Would their be reprecussions?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Would their be reprecussions?

Postby JMISBEST » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Based on Traveller Adventure I was helping A Friend with years back and not knowing how it turned out do you think their would be any repercussion's for A Cop in the following situation?

He or she was racing to another city on the same planet with A Vial of Serum that was needed to save a life and on the way saw someone break into a house and ignored it because he or she decided that saving the life of a sentient being was far more important then nicking a thief who was likely only a minor thief for what was definitely only a very minor crime?
PsiTraveller
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Would their be reprecussions?

Postby PsiTraveller » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 pm

Does the Cop have a radio or phone to call in and say "Hey, I saw someone breaking into a house on X street, send another unit."

How would the Cop even see someone breaking into a house if they are racing to save a life?
How would anyone else know what the cop had actually seen. Did the officer actually tell anyone, "Hey I was driving to save a life but noticed in a split second while driving along a road someone at a house that was breaking in. I did not stop." Well the repercussions of that is the cop is fired for being stupid.

And yes driving a vial is more important than a likely small time thief the cop somehow saw while racing to save a life.

Did your brother break into you account again?
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby JMISBEST » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:25 pm

PsiTraveller wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 pm
Does the Cop have a radio or phone to call in and say "Hey, I saw someone breaking into a house on X street, send another unit."

How would the Cop even see someone breaking into a house if they are racing to save a life?
How would anyone else know what the cop had actually seen. Did the officer actually tell anyone, "Hey I was driving to save a life but noticed in a split second while driving along a road someone at a house that was breaking in. I did not stop." Well the repercussions of that is the cop is fired for being stupid.

And yes driving a vial is more important than a likely small time thief the cop somehow saw while racing to save a life.

Did your brother break into you account again?
No but I'm trying and failing at making the things I post easier to understand. Sorry
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:17 pm

Well, delivering the serum would obviously be more important than stopping the thief, but if the cop had some form of radio, phone or other communicator they could have called it in so other units could have responded.

Additionally, depending on where the break-in took place and what local jurisdictions look like, the cop might not even be allowed to intervene. Just a thought.
Pyromancer
Banded Mongoose

Postby Pyromancer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:55 pm

Even if it would be against the law (we don't know, because we don't know the laws of the place where this happens), most juridical systems have some form of "exculpating emergency" exception that allows the prosecutors to NOT prosecute lawbreaking in pursuit of a "higher goal". It's against the law to steal, but stealing a boat to rescue a drowning person doesn't put you in prison in most systems.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:25 am

If it's within the cop's jurisdiction, priority 1 is completing the assignment. Petty thievery, B&E, are not enough of a priority. The character should call it in and let the precinct handle it. Maybe come back later to make inquiries and submit dashcam footage as they were officer on scene during the incident.

If you're playing Judge Dredd getting the vaccine across the Cursed Earth, you are not going to stop just because you spot Luthor stealing forty cakes. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
ChalkLine
Weasel

Postby ChalkLine » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:04 am

As noted above we need to know the culture, government and policing set up.

In Australia now the policeman would be reprimanded for not informing the police service that there was a crime in process. The policeman had no idea if it was a simple break and enter or a murder attempt. The policeman would probably have that entered onto their record, but obviously so would the life-saving serum delivery be entered.