Weapons for a special-operations ship

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Old School
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Weapons for a special-operations ship

Postby Old School » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:10 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:32 pm
The ships in HG is just carbon copies of ships from CT Fighting Ships, they make no more sense under MgT2 rules than they did under CT rules.

Right. I take that as an unwritten rule that 6G is the max for starships.

Otherwise, you have to redesign damn near every ship you come across in a campaign. SDBs, for example, would all be 9G. Ships already have to choose between a high jump number and high armament. 9G m drives add to that math, if only slightly.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Old School wrote: Right. I take that as an unwritten rule that 6G is the max for starships.
Makes sense, but we have to wait for a 3I sourcebook for confirmation.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:26 pm

Moppy wrote: edit: i think your calculation looks fine but it's not resolved this way in the combat rules.
Dear God, I hope not. If I had to make such calculations for each salvo fired I would choose a different combat system.
baithammer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby baithammer » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:46 am

Might be better to have the ship as a tender and deploy stealth shuttles to do the covert operations instead.
Moppy
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:12 am

Old School wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:10 pm
AnotherDilbert wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:32 pm
The ships in HG is just carbon copies of ships from CT Fighting Ships, they make no more sense under MgT2 rules than they did under CT rules.

Right. I take that as an unwritten rule that 6G is the max for starships.

Otherwise, you have to redesign damn near every ship you come across in a campaign. SDBs, for example, would all be 9G. Ships already have to choose between a high jump number and high armament. 9G m drives add to that math, if only slightly.
Today we're building vehicles with much less than the maximum possible speed. If you were to look in a current Jane's aircraft you might be "fooled" into thinking that mach 3 planes aren't possible.

If you're a wargamer (e.g. for Trillion Credit Squadron) you will need to re-design the ships anyway. If not, then everything's fine in RPG land.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:05 pm

If your ships primary mission is to sneak in to drop off small units then it should be equipped to be stealthy and fast. If it has to engage an enemy then it's covert mission is blown. It should have sharp teeth to take out a small patrol vessel that stumbles upon it, but otherwise it should choose to run from anything approaching its size since that ship is probably optimized for combat and not stealth.

Think more beam weapons than nukes. Beams can potentially disable or kill somewhat silently, but nukes are a giant "here I am!" beacon, especially out-system. Max out your ecm and electronics since that's defensive and sneaky in nature.
Old School
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:20 pm

I agree with Phavoc. This thing can't carry a company of marines, all their gear, and deployment shuttles and still be heavily armed. Missiles are great if you can fire them in huge quantities, which takes space you might not have. Barbettes and triple turrets maximize firepower/space used.

One of my players designed a 200 ton stealth ship to be used to insert / retrieve small teams or cargo. Externally it looks like a free trader. Has M4 and J4 drives, and 4 staterooms. Stealth hull and stealth jump. It has about 2 tons of cargo space, plus a 30 ton module like a modular cutter would carry. That module can be swapped out for different missions. The favorite module holds a 20 ton launch and 2 more staterooms. Another holds 5 staterooms, a med bay and some cargo. Another holds a G-Carrier and barracks.

The "launch" is also stealthed, heavily armored, and can do 9Gs.

It ain't cheap, but it's cool.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:46 pm

You might either have to enlarge the vessel and use it as a mothership with a bigger selection of secondary craft, or shrink it with a smaller complement but more usable to sneak in and out.