Chargen Questions

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
haphazarduk
Cub

Chargen Questions

Postby haphazarduk » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:36 pm

If you secure a commission from Military Academy and therefore enter your chosen career as a rank 1 officer does that mean you don't get the non-commission rank 0 skill?

Under Graduation Benefits for Military Academy it says "an additional +1 Edu" in a similar way to the benefits for University. The language suggests there was a previous bump to EDU pre-graduation. Is this an oversight and the word additional should be removed or is there a bonus missing on EDU from basic benefits (or am I being too pedantic?).

Hap
Old School
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Chargen Questions

Postby Old School » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:49 pm

There’s nothing in the unofficial errata otherwise, so I would take it as written. If you’re commissioned straight out of the academy (this really should be automatic if you graduate IMO), you are never a rank 0 Private or Marine, so you don’t get the rank 0 skill. You’ve already got Gun Combat from basic training, but you don’t get Gun Combat 1.

Likewise, I don’t see the “additional” as meaning you should have already gotten an EDU boost for attending academy.

One could certainly make an argument otherwise, but as written, you don’t get them.

All that said, most folks tweak character generation in some way to suit their game. If you want your travellers to be a bit stronger, go for it.
haphazarduk
Cub

Re: Chargen Questions

Postby haphazarduk » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Oh sure - I'll go RAW in the absence of errata - just interested to see if that was the intention or not :)

Hap