist watch ... there's something I haven't seen in over 10 years - with the exception of smartwatch app developers because they have to.
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:46 pm

You haven't seen a watch in ten years? Things must be different in your part of the world.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:30 pm

WingedCat
Mongoose

Postby WingedCat » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:14 pm

http://wristoffice.com/ has a less-concept more-practical version of that. I've been wearing one of theirs for many years.
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:03 am

One of the little items i’ve put on my campaign’s available gadgets list is a personal emergency locator beacon. About the size of the average button, when activated the device sends a repeating radio distress signal. It’s already come in handy once or twice....
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:38 pm

As kids grow, they want to explore, push boundaries, and make their own rules. Whether your child is on a family outing, at an amusement park, or on a school trip, tracking devices for kids give you one less thing to worry about. And whether your child is starting kindergarten or is in middle school, kids’ GPS watches and other wearable GPS technology help you keep track of your child’s day without being too intrusive—giving you the peace of mind that every parent dreams of. We’ve compiled a list of the best GPS trackers for kids on the market today, so you can find the right fit for your kid’s lifestyle.
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:35 am

I’ve been considering a variant beacon - a bright red button that says ‘Don’t Panic’ when inactive and ‘Panic!!!’ when activated...
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:40 pm

Your TL's version of keys, a phone, watch, wallet (for your money) and clothes.
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:49 am

Maybe a lucky <small native herbivore>’s foot?
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:43 am

steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 pm

My standard substitute for a smart phone, watch, etc. is eyeglasses that include a computer, communications system, etc., with the glasses as the display. For concentrated work it can make the display opaque, but normally it operates as a heads up display. Input can include speech, typing onto a virtual keyboard that exists in the heads up display but appears on any convenient surface, or on an external physical input device, such a a roll-up keyboard.

It was a pretty exotic idea when I imagined it in the 1980s (and even when I mentioned it as a character's possession in my 2001 JTAS article), but it's more or less what Google Glass tried to be.
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:22 am

As long as there’s a mirrorshade variant.... 8)
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:39 pm

I usually thought about this from a Credit point of view.

I use a simple rule: for every 10000 CR received during Mustering Out, they carry 100 CR is "cash". Maximum is 1000 CR. Of course this isn't all cash, but could be a fancy watch etc. that could be pawned. It's a simple way to create "treasure" for the NPCs.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:00 am

Equipment and cash seemed to have been deliberately separated.